Zero dollars to retire early

mickj

Recycles dryer sheets
Found this story of a family in Russia fascinating. Funny how many 'first world' problems I find myself worrying about all the time. This Smithsonian article is a great read.

For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of World War II | History & Archaeology | Smithsonian Magazine

For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of World War II

In 1978, Soviet geologists prospecting in the wilds of Siberia discovered a family of six, lost in the taiga....

Wow, that is quite a story. Really interesting that they didn't want to leave the harsh life they led for so many years.

I admire this remarkable family with its unusual family cohesiveness, faith and indomitable will and strength to survive the harshest and barren elements. It put some of our trivial discontent into perspective. Yet, I was left with a sense of mild wistfulness after reading the article.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Incredible story. I wouldn't have survived the first winter.

-ERD50

Interesting story. The part that caught my attention was how they liked watching television. They thought it was sinful, but it didn't stop them from watching it. This seems to be a common behavior pattern for many people (not just with TV, but with many things):

"proved irresistible for them.... On their rare appearances, they would invariably sit down and watch. Karp sat directly in front of the screen. Agafia watched poking her head from behind a door. She tried to pray away her transgression immediately—whispering, crossing herself.... The old man prayed afterward, diligently and in one fell swoop."

They tried to pray away their sins, but they kept coming back for more :LOL:

Everything is a sin. Better go live in a hole in the ground.

Incredibly difficult survival conditions. Yet they managed quiet well. Note that from ONE seed which they guarded, had many more.

The sad part is that Dimitry died. A guy who could run animals to their near death. Does anyone have an understanding of what kind of stamina that requires? Killed by pneumonia. As they admit, most liekely contracted from their discoverers.

IMHO they would have infinitely been better off not being contacted and "helped". And yes, TV is a maximally corrupting media.

I am in awe of their survival skills.

Amazing story, but I am pretty sure that what the went through on a daily basis is exactly the opposite of retirement.

Back
Top Bottom