Ziebart Undercoating

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I live in Upstate NY, and we throw road salt down as if it were free and harmless.

I just bought a new Highlander. Someone suggested I get the Ziebart undercoating. I hadn't heard of Ziebart in years, and in fact didn't know they still existed.

Whatchathink? Worth the money?

What's an undercoat job cost nowadays?

Any ill-effects from having it done?

These people have something to say. There's quite a lot of negative press out there. Is it true? IDK.

http://ziebart.pissedconsumer.com/

"Ziebart took advantage of my 65 yr old wife telling her that when performing a test thay we didnt ask for they found that the car needed addional protection above and beyond the original 5yr maintains agreement we paid for. Beware they seem to target seniors."

I have a friend who swears by rustproofing (through another company). He is a very good shade tree mechanic who lives in Indianapolis.

(I purchased my last two cars in FL, and drove them north. They were each 2-3 years old, which gives me a head start on rust prevention. I usually only keep them 5 or 6 years which is before the rust starts.)

I use Ziebart on all my vehicles. They re-undercoat each year, and do a shine on the outside and the carpets on the inside.

It will make a HUGE difference. Maybe my shop here in MN is better than others, but rustproofing in MN is mandatory if you want to keep the rust out. I have a 2003 truck, purchased in 2002, and it is still mostly rust free.

I'd suggest looking for links of actual studies, not anecdotes. From what I recall of the subject, the after-market rust-proofing was actually a negative, the added stuff trapped moisture and made cars rust out sooner.

It's not like an an individual can do a controlled study. My 15 year old Volvo, driven on our salted Midwest streets, has only recently developed a little rust behind the left front wheel. No after-market rustproofing. And I rarely wash it, haven't washed it in years. One data point, not very meaningful, but there you go.

-ERD50

IMO, since automakers went to double sided galvanizing and electrostatic priming years ago, rust proofing doesn't add any value. It might even plug some drain holes like in the bottom of doors.

Google 'aftermarket rustproofing' and almost everything that comes up (other than from the rustproofing industry) says aftermarket rustproofing is a waste of money and might even do more harm than good.

IMO, since automakers went to double sided galvanizing and electrostatic priming years ago, rust proofing doesn't add any value. It might even plug some drain holes like in the bottom of doors.

Seems they missed the vehicles shipped to SW Penssylvania. My 98 GMC pickup is mostly rust, as another data point. My 99 Suburban is pristine, no rust anywhere, no undercoating and never been driven in road salt slush.:cool:

There are far too many shiny on top vehicles with rusted out frames and undersides which fail the annual safety inspections required. They are dime a dozen on craiglist auto parting out sections.

I am sure the aftermarkest undercoated vehicles fare no better around here. PA seems to use magnesium chloride for roadway ice treatment. You can hear the stuff munching on metal and paint. Very effective for ice removal and vehicle destruction.:D:LOL:

The road salt treatments sure help out the auto sales.

Last edited:
This is another area that I wish automakers would address. I'd gladly pay an extra chunk of money to have the frame dip-galvanized an extra time or two, for back-priming of body panels with something really good (is zinc chromate still allowed by law?), etc. Maybe most car buyers wouldn't pay extra for this stuff (if you're gonna dump the car in 4 years anyway . . . ), but if it were an option I'd 1) much rather pay for that than buy an electric seatwarmer or similar baubles and 2) this is the kind of option that would induce this skinflint to buy new rather than used.
Give me a 10 year transferable warranty against rust perforation to show that they mean it (entire part to be replaced), and I'd be willing to pay another grand or so, even on a low-end car. Once the rust takes hold, that's pretty much it.

What's funny is that people here never buy Ziebart and undercoating is a thing of the past. And we never see any rusted out vehicles. Of course we seldom see snow or ice--thank Goodness.

Many owners just don't keep vehicles long enough where they'd be rust buckets.

Google 'aftermarket rustproofing' and almost everything that comes up (other than from the rustproofing industry) says aftermarket rustproofing is a waste of money and might even do more harm than good.

Au contraire. When I was a kid we always got vehicles undercoated to mitigate rust. Then the manufacturers got better at rustproofing and for many years there was no need to.

But today is different.... between the use of recycled steel in vehicles and, more importantly, the use of brine on roads rather than salt, over the last 5 years or so we are now starting to see much more rust issues. In fact, part of the reason I am trading my 2005 with ~123k miles is because the frame is so rusted that it likely will not pass inspection.... and that is after having it undercoated a few years ago but unfortunately way too late.

If you live in a northern climate where they use brine or salt on the roads some form of undercoating is mandatory unless you want a rust bucket down the road.

I hadn't heard of Ziebart for years. Around here Fluid Film is popular.

Check the manufacturers warranty. I was going to get my first new car under coated and found it would have voided the warranty.
Also the salesman (ex BIL) told me to not let the 'finance guy' talk me into any add ons. Glad I stayed friendly with sisters ex....

Upstate NY is tough on cars.

This is another area that I wish automakers would address. I'd gladly pay an extra chunk of money to have the frame dip-galvanized an extra time or two, for back-priming of body panels with something really good (is zinc chromate still allowed by law?), etc.

Ford is building the new trucks will aluminum. F150s came out in 2014. I am waiting in the 2017 F350s to come out later this year.

Ford is building the new trucks will aluminum. F150s came out in 2014. I am waiting in the 2017 F350s to come out later this year.
It will be interesting to see how that turns out. The F-150 still has a lot of steel (e.g. the ladder frame is steel), and using aluminum will only improve longevity if all the potential bi-metalic corrosion areas have been properly isolated and if aluminum's weaknesses compared to steel have been adequately addressed (e.g. fatigue resistance: aluminum brackets are far more prone to cracking than steel ones unless great care is taken). Anyway, I wish them the best. Monkeying around with the F-150--their cash machine--was a gutsy move.

VW has been offering a 12 year rust perforation warranty for many years.

Car Care People trains, supports and implements the Revlink program
That's great to know, thanks.

Last edited:
I had a car oil sprayed, then kept it for 12 years with zero rust.
I did this because consumer report decades ago did testing and said oil spray (think thick car oil) was the best and crept into all the little spots that were hidden.

I didn't do it on my last car as I no longer live in the snow belt States.

I had a car oil sprayed, then kept it for 12 years with zero rust.
I did this because consumer report decades ago did testing and said oil spray (think thick car oil) was the best and crept into all the little spots that were hidden.

I didn't do it on my last car as I no longer live in the snow belt States.

That may be a better idea.... Move out of the salted road area.

It will be interesting to see how that turns out. The F-150 still has a lot of steel (e.g. the ladder frame is steel), and using aluminum will only improve longevity if all the potential bi-metalic corrosion areas have been properly isolated and if aluminum's weaknesses compared to steel have been adequately addressed (e.g. fatigue resistance: aluminum brackets are far more prone to cracking than steel ones unless great care is taken). Anyway, I wish them the best. Monkeying around with the F-150--their cash machine--was a gutsy move............
This change occurred under Alan Mulally after he came from Boeing. Hopefully he knew a few people in the aluminum business that could provide guidance. :D

Oh my, I didn't know Ziebart was still in business.

\
I hadn't heard of Ziebart for years. Around here Fluid Film is popular.

I use Fluid Film on my Jeep. It works great and is easy to apply. You can buy aerosol cans of it or gallons and spray it on with a compressor.

Back
Top Bottom