Zsa Zsa

So?

I'm not saying that's not true. But in some cases it simply may not matter if the disease or injury is bad enough. Healthy people are fallible too.

Of course. But don't you want the odds on your side? And staying fit improves the odds of having a high quality of life. You still may get hit by something unexpected, but maybe not.

What's the old joke? "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself"?

And unrelated, but I just like it "At my age, I don't even buy green bananas!".

-ERD50

Bet with the odds

99% of everything is statistical. Occasionally a 40 BMI individual outlives a 20 BMI individual. But the median active person unquestionably lives longer than the median sedentary person.

Back to good old Zsa Zsa and FIRE. I wonder if she waited to 70 to claim her SS? If one is a showbiz-type celebrity and can still generate intermittent earned income even at advanced ages, would there be any benefit to starting SS before 70?

I read the blog of an obese woman whose hernia is inoperable. No surgeon dares touch her. The last time she had a hysterectomy, the surgical wound took a year to close.

Her skin is stretched so thin now, and the intestine is visibly protruding such that she wrote that one of these days, she may sneeze too hard and it would pop out from her belly (that's her word!).

She has been trying to get into a hospice care, but gets declined for some reason. She is 60-year-old.

Last edited:
OK. I give up.

It sounds like a lot of people want to use the fact that life is inherently unfair to avoid doing things that they can to improve their odds. I guess it is human nature to avoid doing the hard things, by claiming that it does not matter.
No - I don't think so. I don't think people are saying don't exercise and try to stay healthy because life isn't fair.

Of course. But don't you want the odds on your side? And staying fit improves the odds of having a high quality of life. You still may get hit by something unexpected, but maybe not.

What's the old joke? "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself"?

And unrelated, but I just like it "At my age, I don't even buy green bananas!".

-ERD50
Again - I'm not saying don't try to stay fit. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea I'm saying not to stay fit.

A simple RIP Zsa Zsa will do. 99, that's a long life even in today's standard. I feel sorry for her final years.

I read the blog of an obese woman whose hernia is inoperable. No surgeon dares touch her. The last time she had a hysterectomy, the surgical wound took a year to close.

Her skin is stretched so thin now, and the intestine is visibly protruding such that she wrote that one of these days, she may sneeze too hard and it would pop out from her belly (that's her word!).

She has been trying to get into a hospice care, but gets declined for some reason. She is 60-year-old.

Winner! An anecdote that proves every point!

Now we can get back to Zsa Zsa. I always enjoyed her and Eva's appearances even though they were the Kardashians of our (or maybe our parents) generation. Despite the occasional craziness, they both seemed to have class, which tends to be missing in today's famous-for-being-famous types. I'm sorry she had such a rough time at the end. Personally, I'm sticking with the live fast, die fast, and drink a bottle of booze a day but never die of cirrhosis plan.

The Gabor sisters.....boy, I had a crush on her sister Eva as a young man (watching her on Green Acres). I could never really understand however EXACTLY why they were famous. They are kind of like George Hamilton. Always impeccably dressed, ageless etc. Memories

33 posts and 97% of them NOT about poor Zsa Zsa!

Here are seven of Zsa Zsa Gabor’s best quotes about men and marriage:

1. "I'm an excellent housekeeper. Every time I get a divorce, I keep the house."
2. "There is nothing wrong with a woman encouraging a man’s advances, as long as they are in cash."
3. “I know nothing about sex, because I was always married.”
4. "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"
5. "I never hated a man enough to give him his diamonds back."
6. "A man in love is incomplete until he has married. Then he's finished."
7. "Husbands are like fires. They go out when unattended."

Sources: Dictionary of Quotations (Wordsworth Collection, 1998), USA TODAY research

Was the "famous for being famous" line actually used contemporaneously with the Gabors? I only first recalled hearing about it when applied to Paris Hilton (And Zsa Zsa was married to Conrad Hilton - go figure). I thought it was new then.

As far as so many posts being a little off topic, that's pretty typical around here. And when someone is famous for being famous, seems like it has all been said - in public.

-ERD50

I suspect that not too many know much about Zsa Zsa, or recall seeing her in movies. She's several generations older. I only recognize the name. I do recall seeing actresses of the next generation in movies, such as Audrey Hepburn (would have been 87), Ursula Andress (80), Catherine Deneuve (73), etc... Those are the ones that popped into my mind at the moment, and I just looked up their age.

I would not know Zsa Zsa was the precursor of the Kardashians. I learned of the latter just from seeing the headlines on Web home pages, and on supermarket tabloids. In the days of pre-Internet, I would not even recognize the name.

Last edited:
When Zsa Zsa is mentioned, I'm always reminded of Bob Hope's famous line about her. When asked how old he thought she was, he said "Just count the rings."

RIP

OK.

In keeping with the thread, I did a quick search on the Web, and learned that she was once jailed for 72 hours for slapping a traffic cop in 1989 when she was 70. Here's another quote to add to the ones Ron Boyd posted.

“I admit I have a Hungarian temper. Why not? I am from Hungary. We are descendants of Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun.” -- Zsa Zsa Gabor

When Zsa Zsa is mentioned, I'm always reminded of Bob Hope's famous line about her. When asked how old he thought she was, he said "Just count the rings."

RIP

A similar line from Tom Waits - "That girl's been married so many times, she has rice marks on her face". :)

-ERD50

I remember seeing Zsa Zsa on some variety show when I was a kid. The audience were woo-wooing and whistling, and I could not see why. I found her scary. She was probably not even 50, but just seemed so fake and old, with her pinched nose, fluffed-up hair, and exaggerated gestures.

I'm curious about the impression from a Hungarian. When I was in Budapest for a few weeks, I don't recall ever coming across any reference to the Gabor sisters. Did anyone in Hungary care?

-ERD50

Never heard of her as a kid in Hungary. I got here in 1965, that is when first heard/seen her and her sister Eva.

The Gabors left Hungary in the ninteen thirites. After 1945 the Russky commie regime prevented any news or info of western successes. I was born in 47. Even if she would have been mentioned it would not be until I was around 15 when became interested in feminine charms and asseets:D

I still appreceiate gorgeous women, but prefer someone else pay the upkeep.:cool:

I always got Zsa Zsa and Eva mixed up. Was expecting to see clips from Green Acres shows after Zsa Zsa's death. I really didn't really feel she was that interesting and both her and Eva on the pretentious side. But I suppose, giving a pretense of importance, some folks may believe and follow.

I did feel for her though the last few years with all her health issues. RIP Zsa Zsa.

Makes you wonder why many of us here are so concerned with getting just the right amount of exercise and eating just the right diet. Terrible horrible things can still go wrong and no amount of whole grains or interval training will save you. Fantastic physical resilience will keep that beating and beating and beating. Keeping you prisoner in the ultimate house of horrors.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
No way! Enough whole grains, no gluten, and the prefect mix of cardio and weight training will make you immortal!

Ha

I agree completely! Except it's low carbs, good oils, interval training, and yoga. Other than that, right on!

The rub is that immortality does not equal eternal youth. There is even an ancient Greek myth about a youth who was given eternal life, but who continued to age in the usual way, until he was so shriveled up and disabled that he begged the gods for death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus

I agree completely! Except it's low carbs, good oils, interval training, and yoga. Other than that, right on!

None of that is any good without wine, loving and song, then to die with a smile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom