RIP Bob Barker

Great American memories........Bob Barker.....

During the summer as a kid, learned the price of a car and fridge...and all kinds of stuff. Also, how important it was to bid but no go over....

Dad owned a furniture factory and the Price is Right called to ask for furniture to give away.....he had to say no...did not send trucks that far west. But we were excited to be asked....LOL.

Wife was delivering kid #1 (30 years ago) and I remember The Price is Right was on the hospital room TV....Son made his appearance during the "showcase showdown"......Born at 12 noon!

We took a trip to California and went to see the Price is Right (early 1990's). They interviewed all the audience members before the show (to determine who to pick) and we were given our Price Tag name tag. We were boring and were not picked but we enjoyed watching it live.

And as Bob Barker would say "remember to spay and neuter your pets"

Good times.

My uncle lived in LA, and when he retired, he goofed around doing this and that. He was a non-union extra in movies, and he bar-tended to the stars.

He and his family tried out on "Family Feud" but were not selected.

He went to The Price is Right and got selected to "come on down." He was in the 4th group and didn't make the stage.

DW and I were watching the reruns and she nearly lost her mind when his name was called. She never knew he made it. It was a fun, quick watch.

At that time, the producers, and sometimes even Bob, would walk the line before the show giving mini-interviews to people. The selection is not random. You actually have 3 seconds to "try out."

It seems like he was always there. It was sad to see him retire (how selfish of me is THAT!?) Sadder to see him go to his reward. Hope folks continue to spay and neuter their pets. It makes pets (and us) happier. RIP

RIP Bob Barker.

What year did his first "Price Is Right" appearance air?

I'm asking because I sorta remember watching that show before I was in grade school. Crazy to think about in those terms :(:(.

He got as close to 100 in age without going over.

When he retired some reporter asked him the classic, know-nothing, “But what will you do in retirement?”

“I was under the impression that one doesn’t have to do anything in retirement,” he replied.

RIP Bob Barker.

What year did his first "Price Is Right" appearance air?

I'm asking because I sorta remember watching that show before I was in grade school. Crazy to think about in those terms :(:(.

It's out there on YouTube.

I watched a few episodes from the late 50s (before Bob) and the bidding format was different and less exciting.

1972 started the rules we know today.

I was in grade school and only saw it on sick days.

Pluto TV, a free app on Fire and Roku devices, has two 24/7 channels for The Price is Right. One channel has Drew Carey episodes and the other has Bob Barker episodes. Both are under the Game Shows tab.
Everyone remembers Bob for The Price is Right, but before that he also did Truth or Consequences from 1956-1975.

He had a good run. RIP Bob Barker.

Last edited:

I watched a few episodes from the late 50s (before Bob) and the bidding format was different and less exciting.

Thanks. I was in grade school then. Like you, watched during those sick days.

Heck, I'm old enough to remember Bill Cullen was the host before Bob Barker. A neighbor of ours was on the original show and somehow won 1000 plastic clothespins which he gave away to neighbors. I still have a few laying around.

I've never seen The Price is Right, but admired him greatly for his other work - he was an animal rights treasure.

May he rest in peace.

I must have been 8 or 9 when I saw my first Price is Right show. Before that I had no idea of the prices on appliances or cars. Hadn’t even thought about it. Consumer training I’m thinking.

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/26/200752493/price-is-right-host-bob-barker-dead

He was 99.

Been watching a lot of classic "The Price Is Right" on PlutoTV to just clear my mind, and be shocked by inflation.

He did a lot of stuff, not the least of which was "punching" Adam Sandler in "Happy Gilmore"

It's fitting that you would be the one to start this thread.

I remember watching "The Price is Right" sometimes when I was in high school on non-school days. We didn't have many choices back then. But it brings back good memories.

The mention of Bill Cullen brings back more memories.

(Barker was accused of harassment but it did not involve contact!) RIP Bob.

I enjoyed watching Truth or Consequences, though I always wondered what would happen if somebody got the answer to the question right. I found out one day, when Bob reached into his coat pocket and brought out a second question for the helpless audience member to answer. Barker looked like he enjoyed the job.

It's not just the household pets he cared about but the larger animals as well. The Wild Animal Sanctuary in Colorado received a lot of his generosity. The lion house was built with his support. When the government of Bolivia closed their zoo, he paid for the planes to transport the lions up to Colorado. As I recall, he was as the airport hangar when the lions arrived to welcome them to their new life.

I remember watching TPIR in 1974, when it was still a 30-minute show. When it was expanded to an hour in 1975, they had that wheel the first and last 3 winners spun to see who advanced to the final showcase showdown.

TPIR is one of many daytime game shows I watched a lot, mainly during the summer, when grade school was out. Bill Cullen was my favorite host, though, hosting a show called "Three On A Match" in the afternoon. Another was "High Rollers" hosted by a young moustachioed Alex Trebek.

I remember watching Truth or Consequences, also hosted by Barker, before he began hosting TPIR, so I was glad to see him host what I felt was a better overall show.

I didn't watch the show much, of ever, starting in the 1980s. So, when I happened to see it air one day, I was taken aback a little when I saw him with a full head of grey hair. "Wow, he is getting OLD!" I thought to myself.

RIP Bob Barker

TPIR is one of many daytime game shows I watched a lot, mainly during the summer, when grade school was out. Bill Cullen was my favorite host, though, hosting a show called "Three On A Match" in the afternoon. Another was "High Rollers" hosted by a young moustachioed Alex Trebek.

For some reason, I always watched "High Rollers" when sick or there is a summer rain day.

Last night we watched "To Tell The Truth" and Bill Cullen was hosting for Gary Moore. Cullen usually was a panelist during these 70s era shows. The show appears on Buzzr on PlutoTV from time to time.

I remember watching as a kid and thinking it was too high brow. Now as an older person, I like it. Today the show appears occasionally on ABC network TV in prime time with Anthony Anderson as host, usually a few times a year. The current format is mostly fluff and snark. I don't like it.

One other thing about "To Tell The Truth" from the 1970s... Kitty Carlisle has GOT TO BE the prototype for Lovie Howell on "Gilligan's Island."

He was such a kind and likable man who was certainly gifted with great genes. Remember him from Truth or Consequences, which I think preceded Price is Right IIRC.

I remember watching TPIR in 1974, when it was still a 30-minute show. When it was expanded to an hour in 1975, they had that wheel the first and last 3 winners spun to see who advanced to the final showcase showdown.

I remember watching Truth or Consequences, also hosted by Barker, before he began hosting TPIR, so I was glad to see him host what I felt was a better overall show.

I didn't watch the show much, of ever, starting in the 1980s. So, when I happened to see it air one day, I was taken aback a little when I saw him with a full head of grey hair. "Wow, he is getting OLD!" I thought to myself.

RIP Bob Barker

I'm amazed that you can remember this much detail of TV shows that you watched 49 years ago. Stunning.

Back
Top Bottom