ZTE Cell Watch and the future of cell phones

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anybody looked at this cell phone watch. At less than 1/2 the price of the Apple Watch it might be a good alternative.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/319...best-android-wear-value-plain-and-simple.html

Big drawbacks are it only runs on T-Mobile's network (you have to have a T-mobile phone plan to link with it), runs on 3G not LTE, and it is big and bulky.

Pluses are the price, long battery life and apparently good performance as a phone and for doing things like streaming music.

OK, to many big negatives for me, but still, I have to think that Dick Tracy might be interested in it for work.

IMHO, I think we are moving in the direction of having all of today's phone tasks carried out on a watch or very small device no more than 1/4 the size of an iPhone 8. If one needs a bigger screen to work with, then it will wirelessly connect to one but that will be optional. No more need to have to stuff a bulky phone into your pocket or that little purse ladies carry for special outings.

Last edited:
I answer phone calls on my Apple Watch all the time as long as my iPhone is not too far away (on another floor of the house is fine). Works beautifully and I do get that "Dick Tracy" feeling every time it happens.

Be wary of those Chinese brands not spying on you.

"OK Chief, I'll get on it right away!"
dicktracy.jpg

I find this watch fascinating because it does fall in a more reasonable price range. I think we can expect big changes in the cell watch business over the next few years. Today's $400+ Apple Watch will be less capable than a $200 cell watch in a few years. So, the idea of paying that much for the Apple Watch does not do much for me. Not that I am going to run out and buy the ZTE watch. Instead I will watch and wait... pun intended.

Back
Top Bottom