$150 For Opening a Loan - What's the Catch?

CaptTom

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Citizen's bank sent me an ad: "For a limited time, receive a $150 Amazon.com Gift Card upon closing on a new personal loan."

According to the ad, all I need to do is close on a $10,000 loan to get the card. The ad specifically says "No fees ever." It goes on to say "$0 origination fee, $0 prepayment penalty and $0 late fees."

So what's to stop me from taking the loan, repaying it in full the next day, and blowing $150 on stuff I don't need from Amazon?

Of course, I have to actually apply before I can see ALL the fine print. I'm guessing there's a catch in there somewhere. Anyone know?

FYI, I don't really care if there's a short-term impact to my credit report. I have no intention of borrowing money or taking out a loan anytime soon, if ever.

Probably nothing to stop immediate payment. They know the odds of that are so slim they can afford a few "flakes". :LOL:

If you can pay off the loan via electronic payment, you'll probably owe 1 or 2 days of interest; seems worthwhile provided no funny fine print such as early payment penalty.

P.S. Sorry for this off topic comment but it is funny. A few years ago I got an unsolicited letter advising I was pre-approved for a loan. One of the loan's benefits, according to the letter was "No late payment fee if you pay on time!"

If you can pay off the loan via electronic payment, you'll probably owe 1 or 2 days of interest; seems worthwhile provided no funny fine print such as early payment penalty.

P.S. Sorry for this off topic comment but it is funny. A few years ago I got an unsolicited letter advising I was pre-approved for a loan. One of the loan's benefits, according to the letter was "No late payment fee if you pay on time!"

My thought is maybe they're charging 18% interest and there is a minimum of 1 month interest no matter how quickly you pay it off = $150

Bingo!

$10,000 minimum loan, 1.5%/mo, 1 month minimum charge.

It may be real.

I was given three checks to write up to my credit limit, and I would still get rewards. ~$25K at the time. I wrote all three, one at a time, and received $650 back in rewards. It cost about $200 (at 18%) to do it. The rewards were Speedy Rewards checks, only redeemable at the gas station. They came in a manually addressed envelope.

The next offer was not good for rewards bonuses.

What's the interest rate?

"Fixed rates as low as 6.79% APR" according to the ad.

So is the consensus that I'd have to pay at least one month's interest?

That brings the "take" down to under $100. Probably not worth the time it'll take to wade through the fine print, and the risk that I'll end up somehow paying more in interest than I get back.

"Fixed rates as low as 6.79% APR" according to the ad.

So is the consensus that I'd have to pay at least one month's interest?

That brings the "take" down to under $100. Probably not worth the time it'll take to wade through the fine print, and the risk that I'll end up somehow paying more in interest than I get back.

I would simply call their customer service number and directly ask the question.

However, in general, applying for a loan is more time consuming and involved than the credit card or bank account bonus offers. There are still plenty of bank account and credit card offers paying $100 to $750 which simply take a couple minutes to do online.

Back
Top Bottom