2 commas

Congratulations !!!!!

I retired at 52, have not touched my 401K other than roll it over to an IRA with Fidelity..... I am $4492.22 from two commas, this is just my IRA ...... So close, maybe next week it will happen :) Another Milestone

LakeRat posted this last week. He should be very close today, or is there already if he has concentrations in the hot sectors or international stocks.

Set your sights on getting the third now, no rest for the wicked ��

On a logarithmic scale, the distance from $1M to $1B is the same as from $1K to $1M. We all can recall when our networth was $1K.

The first 1000x is quite doable, as many have found. To grow it just 10X after your first $1M is a lot tougher.

A message from a geezer on paying attention to inflation: My financial assets first reached seven digits in February 1996. I had retired in 1993. Those assets do not include my real estate. (The debt-free house paid me no cash but saved me paying cash out for rent or mortgage interest.) That million dollar figure for 1996 was in the dollars of 1996. I keep my records with each weekly entry in current dollars but also corrected for inflation. This shows the purchasing power of the financial assets as corrected for my base year, 1988. (Then, nearly 40, I got serious about retirement planning in 1988. I had also seen the disruptive power of inflation in the late 1970's and the grief in inflicted on my aging relatives. My record of my weekly closes now goes back 29 years.) Using the purchasing power of 1988 dollars, I first reached seven figures in net (financial) worth in September, 1997. Of course, you already knew that inflation makes reaching a million current bucks easier but less significant.

Good job, milestones deserve a celebration!

A message from a geezer on paying attention to inflation: My financial assets first reached seven digits in February 1996. I had retired in 1993. Those assets do not include my real estate. (The debt-free house paid me no cash but saved me paying cash out for rent or mortgage interest.) That million dollar figure for 1996 was in the dollars of 1996. I keep my records with each weekly entry in current dollars but also corrected for inflation. This shows the purchasing power of the financial assets as corrected for my base year, 1988. (Then, nearly 40, I got serious about retirement planning in 1988. I had also seen the disruptive power of inflation in the late 1970's and the grief in inflicted on my aging relatives. My record of my weekly closes now goes back 29 years.) Using the purchasing power of 1988 dollars, I first reached seven figures in net (financial) worth in September, 1997. Of course, you already knew that inflation makes reaching a million current bucks easier but less significant.

Right, but more interesting perhaps, would be how your financial assets have done till now. In 1988 dollars and current dollars? Have you kept ahead of inflation?

I enjoyed joining the 2 comma club so much that I crossed it several times both ways. :)

i don't include my house. I came within $500 a couple days ago....waiting patiently....:)

Not interested in 3 commas, but 8 digits might be nice.

Sure, here you go: 123,456.78 there's your eight digits :)

For us, the only thing that counted was the investable assets, which when included with the pension (and future SS), allows us to live... when those added up to over two of those thousand-thousand things (what do you call them again?) and we qualified for our pension with paid off house, etc, then we called it a day and started our process of heading off into the sunset :dance: -- now two years in our happy place

congrats Dallas27 that is a good number to see. Keep on keeping on.

Congrats Dallas27! I also reached that milestone a few months ago and have not shared with Anyone until now. This does not include my equity in my home in So.Ca.
I didn't realize what a truly great achievement this really is. And the fact that I did it all on my own. I am going to pull the trigger in Oct. 17. A couple months past 55. I am scared, but really excited about retiring!

Yes, it's a good feeling. We hit ours last year, I wanted to shout from the roof, but just sat and smiled at the statement.

I enjoyed joining the 2 comma club so much that I crossed it several times both ways. :)

I did the same thing back in 2010, a somewhat tumultuous year. I first hit $1M in April, then dropped below it in May and stayed below until September. I rose above $1M again and have been safely above it since. I am approaching $1.5M and did break the $900k barrier in my non-retirement account earlier this year.

Congrats to Dallas, hope you don't bounce around too much like David1961 and I did. :cool:

I did the same thing back in 2010, a somewhat tumultuous year. I first hit $1M in April, then dropped below it in May and stayed below until September. I rose above $1M again and have been safely above it since. I am approaching $1.5M and did break the $900k barrier in my non-retirement account earlier this year.

Congrats to Dallas, hope you don't bounce around too much like David1961 and I did. :cool:

Totally fine with a bad bounce, I'd rather buy the dip than retire a dip.

With an American lifetime of using the period as the decimal point (and two degrees in math), it's disconcerting to me to read numbers using the comma for that purpose. Is that just my American insularity? Maybe not. Here is a reference on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark
Countries where a dot "." is used as decimal mark include the United Kingdom and the United States. That is the custom in India, China, and Japan, too according to my source. So it seems that most people on Earth today use the period as I do, not that I feel great compulsion to go with the majority. Just that it is convenient.

I'm a firm believer that everyone in the world should:
Speak English
Use the metric system
Drive on the right side of the road
Use . for decimal marks

The last one is due to the fact that a lot of countries that use a comma to separate large numbers also use a decimal point to end sentences. That's just sick and wrong.

The last one is due to the fact that a lot of countries that use a comma to separate large numbers also use a decimal point to end sentences. That's just sick and wrong.

What country doesn't use a decimal point to end sentences?

If we're picking a universal language, I choose Italian. The grammar is far more logical, and if you can say a word, you can spell it.

If we're picking a universal language, I choose Italian. The grammar is far more logical, and if you can say a word, you can spell it.

English is the richest (the most words) language, is spoken fluently by 1/4 of humans, and is the language of business.

Sì, è vero.
Make sure you pronounce the word properly and you can spell it.

E tutti mangeranno meglio.

English is the richest (the most words) language, is spoken fluently by 1/4 of humans, and is the language of business.

Bull, American has more words than english ever will. For instance, in the english language, American isn't even recognized as a language! :)

@#$! or $#!@?

Bull, American has more words than english ever will. For instance, in the english language, American isn't even recognized as a language! :)

Since I'm still w*rking, I probably need the language with the most bad words. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom