2005 Home Energy Costs

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Looks like my total cost for household energy for 2005 is going to be just under $2,200. That's for a one-story, 2700 Sq Ft all-electric house in south central Texas. How did everyone else do?

2-story 3000+ sq ft north of Houston, gas & electric: $2122

1 story, 1850 sq ft. in Virginia total household energy costs for 2005 equal $2350.

Grumpy

I have very good records on this stat. My Electricity and Gas for 2005 was $2300.48

This was for a 3600 Sq. Ft. House in Minneapolis. We do use Air Conditioning in the summer.

4500 sq ft, 2 story house north of Houston - gas/elec $4177 for 2005. $3856 for 2004 - up 8.3%

jj

$1497 for a two-story 2300 sq ft home in Wisconsin. (gas & electric...and we use auxiliary woodheat)

Our utility company states that comparable homes in our area are at $2400 a yr.

Jarhead* said:
ReWahoo: That's in the ballpark with what we pay per year, (3200 Sq. feet in the Sierras), also all electric.
We had no choice, gas not available where we're at. Did you go all electric for the same reason, or by choice?

No gas available, so it was either all electric or propane. The choice to go all electric wasn't so much of a cost factor as a safety and convenience issue. Fewer systems to maintain and no worries about propane leaks or carbon monoxide. Looks like it was another one of my many wise and prophetic decisions 8) as our wind powered electric rates are a relative bargain with the recent run-up in energy prices.

I know, I know. Even a blind hog.... ;)

About $2700 for gas and electric for 2700 sq ft one story patio home in Houston area.  Unfortunately we have about 30 windows, all single pane and they are killers regarding efficiency.  :-\

Edited for typo

House about 1100 sq ft in New England -- Electric 625 Gas 1479

I carve the figures out by heating season rather than calendar year, but I was $1090  for oil (1000 gallons @ $1.09) and $720 for electricity last year for a total of $1810.  

This year I didn't lock in on heating oil so I am paying a float rate around $2.15/gal or thereabouts.  I'm budgeting for $2800/yr.

This is 3200 square foot crumbling occasionally insulated Victorian in Boston.  I wear sweaters.  

2400 sq ft home (including 2nd story master bedroom), all electric, no heat or A/C (six ceiling fans), high efficiency water heater, attic radiant foil insulation, on Oahu.

$2298.57 Property taxes
$ 766.25 Electricity (saved about $200 with the photovoltaic array)
$ 312.00 Homeowner's association dues
$  78.60 Newspaper (Friday-Sunday)
$ 328.25 Phone (local service & long-distance phone card)
$ 424.35 CATV
$ 807.86 Water & sewer (Oahu's sewers are crumbling)
$ 406.70 DSL
$ 886.00 Homeowner's insurance

2700' here in Michigan. $2255 for 2005. A hot tub that runs all winter. ceiling fans, using the wood stove much more this heating season. Will use the A/C less if possible next summer (a long way off). Probably will not get any better.

Outtahere said:
House about 1100 sq ft in New England --  Electric 625 Gas 1479 

This post inspired me to check ours (same size house - similar climate):
Electric 610 Gas 909

Our insulation is poor, but we close off part of the house in the winter.

JG

1500 square foot, two level house in Maryland, just east of DC...

Electric: around $1300
Oil heat: around $800

The original part of the house was built in 1916, with most of the rest of it added by the 30's at the latest (it was originally a 1-level building, but my Grandma remembers sleeping in the front room upstairs when she was 10 years old, which would be 1934), and side porches, bathroom, washroom, etc, added later. Insulation? HA!! What's that? Also got single-pane windows, although there are storm windows too, although I doubt they help much.

Overall I guess it's not TOO bad, given the age of the house. And during the summer, I had three window-shakers running. One of them is ancient, too...it's a CHRYSLER!!! I'm sure Chrysler sold off their air conditioning division eons ago, so I doubt if it's very efficient. Maybe I should call the Smithsonian? :D

$2160 for both electricity and gas in Calgary, Alberta. Our house is approx. 3100 sq. feet and 3 stories if you include the walk-out basement.

$1271 for 1100 sq. feet in central Texas. That includes gas, electricity, water, sewer, and garbage (all utilities but phone and DSL). Like REWahoo, I have wind powered electricity.

I keep it cool/cold in summer and winter.

Calgary_Girl said:
$2160 for both electricity and gas in Calgary, Alberta.  Our house is approx. 3100 sq. feet and 3 stories if you include the walk-out basement.

I forgot to add that our electricity charges also include water, sewer and garbage.

My heating gas bill for 2005 was $2519, up nearly 25% from 2004. My electricity was $600 and I used a small fan to cool me off during the summer not A/C.

2005 Utility bills for a 1670 sq foot home in California. House was built in 2004 and I had extra insulation added. I hope that helped lower the cost somewhat.

Electric 614
Natural gas (heat, cooktop, dryer and hot water) 336

Water/garbage/sewer 835.20

1,109.43 for gas and electric. Two story house with basement about 2532 sf including basement. Some of the gas was for the garage but I discontinued service a couple of months ago so the garage is cold. Seattle area.

We have an all electric 2045 sq. ft. house in the Arizona Desert. Total for the year: $1711.

Considering that we have temps over 100 degrees for 6 months of the year- not so bad!

Interesting prices for heating your homes.

I sold my 3000 sq ft home +basement recently and I must be doing something wrong.
I checked my spending for my energy costs in georgia.

537 Natural Gas
367 electricity
2001 gasoline

Now I'm single and don't cook too much also I don't use the a/c much - I like the fresh air.
Have ya'll tried those ceramic heaters?

Elec - $1519
Nat Gas - $460
Water/sewer/trash - $725
Tax - $2900
HOI - $920

1650sf, gas furnace and water heater, 3ton 12SEER AC unit, electric clothes dryer, sprinkler system...

Just got the oil tank filled up yesterday, and all I have to say is OUCH!! It was topped off back in late October, so from that point I used around 146 gallons. Not too bad I guess, and no higher than the same general timeframe last year and the year before.

The kicker though is the price! 2 years ago I only paid $1.19/gal. Last year it was $1.74/gal. This year it's market price with a $3.19/gal cap. Yesterday's fill-up was at $2.54/gal, plus various fees, tax, etc. Total bill came to $389! :eek:

I think for the whole season two years ago, I only paid like $500! I'd almost be tempted to start thinking about a heat pump, but the moment I did I'm sure that oil prices would plummet. And I'd give up that nice, cozy, instant-toasty feeling of the oil heat.

Back
Top Bottom