2016 YTD investment performance thread

Most of you good folks should take a bow for your good performances. :clap:

My measly 5.7% YTD still looks pretty good to me on a 50/40/10 portfolio.

According to Fidelity's OpenFolio stats:
1 year returns for
50 - 64 year olds .67%
Average investor -.02% ....

What sort of dogs are they investing in... even an online savings account beats those returns.

According to Fidelity's OpenFolio stats:
1 year returns for
.....Top 25 percentile 15.63%

And what are they investing in? I may want some!

If you have a concentrated portfolio, anything can happen.

My best 5 positions come in at 340%, 137%, 45.3%, 42.7%, and 42.6% in YTD return.

Alas, altogether they added up to 1% of portfolio, so do not make that much of a difference. The one that quadruples YTD, it was near bankruptcy and I already gave it up for dead. :)

PS. Even big names like AT&T and International Paper are up 30% and 26% YTD respectively. I have them too, but just not enough. Cummins is the one up 45% in the above list. Caterpillar up 23.9%, and even Walmart is up 23%. Again, I do not have enough of these guys.

Last edited:
Well then, get some more!

I like large cap US stocks, always have. They pay big dividends and make me big gains - :)

What is the chance of large cap dividend-paying US stocks gaining another 20% in 6 months? Even utility sector went up 22% YTD. I have that too, but again not enough.

I missed the boat, so have to wait for the next trip, or to look for another boat. No point in chasing after it.

Last edited:
8.3% ytd. Interesting that my retirement accounts made up of Wellington and vanguard 2035 appeared to have caught up to non retirement over the course of July which is a lot of individual stock picks im sure not helped by the BMY smack.

60/40 with large amount of vwinx (30%) to get bond exposure.
Low cost index funds/etfs....15% foreign...bit of slice and dice

ytd...8.8

1year...10.28

3 year...7.34

5 year...9.46

At the end of August, I am up 8.5%, 1% better than a month ago, thanks to my international funds making a bit of comeback during that span. My short term trades are up 10%, outperforming the market which is my (modest) goal. At the end of the year, I expect my short term trades to be up between 14% - 16%.

Moved some money out of my stock funds to cash to account for part of next year's spending budget. I am not used to doing that given that this is my 1st year of retirement. After always adding to my investment, taking money out of it was hard and awkward experience.

Darn you robnplunder! I wanted to be first.

I'm up 7.53% YTD using XIRR.... 7.44% using moneychimp calculator.

FWIW, I found a good approximation in Excel to the moneychimp calculator result. Calculate the rate given the beginning balance, ending balance and net cash flows for the year two ways... one assuming the addition/withdrawal occurs at the beginning of the year and the other assuming it occurs at the end of the year and then average the two results. 7.46% vs 7.44% using the calculator.

=AVERAGE(RATE(1,x,-y,z,1),RATE(1,x,-y,z,0))
where x = cash flow (positive for net withdrawals, negative for net additions), y = beginning of year balance and z=current balance)

I did just today do a little selling of domestic equities that brought my cash back to my target of 5%. I'm still over-target in domestic equities and under-target in bonds, but by less than 1% in each case... all other categories are within 0.1% of target.

7.18% YTD using XIRR. Moneychimp calculator was 7.09%, so pretty close.

Emerging market equities and bonds have been strong albeit it not a huge part of my allocation, and investment grade bonds have been poor performers (but still positive).

Last edited:
9.3% ytd thru 8/31. Lost 1.1% in Aug.

7.34% YTD, all-in. Up just a couple of tenths from last month. Not as good as some, probably because I've got a decent weighting in REIT's, and they fell around 3 or 4 % from their peak of about a month ago.

7.09% YTD. Just a bit above our benchmark.

Wow, what a coincidence! I just computed my number to be the same. It's actually 7.0896%.

I don't think I do too badly, considering that I hold a wad of cash earning very little, and very little bond. My cash is now at 46%, and bond at 2%. My stocks are doing well, and that makes up for the lousy cash.

Last edited:
I'm at 5.75% ... Still playing a bit too much with Individual Stocks. Should be entirely out of them by the end of the year :)

OH ... Forgot to include, this also accounts for my HSA which legitimately does nothing. Need to get this taken care of prior to Dec too.

Last edited:
I seem to be fairing in line with this august group at 8.6%.

Surely, you may. :)

I have never had much bond. It may not be a wise thing, but I spent more time studying stocks, and did not know much about bonds to feel comfortable holding them, so always had a lot of cash. I call I-bonds and stable value fund in my wife's 401k cash, because the principal does not move when the interest rate changes. So, it is not cash as in "lumps under the mattress", but it still has very low yield.

Usually, my cash is around 20-30%, but recently we moved my wife's 401k to an IRA, and I have been reluctant to reinvest it in this climate. So, I have more cash than I usually do.

Wow, what a coincidence! I just computed my number to be the same. It's actually 7.0896%.

I don't think I do too badly, considering that I hold a wad of cash earning very little, and very little bond. My cash is now at 46%, and bond at 2%. My stocks are doing well, and that makes up for the lousy cash.

Ha! Indeed!

I'm pretty happy with our return, too! Of course I would want it to be more, but I'm not willing to increase the risk level for the reward. Just happy to be matching our benchmark (we were lagging for a while).

+9.9% YTD as of the end of August

80% equities / 20% fixed - No changes made in portfolio this past month and none planned this year unless we see a big drop in the market.

For in-laws' brokerage:

Yield On Cost 4.61%
Current Yield 3.89%
Wellington (VWENX) 2.58%

Performance Gain YTD 11.89%
Wellington (VWENX) 7.77%

Investment Cur%
Financial 4.5%
Consumer Discretionary 1.7%
Technology 3.2%
Industrials 5.0%
Materials 2.4%