2016 YTD investment performance thread

Guesses don't count. :)

As long as it is up I don't worry the exact number...because sooner or later it will go down. The bottoms are ascending though...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yeah I look every now and then... More to monitor my cash position to see if I have enough to buy some more. Warren Buffet didn't advocate watching you positions often "I buy a good stock at a good price and hold it forever" I'm afraid watching too much might cause you to second guess your decisions and then trade ... Besides diverse ETFs and mutual funds are not to exciting ..

But I'd guess conservatively 5% up... And it is at a new high.
But some of that is new savings, match and company pension contributions.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I listened to Warrens interview with his side kick Charlie Munger and Bill Gates. All interesting... Charlie was the most entertaining with the quips, but Warren had a good. He said in every area from medicine to plumbing bringing in a professional improves performance. With one exception...money...Professional money managers actual decrease performance in relation to averages. Maybe in a few years Warren will let it all hang out like Charlie does now.

Equity/Fixed/Cash 70/25/5 portfolio is up 6.49% YTD, 4/29/2016.

31% weight to Utilities and Telecom.

Winning sectors for past month were Energy and Materials, according to:
https://eresearch.fidelity.com/eres...ectors/si_performance.jhtml?tab=siperformance
Equity/Fixed/Cash 70/25/5 portfolio is up 6.80% YTD, 5/29/2016.
That is in-law's brokerage, with individual stocks, ETFs, a few bond funds:
Sector Cur%
Financial 3.8%
Consumer Discretionary 1.8%
Technology 3.1%
Industrials 5.0%
Materials 2.1%
Energy 4.9%
Consumer Staples 0.0%
Health Care 6.6%
Telecom Services 26.2%
Utilities 4.9%
Real Estate 9.6%
TE Long Term 17.2%
TE Short Term 6.6%
High Yield 2.6%
International 2.8%
Cash 2.8%
Our 55/45 portfolio is +2.78% or thereabouts...

Interesting sector and consumer information discussed in this article:

Schwab Sector Views: What is the State of U.S. Consumer Spending?

I do not know :)

But our total Dividend Yield is now about 80k a year generated by 100% equities portfolio.

Hence at this point market going 10% up or 10 down is not overly relevant to us.

Last edited:
XIRR shows an annual rate of 7.38%. Given this low inflation environment, I'm pretty happy with that.

Wow, some of you are doing very well.

I am holding steady at 3.3%. Total asset (investment return - ER spending) has increased.

As far as my mutual funds go, last year's losers are this year's winners and vice versa.

Am still doing well with short term trading.

Up a little from end of April to 3.8% now. My only losers YTD are 2 international mutual funds. All others are in positive territory. Top of the food chain were my energy fund, euro bond fund, and short term trades accounts. Bond funds are doing well as well.

Sell in May and go away? I didn't. Stead as she goes for me.

Up 4.3 ytd on 57/25/18 split. More cash than I'd like but haven't gotten around to redeploying it after moving my IRA from WF to Fido. Annualized would be over 10%. I'd definitely take that this year.

About 5%. I'm a lot more in cash. But I'm slowly investing. My account is at an old time high. I take less risk. I have not checked my husband's account. But I'm sure it's at an all time high.

Last edited:
XIRR 3.78%

AA 40/50/10 (10% cash for planned high expenses this year and next)

The same AA (my 10% cash is due to loading up on PenFed 3% CDs a couple of years ago) and within 0.1% return YTD. Are you copying me or am I copying you? :)

Perhaps we read the same site(s) when we look for financial [-]tips and tricks[/-] advice.

The same AA (my 10% cash is due to loading up on PenFed 3% CDs a couple of years ago) ....

I consider my PenFed CDs as part of fixed income (essentially a substitute for a 5 year bond) rather than cash... for me cash is just checking and savings. I wonder if others of us have different definitions of cash.

Up 3.50% after withdrawals.

Comparison between accounts:
401k +4.07%
After tax port +3.25%
Annuity -1.04
IRA managed by FA +2.69%

As of yesterday's close, I've seen a return of around 2.8% so far this year. Not too bad, I guess.

2.9% if my first stab at it was correct this time.

After a bit of a rocky start this year, I am so pleased with how the market has been doing lately.

Have been patting myself on the back recently but had been forgetting to add in another account. Oh well, still not bad. Presently up 4.33% on the year. 90% investment grade preferreds, 10% cash/Ag mutual fund. Goosed returns a bit with easy shooting fish in the barrel from selling on high bids and then re buying issues at better price. Like anything...It works until it doesnt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I consider my PenFed CDs as part of fixed income (essentially a substitute for a 5 year bond) rather than cash... for me cash is just checking and savings. I wonder if others of us have different definitions of cash.

As well as CD's I also count I-Bonds as cash as they are immediately accessible after the first year and have no risk to principal.

We are up about 25% YTD with the sale of our house, since a lot of people don't count house in their investment portfolio and we didn't buy a new house.

Pretty sweet!

Up around 6.9% YTD mostly due to rebound in energy sector. Now selling some energy sector assets to reduce overall equity exposure (~85% before sales) and energy specific exposure (~36% before sales).

Back
Top Bottom