2016 YTD investment performance thread

Whoohoo - banner day! Our portfolio finally grew enough to replenish the Jan 1 withdrawal. I always feel like celebrating when that happens.

Of course, it can go right back down again and undo all that hard work.......

Whoohoo - banner day! Our portfolio finally grew enough to replenish the Jan 1 withdrawal. I always feel like celebrating when that happens.

OMG, is Whoohoo a close cousin to Whee? Please don't go there.

OMG, is Whoohoo a close cousin to Whee? Please don't go there.

Absolutely not!!!

Unfortunately, our net worth is still well below a year ago, and the portfolio hasn't recovered from the 2015 withdrawal yet.

Last edited:
I never look at the return. I have it all in Wellesley Admiral. I don't even know where to find the return number on the chart. What would I do about it anyway? Switch to CD's at some measly 1.9%? The only time I take anything out is for the RMD. What ever is here is for the kids when I kick the bucket. Someone tell me where to find the return number, please.

The return on Wellesley Admiral YTD is 6.36%, according to Vanguard! Pretty cool. :D
That's terrific! :dance: Mine is doing wonderfully compared with Jan 1st as well.

For once I'm glad I didn't "Sell in May and go away".

Finally had the guts to check our year to date returns ( Except for YE I only do this when I think it will make me smile:LOL:) Taxable 5.42%, Tax deferred 6.6%. But that's after a poor 2015. AA 55/35/10

Still in accumulation phase. Up in the 401k 9.38% YTD per Fidelity. Major holding in utilities which accounts for majority of the increase. Glad to see that international index finally climbed back into the black this year after an awful start.

Since interest rates are probably going to stay low for the forseable future, staying heavy in electric utility (which is the bond proxy in the stock market and has very good returns). Of course when rates rise, utilities will get slammed.

5.34% ytd. If we trend this way the next six months I wouldn't complain. Sure it's no 30% year like I had a cpl back, but it'll beat inflation. Onward and upwards :D

5.34% ytd. If we trend this way the next six months I wouldn't complain...
Who would? But I have "lost" 1.5% in just the last 2 trading days. That's my spending YTD.

Still up for the year, but how long before the market god takes it all back? Did someone say "Wh***" or something?

Who would? But I have "lost" 1.5% in just the last 2 trading days. That's my spending YTD.

Still up for the year, but how long before the market god takes it all back? Did someone say "Wh***" or something?

It was me. Sorry about that!

My withdrawal replenished celebration lasted a whole 3 days.

I now consider myself slapped down and thoroughly chastened! :hide:

Getting the month end numbers as I'll be travelling. Has been an exciting July.

401K is all RNWEX which I'd call a World/EM fund. Also has some US companies. It retreated to +3.39% return YTD in my account. Was +9.67% previous month.

70/30 brokerage (individual stocks, REITs, and muni funds, etc.) is sitting at 9.79% gain mid-day.

Are the rest of us in some sort of time warp?

But since you are there, what is the Dow at the end of July? :D

... yeah, that's what I want to know, too. I am guessing it will be 25075.73 :D.

I will post my numbers after the market closes today. But I already know it will be slightly less than the pre-Brexit announcement at around 4.6%.

4.49% YTD.... my calculation got a bit more complicated this month in that I did a big withdrawal in June for the condo we bought so I did a XIRR calculation.

However, the Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance is pretty similar at 4.43%

40% domestic stocks/20% international stocks/28% domestic bonds/7% international bonds/5% cash

Last edited:
About +5.5% YTD with a 50/40/10, 10 being RE.
Fidelity updates everyday on their mobile app the average investor return over the last year. As of this evening, it was -4.82%. Ouch.

4.6% so far. The biggest winner from my portfolio is FNMIX, an emerging market bond fund. The biggest loser is DODFX, an international stock fund. It took a big hit after Brexit result and didn't recover yet. Still doing well with my short term trades which is up about 7%. My total asset increased even with withdrawal. I couldn't have asked for more.

Hi. I am not sure and cant really know till year end. I am at 7-8% and I use Blue Chip Dividend Stocks and Covered Calls and my income is the Premiums and then Dividends.
I am Risk Adverse beyond the risk of BC Stock. My Strategy is 5 years old.

In the last 2 1/2 years, i have contributed 205k dollars to our various accounts. My total savings over those 2 1/2 years has risen by about 205k in that time. Uhg. I am going to say i'm flat for 2016, and 15, and 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

XIRR 5.63%

AA 40/50/10 (10% cash for planned high expenses this year and next)

I'd have to consult the magic spreadsheet to calculate how much we are up, but as of Friday we are back to where we were before the Brexit blowup. We are 50/50 AA and the nice thing is that the increase in the fixed income side that came as equities were getting clobbered hasn't decreased so that's a bonus.

Sent from my VS986 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

In the last 2 1/2 years, i have contributed 205k dollars to our various accounts. My total savings over those 2 1/2 years has risen by about 205k in that time. Uhg. I am going to say i'm flat for 2016, and 15, and 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

What are you invested in? Wellington (indicative of a 60/40 AA) has returned 8.39% a year over the last 3 years.

As of 6/30/16:

Im at +5.2% YTD with a 60/40 portfolio
SP500....+3.8%
Wellington...+5.1%

The last week from pre Brexit 6/23 to 6/30

Me: +0.4%
Sp500: -0.7%
Wellington: -0.2%

Short term of course, but I love it when I outperform when the market is up AND down

My Dividend Stock Portfolio is up 10.13% (using the calculator suggested by pb4uski).

Continuing slow, steady climb, 5.6% ytd. AA remains at 58/24/18. I probably should put some cash to work but it sure helped me sleep this last week. I can only hope these results continue for the rest of the year.

Back
Top Bottom