2017 YTD investment performance thread

8.95 (round up to 9%?); 60/25/15. International component is finally "working" after being a drag for several years. (I hope that afterthought doesn't jinx it.)

7.9 ytd. I had some coal stocks that went to 0 value, bankrupted and disappeared from portfolio(thanks Obama) I presume they are history?

401K is up 13.7% as of close Friday.....all just sitting in retire 2025 and retire 2030 funds. Tempted to put in something safe for the probable October adjustment.

401K is up 13.7% as of close Friday.....all just sitting in retire 2025 and retire 2030 funds. Tempted to put in something safe for the probable October adjustment.

If you have it in a timeline fund then it will automatically get moved around somewhat by the fund manager

I don't know. I did get a statement from the 401k, it's up 6.5. About 1/3 is in cash.

+11.5% aint gots to lie to kick it. If it's over 7% I am happy

Mid-2017 Investments Summary
  • 9.34% new contributions + performance
  • 5.61% YTD Weighted Performance overall

14.47% new 401k still setting the pace.
  • American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund: 4.06%
  • American Funds New World R6 Fund: 16.43%

Also rebalanced at the beginning of June, and reduced equity target:
  • 53 Equity / 42 Fixed / 5 Cash
YTD July 2017 Investments Summary (53 Equity / 42 Fixed / 5 Cash)
  • 7.51% YTD Weighted Performance overall

18.13% new 401k still setting the pace. This is XIRR calc from provider.
  • American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund: 7.03%
  • American Funds New World R6 Fund: 20.61%

8.95 (round up to 9%?); 60/25/15. International component is finally "working" after being a drag for several years. (I hope that afterthought doesn't jinx it.)
Yeah, I have a nice chunk in International too. When we researched AA it seemed like a good choice. In my case for almost 10 years they were a drag. I know If i get out of them, they will rocket, so I'll hold them and "stay the course"

Looks like that 13.7% includes contribution, as I would be very surprised that any retirement fund, due to their portfolio, could beat the S&P which returns 11.6% as of 7/28/2017.

As for me, it's 11.3%, which is quite allright considering that my AA is 70% stock, 5% bonds, 25% cash.

Yes, internationals have been doing well this year. It's about time, and 25% of my stocks are international.

Ended the 1st half of the year with 6.96% increase YTD. My winners are the international & chemical funds. On average, they are up in high teen area. Even the bond funds are doing ok at 2 - 4% increase. My short term trades returned about 7%, performing below the S&P 500.

Up another 1+% to 8.2% since a month ago. This month's story line is just about the same as above.

I wish this bull run keeps up but that'd be like asking for the moon. If I end the year in anything north of 6%, that'd be ideal. Yes, I expect a bit of market correction before the year's end.

Non-real estate up 14% ytd... but I'm getting anxious about what lies ahead...

Last edited:
As of the market close of 7/31, I'm up 10.3% YTD, spend-adjusted, all-in.

As with others, I attribute a good bit of the growth to international, which had tracked over the top of it's corridor, so I rebalanced it back to center.

Looks like that 13.7% includes contribution, as I would be very surprised that any retirement fund, due to their portfolio, could beat the S&P which returns 11.6% as of 7/28/2017.

As for me, it's 11.3%, which is quite allright considering that my AA is 70% stock, 5% bonds, 25% cash.

Vanguard Lifestyle Growth Fund (VASGX) @ 11.52%. This fund is 80/20.

Not quite up to Vanguard's S&P Fund @ 11.64%, but pretty close.

For a target fund that beats the S&P, Vanguard's 2060 Fund @ 12.74% beats with a 90/10 composition. Their 80/20 fund (target 2035) is at 11.5%. Pretty close to the lifestyle fund and S&P.

Surprised?

Not really. International has done well this year (finally).

Editing to add all of these %s are as of 7/28/2017.

YTD 7.06%. Canadian stocks are dragging the whole thing down.

Last edited:
Vanguard Lifestyle Growth Fund (VASGX) @ 11.52%. This fund is 80/20.

Not quite up to Vanguard's S&P Fund @ 11.64%, but pretty close.

For a target fund that beats the S&P, Vanguard's 2060 Fund @ 12.74% beats with a 90/10 composition. Their 80/20 fund (target 2035) is at 11.5%. Pretty close to the lifestyle fund and S&P.

Surprised?

Not really. International has done well this year (finally).

Editing to add all of these %s are as of 7/28/2017.

OK. I have never looked at these Lifestyle funds, so did not know they have internationals in their portfolio.

Yes, of course international MFs do well this year. I have a bit in VWIGX (Vanguard Int. Growth), and it pops 30% YTD. The previous 2 years it was threading water and getting nowhere.

Seems like about 9% YTD. Cash is kind of dragging down the SPY funds plus had some money in a Vanguard large cap index which didn't perform so well YTD (it is only up like 7%).

Just goes to show you Vanguard isn't the only way to go. Investing in SPY with its 0.09% expense ratio would get you a 12% return. One fund portfolio.

Or Schwab's SCHB (US Broad Market) at 10.13% YTD and 0.03% ER, or SCHG (Large cap growth) at 16.27% YTD and 0.04% ER, or SCHF (International) at 17.26% and 0.06% ER.

All kinds of way to make money, until the market crashes then everybody loses. :)

Back
Top Bottom