2018 - Raises, get your raises!

Are we talking about SS 2019?
Personally, I'm waiting for year end distributions to be announced.

My union contract will give me a whopping 2% raise on December 1st. If the OP was talking SS, i'm sure they will get closer to 3%.

I was going to start this to compare raises. COLA'd pensions, increased SS payouts, regular j*b income.

Then I decided maybe not the most humbling experience. But what the heck... looks like we are on pace for 3.25% over 2017. I understand that should beat my personal inflation rate. Won't know until end of year.

Figured it would give the forum an idea of where wages are headed.

Our maximum raises (barring promotion or truly heroic circumstances) are 2.5-3%, which is fine in this economic climate. I also got a quite heroic adjustment 2 years ago, so 2.5% is significantly more now than it used to be! I'll report back when I get my number tomorrow, but I'm hoping for the high end, as my boss used words on my review like "complete understanding", "ownership", "go-to", and "invaluable". But I feel like I'm actually close to fair market value, so I'm OK with anything over COL at this point.

Pension is in line for whatever SS recipients get.

Part-time salary is in line for zip, assuming the president has his way and Congress agrees.

Year-end distros...well, we'd all like to know, wouldn't we?

Pension is in line for whatever SS recipients get.

Probably the same here, although the pension might be a fraction higher because it's based on a more local area surrounding D.C. rather than nationally.

Yesterday when I saw this thread I checked online, and the CPI isn't final quite yet. We'll need to wait a few more weeks.

My SS cost of living adjustment would be the same as the CPI. :dance:

Since my mini-pension is FERS, my cost of living adjustment (="Diet-COLA") on that pension goes like this:

If CPI < 2%, same as the CPI.
If 2%<CPI<3%, then I get an increase of 2%
If CPI > 3%, then I get an increase of 1% less than the CPI percentage.

I heard another rumor that FERS cost of living adjustments are on the chopping block, but apparently that's not a done deal at all.

Yesterday when I saw this thread I checked online, and the CPI isn't final quite yet. We'll need to wait a few more weeks.

My SS cost of living adjustment would be the same as the CPI. :dance:

Since my mini-pension is FERS, my cost of living adjustment (="Diet-COLA") on that pension goes like this:

If CPI < 2%, same as the CPI.
If 2%<CPI<3%, then I get an increase of 2%
If CPI > 3%, then I get an increase of 1% less than the CPI percentage.

I heard another rumor that FERS cost of living adjustments are on the chopping block, but apparently that's not a done deal at all.

I'd be happy with even a diet COLA. Our COLAs got axed about a year after I retired :mad:

I'd be happy with even a diet COLA. Our COLAs got axed about a year after I retired :mad:

Sorry to read that! CSRS gets the full CPI amount, like Amethyst and Walt. For CSRS I imagine this is because they don't get SS at all. We get SS but a lesser pension.

My mini-pension is not huge so we are just talking just a few bucks anyway, if that makes you feel better? :) I did take the cost of living increases into account before deciding to take the job I had, since it was part of the compensation package offered to me by the USA. Salaries were abysmally low compared with non-government jobs for scientists and engineers such as several that I was offered but turned down. The main reasons I took the job was the pension, retiree health care benefits, and job security when growing older.

Military pension was 2%. Work was 2% merit, but I had just gotten a 7.4% bump late 2017 (promotion). 2019 will be nice because we are moving to TX, so no more state or local income tax. That's a 6% raise in take home pay (and RE taxes are the same as OH = high, so no ding there). Likely get 3% merit on the top end as well.

Merit increase coming in October, based on annual review scores: top 20% in each division receive 5.25%, everyone else 3%. Actually, no increase if your overall score is less than 2.0 "meets expectations."

I don't ever expect to get an increase in my mega-corp retirement (non-cola'd) check. I did get a 2% bump on my teaching gig (as per our Faculty agreement) starting in Sept 2018. In the overall scheme of things that is pretty meaningless, but still I will take it. :)

Because of another thread, I just did some quick post election calculations. On individual securities (non cash, non passive index fund investments) I am up about 39% on my individual equity holdings since 11/8/2016 (SPY is up 34.6% in the same time frame). Even though I had a large cash position and a significant portion in index funds which mitigates that somewhat in terms of my overall net worth % gain, that is a LOT more important than the 2% raise, and even more than my entire teaching salary (for the entire time I've been teaching post mega-corp retirement).

I don't qualify for the COLA boost on my pension until I'm 62. 4 more years to go. Then it's only 50% of the CPI.

Still working. This years raise was 3.5%, starting last March. Next March's raise - whatever it may be - will be the last that matters to me. :dance:

No raise on my fixed pension. I'm hoping inflation stays very low.

DHs state pension gets a 3% COLA. It's fixed, based on his original pension amount from when he retired in 2010. So his fixed COLA ends up being a smaller percentage each year.

Now, eight years out, it ends up being a 2.38% increase. To us it's a wonderful raise and we very much appreciate it every year.

His pension system submitted a proposed change to this earlier in the year. They wanted to make it variable, based on a CPI. There was so much opposition to this that it never made it passed the required committee that looked at it. Some retirees who retired after him are already on the variable COLA based on CPI. They are getting the full 3% this year which is the maximum they can get.

Pension--variable COLA up to 2% July every year, at this time.
On call work--0% for now as the contract is still being negotiated.

Back
Top Bottom