2018 YTD investment performance thread

Some interesting stuff and you guys are way above my head. LOL Thanks

That was quick NYEXPAT.
For the folks who have CD's - do you factor in the interest on an accrual basis or a cash basis for investment performance?

1.05% YTD vs 7.47% for the first half 2017 :(

But... the silver lining is that I beat my benchmark.... Vanguard Life Strategy Moderate Growth Fund which was only 0.07%. :dance:

That was quick NYEXPAT.
For the folks who have CD's - do you factor in the interest on an accrual basis or a cash basis for investment performance?

+4.47 YTD

Regular bond interest is on an accrual basis. Baby bond and notes that pay monthly and quarterly are on a cash basis.

1.1% YTD, all-in, spend adjusted, like usual.

What was a-maaazing is that my asset allocation scraper ran start to finish without halting. It goes to seven sites, and typically at least one site has found the need, in the last month, to change a little something....enough to throw off the program. By the way, I first manually log in to LastPass, so the passwords are not in the code (in case you were worried for my security).

I just add up the numbers on the paper. No passwords needed.

+4.47 YTD

Regular bond interest is on an accrual basis. Baby bond and notes that pay monthly and quarterly are on a cash basis.
Thanks. Only up +0.50% YTD. Bond funds and Int'l equities dragging me down.

FIDO – 4.33% YTD not including contributions. Balance has passed the January high.

Cash Balance Pension – 2% not including contributions.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum this quarter; I discovered my true tolerance to risk.

After last year’s 24.5% run up in the 401k, realized that I could retire in two years at 59 instead of waiting until 60 – which is certainly not RE by many on this forum. (We are FI now but wanting to feather the nest a bit.) Original plan was to stay 100% invested until 2019, and then crawl into the bond tent to minimize SORR.

However, a corresponding 24.5% drop in my all equities FIDO account this year would be a real setback on the eve of FIRE causing me to work past 60. DW said do what makes you comfortable. So, in early April I pulled all of the EuroPac and ExUSA funds out and parked them in a MM account. This amount equaled projected SS gap income until FRA. As soon as I hit the ‘confirm’ for this transaction an unexpected wave of relief washed over me. Selected EuroPac and ExUSA because the dollar was gaining momentum (Lucky DMT that I am). Selected a MM account because the bond funds offered by my 401k are all in decline while the Fed normalizes rates. Went from looking at Fidelity once a day to once a week. Thought it was fun to watch the account grow – but apparently there was also a bit of unrecognized stress from risk taking.

First week of June decided to fully implement preFIRE portfolio and go to a 60/0/40 mix after subtracting the SS gap fund. Because of all the trade talk, kept the home boys fund of Russell2000. Sold all of the S&P500 and Russell3000 and stuffed that into the mattress. Immediately both of those indices went up 2%, so that move did not feel as smart in the following days – although the market has since taken back those gains.

My approach to retirement has been unorthodox with the experts claiming to start a bond glide path much earlier than this, instead of less than 2 years before retirement. (BTW – they are right and I am a lucky duck). I’m still doing a lot ‘wrong’ by keeping my NextEra utility stock for capital gains NUA and a whole bunch stuffed into the MM mattress. Both of these carry their own risk, but I am more comfortable with the present portfolio than the one in March. Very unnatural for me to have anything outside of equities after being all in for 32 years investing. Still, my risk tolerance has diminished as freedom approaches and have come to the realization that I don’t want the stomach churn of another tech bubble or financial crisis while going from accumulation to drawdown. Planning on getting a checkup from Fidelity FA soon – maybe he’ll help at this critical juncture.

Atom

Last edited:
2.31% YTD

Cash 1.41%
Intl Bonds 1.45%
U.S. Bonds 7.22%
Intl Stocks 7.63%
U.S. Stocks 63.38%
REITs 18.91%

halftime 2018 report

Based on time weighted return inclusive of dividends, fees and margin interest and exclusive of any principal additions or withdrawals

Brokerage account +13.8%
S&P 500 Benchmark +2.7%

Thus far, I am easily 'beating the market' so pleased with the results.

Big winners for the half were AAPL, AMZN and APC.

2018 first hlf.jpg

YTD (June 30, 2018) returns for a collection of 'close-to' 60/40 funds (from Morningstar.com):

0.07% VSMGX Vg LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (60/40)
0.06% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020 (54/46)*
1.38% VBIAX Vg Balanced Index (60/40), no foreign
0.09% DGSIX DFA Global 60/40 I, small-cap & value tilted
-1.1% VWENX Vg Wellington (65/35)
0.05% VTTVX Vg Target Retirement 2025 (63/37)
0.87% VGSTX Vg STAR (63/37)

Some others
-1.64% VBTLX Vg Total US Bond Index
3.28% VTSAX Vg Total US Stock Market
-3.62% VTIAX Vg Total Int'l Stock Market
0.00% VGSLX Vg REIT Index

*Looks like this one is now too far from 60/40 so should be dropped from this comparison.

I'm at 1.33%, 65% stocks, 20% fixed income, 15% cash in MM.

3 buildings, 7 doors; 42 months of rent paid in full. $10,170 more than expenses, so far.

That was quick NYEXPAT.

I guess I don’t bother as I only enter interest in Quicken when it is actually paid.

YTD (June 30, 2018)
0.06% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020 (54/46)*

*Looks like this one is now too far from 60/40 so should be dropped from this comparison.

This benchmark is pretty useful for me and for those with AA closer to 50% equities.

Looks like up about 3%, but it sure doesn't feel like it. That would be because I was up somewhere around 6% at the end of January.

Down 0.3% for the first half (60/40). A little frustrating but OK after a good 2017.

Last edited:
FIDO – 4.33% YTD not including contributions. Balance has passed the January high.

Cash Balance Pension – 2% not including contributions.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum this quarter; I discovered my true tolerance to risk.

After last year’s 24.5% run up in the 401k, realized that I could retire in two years at 59 instead of waiting until 60 – which is certainly not RE by many on this forum. (We are FI now but wanting to feather the nest a bit.) Original plan was to stay 100% invested until 2019, and then crawl into the bond tent to minimize SORR.

However, a corresponding 24.5% drop in my all equities FIDO account this year would be a real setback on the eve of FIRE causing me to work past 60. DW said do what makes you comfortable. So, in early April I pulled all of the EuroPac and ExUSA funds out and parked them in a MM account. This amount equaled projected SS gap income until FRA. As soon as I hit the ‘confirm’ for this transaction an unexpected wave of relief washed over me. Selected EuroPac and ExUSA because the dollar was gaining momentum (Lucky DMT that I am). Selected a MM account because the bond funds offered by my 401k are all in decline while the Fed normalizes rates. Went from looking at Fidelity once a day to once a week. Thought it was fun to watch the account grow – but apparently there was also a bit of unrecognized stress from risk taking.

First week of June decided to fully implement preFIRE portfolio and go to a 60/0/40 mix after subtracting the SS gap fund. Because of all the trade talk, kept the home boys fund of Russell2000. Sold all of the S&P500 and Russell3000 and stuffed that into the mattress. Immediately both of those indices went up 2%, so that move did not feel as smart in the following days – although the market has since taken back those gains.

My approach to retirement has been unorthodox with the experts claiming to start a bond glide path much earlier than this, instead of less than 2 years before retirement. (BTW – they are right and I am a lucky duck). I’m still doing a lot ‘wrong’ by keeping my NextEra utility stock for capital gains NUA and a whole bunch stuffed into the MM mattress. Both of these carry their own risk, but I am more comfortable with the present portfolio than the one in March. Very unnatural for me to have anything outside of equities after being all in for 32 years investing. Still, my risk tolerance has diminished as freedom approaches and have come to the realization that I don’t want the stomach churn of another tech bubble or financial crisis while going from accumulation to drawdown. Planning on getting a checkup from Fidelity FA soon – maybe he’ll help at this critical juncture.

Atom
Your plan is interesting to me. I wonder if it would make for a good discussion in a separate thread? I have a similar thought process for bridging to the start of SoSec but I don't want to hijack this thread more than I just did. Thanks for sharing.

atmsmshr,

pension age in Australia

If your birthdate is you’ll be old enough at
1 July 1952 to 31 December 1953 65 years and 6 months
1 January 1954 to 30 June 1955 66 years
1 July 1955 to 31 December 1956 66 years and 6 months
From 1 January 1957 67 years

( i believe females must wait longer but check to be sure )

already shifted recently and just as likely to be 70 by the time i get to 66

so i have definitely been retired early , but am i financially independent ( probably not while i am facing more medical costs , but i would like to be )

so if you are FI that might be close enough here

but wouldn't a conservative estimate of future income be more important to your calculations .
eroding your nest egg in troubled times might lead to a dangerous spiral normally one can only reduce spending ( and costs ) so much .

Think I missed a month -
Gonna focus just on a single 401(k) for now. Google Finance is letting me down...

Below is performance on what was once very EM focused. At the beginning of 2017 I began exclusively contributing to a balanced 50/50 fund. I'll continue with this strategy. The 401(k) is about 6% of investments.

Overall allocation (52-45-03 ST-BD-CS) is not that much out of balance.

Total of all investments hit an all-time high, exceeding the previous high in Jan 2018. That includes new money, though. Performance YTD is probably slightly negative or slightly positive. How's that for a solid number?
:dance:

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom