2018 YTD investment performance thread

The data show:

Year To Date (YTD)

ROI is 5.52%. Overall savings asset allocation is 53/33/14 (stocks/bonds/cash equivalent). The cash is EF, college and car funds. The cash is in a MM fund making 1.86% so that helps.

On average, I made $5,346 / month (paper money). Best month was May @ $17,548. Worst month was Mar @ -$8,742.

Total, I have made $39,813 (again, paper money)

Looks like we will end the year saving $290,957 (this includes 401k match, does not include returns)

Overall, a great year so far.

Next year is shaping up to be epic for savings if we don't go crazy on a house (rent/buy) in Dallas where we are moving. The data show we could save $500k.

01/03/18 to 08/31/18 up 8.10% after living expenses for those 8 months. I am very pleased and grateful for those gains.

+16.08 ytd. Incredible month of gains +5.75% just in August. That's 1/3 of the gains in 1/12 the time. :D

Let's hope [-]people [/-] investors don't get "spooked" during the Halloween season!:cool:

Last edited:
9.47% according to Quicken. I’m easy to please...anything over 0% and I’m content.

If you simply broke even, you actually lost to inflation, which runs close to 3% now.

In theory, but inflation can be very personal depending on where you live and other factors.

Meaning it can be a lot higher than 3% when healthcare cost enters the picture? :cool:

Found an error. :facepalm: Aug YTD should be 4.00%. :dance:

Aug 3.79%
Jul 3.04%
Jun 1.06%
May 1.24%
Apr 0.37%
Mar 0.12%
Feb 0.88%
Jan 3.53%

Even if values stay level for the rest of the year after remaining withdrawals I'll be on the plus side compared to the beginning of the year so no tears here. Still whooping my benchmark VSMGX which was 2.75% YTD.

Dumped 1/2 my international .... haircut across the board and accounts

Need to work on mantra : will no longer be a trader

Being patient with my International portion (index not individual) still........

+8.09% YTD overall - 100% laddered bond portfolio. Centurylink/Qwest/U S West bonds continue to outperform.

Wifes's IRA : +16.8% - 100% Centurylink 2024 notes and Qwest 2031 Bonds. The switch from JP Morgan, Wells Fargo, and Citigroup preferred stock to Centurylink last December paid off big time.

Through 8/31, 4% for my husband’s account and 5% for my account. I’ve been consistently low on stocks. Perhaps around 25-30% equity. It would have been higher if I didn’t read a Boggle head on bonds, but I did get out of EEM early in the year.

The data show:

Year To Date (YTD)

ROI is 5.52%. Overall savings asset allocation is 53/33/14 (stocks/bonds/cash equivalent). The cash is EF, college and car funds. The cash is in a MM fund making 1.86% so that helps.

On average, I made $5,346 / month (paper money). Best month was May @ $17,548. Worst month was Mar @ -$8,742.

Total, I have made $39,813 (again, paper money)

Looks like we will end the year saving $290,957 (this includes 401k match, does not include returns)

Overall, a great year so far.

Next year is shaping up to be epic for savings if we don't go crazy on a house (rent/buy) in Dallas where we are moving. The data show we could save $500k.

I like your break down and never really thought about what my gains (paper money) was per month like you have shown.

Mine per month (8 months) from January till Sept. 1st was $25,496 per month average.

I like your break down and never really thought about what my gains (paper money) was per month like you have shown.

Mine per month (8 months) from January till Sept. 1st was $25,496 per month average.

I have started to shift from total portfolio value as my metric to total income. Not that I am a yield chaser, but in reality, income is what I will live on in retirement.

Income:

$45k - COLA military pension (receiving this now)
$40k - $1M portfolio @ 4% withdrawal rate
$54k - SS @ 70

So, between 55 (target retirement date) and 70 my income should be $85k. Between 70 and my death, it should be $139k. My target is $150k, so I need to save more.

^ Interesting & thanks.

I take a look at my numbers the start of each month to see where I'm at. My numbers are after expenses so I don't crunch numbers very often just making sure I'm not going backwards. LOL

Finally got around to updating my spreadsheet. 3.9% ytd including withdrawals. That’s on 60/33/7 aa. I can live with that.

I cannot look at my return per month, because it's not really meaningful. I have gained (and lost) a lot more than $25K in a day, which I got used to long ago. Month-to-month, it is more than $100K easily. Have not lost $100K in a day yet, but came close in the past (80K).

What hurts is when I have a string of several bad days. They quickly add up. It hurts like crazy.

PS. The market daily drop is always higher than the daily rise. As said above, my highest daily loss was around $80K back during the terrible Great Recession days. But my highest daily gain ever was 1/2 that, if even that much. Market scare is always greater than market exuberance.

Last edited:
YTD as of 8-31, up 9.5%

I cannot look at my return per month, because it's not really meaningful. I have gained (and lost) a lot more than $25K in a day, which I got used to long ago. Month-to-month, it is more than $100K easily. Have not lost $100K in a day yet, but came close in the past (80K).

What hurts is when I have a string of several bad days. They quickly add up. It hurts like crazy.

PS. The market daily drop is always higher than the daily rise. As said above, my highest daily loss was around $80K back during the terrible Great Recession days. But my highest daily gain ever was 1/2 that, if even that much. Market scare is always greater than market exuberance.

WOW!

It might not be useful but it was interesting to see what I averaged per month. I look at mine once a month and what I look at is where I am at now verses the day I retired.. I like to look at that number not sure it is useful either but that is my measurement I take.

I think a lot of people here have these high daily fluctuations, as their portfolios are larger than mine. They may not care to look everyday, but I do. And I am used to seeing money comes and goes. It's interesting. :)

Being an active investor, not an indexer, I need to know what is going on, and how my stocks do relative to the market.

^ true on both statements.

Back
Top Bottom