2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

I just did the calculations and our portfolio is higher than when we retired 4 years ago too.

And this is after buying a 34 foot sailboat, a new Kubota excavator, 30 acres of mountain land, a new truck, new van, and two new snowmobiles.

I mean if this is how early retirement works I should have done it years ago!

+1 Higher than 4 years ago after withdrawals for spending and big withdrawals to buy a new truck a winter condo for cash! :dance:

SORR is bunk! :D

No, I have not exceeded my personal high water mark in Jan 2018, unless I added back in the 6-figure expenses I incurred since that point in time.

SORR is bunk! :D

Look, everybody!

This could be the new "Wh***".

Last edited:
As of 10/31 retirement assets up YTD 17.5%

On 11/1 another boost, up YTD 18.4%!

A bit over 60% equities now.

Everything hit all-time highs last month: retirement assets, net worth. That’s even with expenses/outflows from the past two years which is the last time we hit an all-time high.

Last edited:
Quicken report - Investment Performance - Year to Date = 17.8%
I was mostly 60/40 for year, just recently changed 50/50.

As of 10-31-19 - Up 23.6%

^ WOW! That is great returns I can see why you "Blow That Dough".

My YTD is 16.6% as of November 8. My AA is 65/35 in 3 Vanguard mutual funds (where quarterly dividends from my taxable portion are deposited into checking).

I retired 1/1/2015, and made a spreadsheet at the time estimating what my portfolio would be each year, based on 7% growth and a 35K withdrawal. I know I'm small-fry compared to many of the members here, but my current portfolio is nearly 180K higher now than what that 2015 spreadsheet calc'd for 2019.

For someone like me who doesn't know what he's doing... it boggles my brain :)

Is it even remotely possible to have another year like this one, back to back?

Several companies have breached the trillion dollar market cap.

Part of me wants to go more cash but part of me looks at the S&P nearing a 25% return this year and wonders.

With the returns this year alone, the S&P500 has now outperformed seven years of 3% returns on bonds, compounded.

No wonder everyone is like, wheee!

Knock on wood, zip the lips. Keep the good ju-ju. I look at the numbers and smile to myself. Happy to be here in this moment.

I just did a pretty exhaustive calculation of the returns across all of our accounts, taxable, 401k, IRA and Roths, including cash and things like I-bonds.

The YTD return for everything is 22.7%

Heavy lifter was 401K, which is 55% in VANG RUS 1000 (22.26% return) and 45% in VAN IS S&P500 IDX (25.53% return). This one account is 57% of our net invested assets.

Amazingly poor performers (relatively) for being indexes were a Roth with Vanguard VSIAX (16.5% return) and VTIAX (15.28%)

Best performer was not my Robinhood trading account (112% return) but actually one of my Roth accounts with an impressive 119% return. Go figure.

But I am not going to complain at a overall 22.7% return YTD!

15% YTD.... AA has migrated from 60/35/5 at beginning of year to 53/42/5 today as a result of redeeming equities to buy credit union CD specials averaging 3.33% in the second and third quarters... very happy with 15%.

Last edited:
Oh, I am currently 73% stocks, 26% cash, 1% i-bonds

No CDs or any other type of bond.

This is really aggressive for being retired, but we are only 49 and 50.

If I sold all of our other assets (land, cars, etc.), we would be something more like 60% to 65% stocks and 35% to 40% cash.

I usually avoid posts to this thread other than end of month, but when I updated Quicken I noticed that I had crossed another six-figure hurdle. :dance:

YTD is 16%! Wow, what a year!

And note that Wow is a W-word but not the dreaded 4-letter W-word with an exclamation point.

15% YTD.... AA has migrated from 60/35/5 at beginning of year to 53/42/5 today as a result of redeeming equities to buy credit union CD specials averaging 3.33% in the second and third quarters... very happy with 15%.

Last edited:
I usually avoid posts to this thread other than end of month, but when I updated Quicken I noticed that I had crossed another six-figure hurdle. :dance:

YTD is 16%! Wow, what a year!

And note that Wow is a W-word but not the dreaded 4-letter W-word.

Congratulations!! I forget what day it actually happened, but I recently broke another six-figure hurdle as well. I'm hoping we can stay above that level today and Friday, so I can record it for posterity, as the final entry for this month in my spreadsheet.

17.69 per MoneyChimp with a 50/50 AA The bond funds have helped carry the load this year. 2 intermediates vbtlx and vbilx along with vscsx as short term.

Even my 40/60 401K is up 15.5% Wow... Overall, it's probably around 18% (Roughly 50/50). I only have 10% in international as for the equity, and more concentrated on domestic, and that might have worked in my favour this time around...

There were a few months a while back I didn't even want to check and I didn't, but I was looking forward to checking it tonight.

Last edited:
Oh, I am currently 73% stocks, 26% cash, 1% i-bonds

No CDs or any other type of bond.

This is really aggressive for being retired, but we are only 49 and 50.

If I sold all of our other assets (land, cars, etc.), we would be something more like 60% to 65% stocks and 35% to 40% cash.

I am 70/28/2 also early 50's. Torn on changing allocation, but will consider it next year. I have FA friends who are split 100% stocks (because bonds approaching more negative risks when interests come back up) to 50% stocks for us.

Back
Top Bottom