2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

Up 8.87% after two innings.

As of 2/28/19, I'm up around 11.4% for the year. Just another ~3.6% to put me back to my all-time high set in September 2018.

And, in a raw dollar basis, rather than percentage, 2019 is now my second best year, ever, knocking 2013 down to #3. My best year ever, dollar-gain-wise, is 2017. Interestingly, if I can get that 3.6% gain, that will make 2019 my best year.

Of course, this particular metric isn't particularly meaningful, as I'm older now, have more saved up, and therefore it doesn't take as big of a percentage gain to make a big dollar gain. Still, it's a good time waster, I guess.

+7.8% YTD as of 2/28
70/30
The stock allocation is 70% US - 30% international with tilts to EM, US small cap and US value.

The bond allocation is 70% VBIRX and 30% from a real estate note.

Last edited:
+5.08% YTD Jan 31, 2019

vs +3.53% YTD Jan 31, 2018
vs 5.28% for my benchmark VSMGX

+7.02% YTD Feb 28, 2019

vs +0.88% YTD Feb 28, 2018
vs +7.06% for my benchmark VSMGX

did a minor rebalance on Feb 19 to sell some domestic and international equities... 2.5% and 0.3% of total portfolio, respectively.

4.57% below all-time high.

Last edited:
As of 2/28, 10.17%. Benchmark Vanguard 2030 VTHRX 8.01%.

Stock/bond allocation follows VTHRX's 70/30.

Ha! Made me look. 6.3% 50/40/10

And, I picked up this nugget while on the VG site: "Vanguard's oldest fund, Wellington Fund, opened for business July 1, 1929."

Up 8.1% YTD. All-in with spend adjustment moneychimp style, as usual. I usually don't mention my AA here because I don't look at it in 2 (or 3 with "cash") buckets. I'm allocating across 9 buckets. But if you throw all domestic and foreign equity and hard assets together, I'm at 67% with those. The rest is cash, US bonds, international bonds, and guaranteed income.

Can't play well. All I can do is report our net worth is up 2.5% between 12-31 and 2-28. Kinda bogus, as we pay all quarterlies and rental expenses possible before year end, so early in the year looks more profitable.

Up 8.1% YTD. All-in with spend adjustment moneychimp style, as usual. I usually don't mention my AA here because I don't look at it in 2 (or 3 with "cash") buckets. I'm allocating across 9 buckets. But if you throw all domestic and foreign equity and hard assets together, I'm at 67% with those. The rest is cash, US bonds, international bonds, and guaranteed income.

I always look at AA across all liquid accounts. There's no need to fool myself that a certain trading account is up big or I have a certain stock position that doubles, when the rest of the assets stagnate.

The only thing I do not count is home value.

Jan 31 +3.58

Ooops.

1/31 +10% YTD Over half recovered from my terrible Nov/Dec '18
2/28 +14.57 and almost back to my 52 week high.just another ~4.5% to break the 52 week high

Looks like I slowed down a bit. Guess you can't expect 10% months every month of the year.

There are a lot of good numbers so far. Congrats to all and hope 2019 will end up being a decent year.

^ there sure is, I hope it all holds together this year.

As of 2/28/19, I'm up around 11.4% for the year. Just another ~3.6% to put me back to my all-time high set in September 2018...

4.57% below all-time high.

~4.5% to break the 52 week high...

Unfortunately for me, I need more than the above gains to get back to my high-water mark, which was reached back in Jan 2018, and not in Sep 2018 as most people. That's because my portfolio does not track the S&P that close.

Additionally, I have spent 3% since then, and that makes it harder to gain ground.

And speaking of that, I recently mentioned to my wife that we have been so spoiled with this bull market. Is it our birthright to be able to live comfortably on our stash, and still see it grow with time?

Unfortunately for me, I need more than the above gains to get back to my high-water mark, which was reached back in Jan 2018, and not in Sep 2018 as most people. That's because my portfolio does not track the S&P that close.

Additionally, I have spent 3% since then, and that makes it harder to gain ground.

And speaking of that, I recently mentioned to my wife that we have been so spoiled with this bull market. Is it our birthright to be able to live comfortably on our stash, and still see it grow with time?

My high was Jan 2018 too.... Sept 2018 was 1.58% below Jan 2018. FWIW, my withdrawals are pretty constant throughout the year.

I always look at AA across all liquid accounts. There's no need to fool myself that a certain trading account is up big or I have a certain stock position that doubles, when the rest of the assets stagnate.

The only thing I do not count is home value.

+1

One should not count the asset value change of a home for this thread. Of course, if you have homes for investment purpose (rentals, speculating), you can count the change in asset value for this thread. I guess one can go by the value listed in zillow?

My investment calculation is limited to liquid accounts, including cash under my mattress. The cash portion of my portfolio beat the market in 2018. ;)

Up 9.6%
60/40 heavily weighted towards SCV/MCV with some EM and Int'l small

I just checked I'm -2.87 from 09/2018 high mark. I also don't use home or land values in my numbers, just all invested money. I'm also very, very close to another milestone and it would take a gain of 1% in market gain to hit that mark.

My high was Jan 2018 too.... Sept 2018 was 1.58% below Jan 2018. FWIW, my withdrawals are pretty constant throughout the year.

January 2018 was a really good month for me, as well. At one point, I think I was up close to 6%, just in gains (not counting additional investments), although the only data point I saved was the last day of the month, where I was still up close to 4%.

February and March knocked most of that out for me, though. By the time September closed, my return for the year was up around 6.75%.

Now technically, my investible assets actually peaked in August. In September, I wrote a huge check for a down payment on my new house, which knocked that number down. But, the amount that was left still made money, I still look at September as an up month, even though my total went down.

So, for me to consider my recovery complete, I'm just worried about getting back to that September total. As of Friday's close, I only need to see about 3.1% to do that. Now, to get back to the August total, which would include the down payment on my house, I'd need to see about a 13% jump. Which, would be nice...but I have a feeling that one's going to take awhile.

^ that is a nice percentage. Some of you have done well through February. March isn't looking as good so far.

Back
Top Bottom