2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

Here's my results, so far...
1/31/19: +7.94%
2/28/19: +11.4%
3/31/19: +12.8%

That's rate of return, rather than just how much my net worth has accumulated, as I'm putting in additional investments.

So, it looks like March has cooled off a bit, compared to February and especially January. But, I'm not complaining! :)

I know this is "year to date", but what about the interest that's not posted until tomorrow night? :)

Is it going to change the decimal point?

We also ignore accrued interest on bonds (which is priced separately when you buy or sell a bond) or interest from the last crediting date on CDs.

Would be interesting to see some results from folks with ~30% or less equity allocations including no equity allocations.
Don't read too much into it, as it would also be interesting to see those numbers in a down market too.

Would be interesting to see some results from folks with ~30% or less equity allocations including no equity allocations.
Don't read too much into it, as it would also be interesting to see those numbers in a down market too.
Maybe one way to see benchmark results would be Wellesley.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VWIAX/performance?p=VWIAX

YTD for VWIAX is 5.80%. AA is 35-40% fixed.

Or take a look at VASIX (AA is 20% fixed). YTD is 2.96%.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VASIX/performance?p=VASIX

We are up 3.3% in net worth from 12-31 to 4-1 with about 17.25% of our net worth in stocks, bonds, and a little gold.

I am lagging most of you a bit this year, up 9%. This is mostly because I am in half cash waiting on the market drop that doesn't seem to want to happen. Even 9% is amazing though...its like the market keeps on giving year after year.

Even 9% is amazing though...its like the market keeps on giving year after year.

Shhhhh................ Maybe 'they' haven't noticed yet...

Here's mine:
8.89%
50/40/10

Last edited:
I know this is "year to date", but what about the interest that's not posted until tomorrow night? :)

Is it going to change the decimal point?

We also ignore accrued interest on bonds (which is priced separately when you buy or sell a bond) or interest from the last crediting date on CDs.

When one computes the return to 2 digits after the decimal point, the monthly interest will change at least the last digit. For every $1M, 0.01% is $100, and people usually get more than that each month.

It is more interesting to see if anyone can maintain 70% or higher stock AA in a downturn like 2008-2009. :)

If you have 70% stock AA before the crash, when the S&P is down to 1/2 and assuming your bond values do not change, you are down to 54% stock AA.

That did not seem right, but I checked my calculation.

Here's another example. If your normal stock AA is 60%, and you wait till it drops to 50% to rebalance, assuming your bonds stay more or less constant, the market has to lose 1/3 of its value. That would be way more than a garden variety correction.

+17.48% for Q1 2019 for retirement accts only, 100/0/0. I have some MM and cash also that I didn't include in these calculations but they aren't part of the retirement portfolio. Sweet start to the year, but Q4 2018 was -14.08%, so less amazing in that context, though of course I'm happy to have clawed back plus some. Part of me was getting nervous at the end of 2018, I almost moved to a more conservative allocation then, so glad I stayed the course.

When one computes the return to 2 digits after the decimal point, the monthly interest will change at least the last digit. For every $1M, 0.01% is $100, and people usually get more than that each month.....

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a chalk, cut it with an axe.

While many of us post to two decimal places.... one would probably be informative enough. I suspect that disparities in sources and methods of calculation far surpass month of credited interest on cash.

While many of us post to two decimal places.... one would probably be informative enough. I suspect that disparities in sources and methods of calculation far surpass month of credited interest on cash.

True. But measuring is what we talk about here. ;)

PS. Speaking of computing to 0.01%, it is really meaningless when we often see 1% or higher change a day! Or even in a matter of 1 hour.

Last edited:

This, and the other comments on the topic, are what I was thinking while composing the (a bit tongue in cheek) post about interest not being posted yet.

For me, though, because I have a good chunk in the stable value fund of my 401K, it actually makes a difference (I had to run the numbers out of curiosity). With the SVF interest: 10.01%. Without: 9.93%.

Normally I round to the tenth of a percent, because, as noted, these calculations are run with some fairly rough assumptions, my biggest being that since it's based on every account, I presume linear spending of last years spend, increased by inflation. But spending is "lumpy", so paying off a credit card with an overseas trip is also going to change the tenths.

Anyway, this thread, this forum, is more about entertainment and chatting with like-minded people than it is about precision :)

PS. Speaking of computing to 0.01%, it is really meaningless when we often see 1% or higher change a day! Or even in a matter of 1 hour.
That's true too.

My 1Q result actually has this morning's market changes for things that are priced real-time on their respective web sites.

If I wait for the interest to be posted, that's like 10PM, and then if I don't do the exercise until after the market opens, the results will contain part of today's fluctuations. Like I said, entertainment.

EDIT: Oh, and this calculation is a side-effect of my process to check asset allocation.

Last edited:
Maybe one way to see benchmark results would be Wellesley.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VWIAX/performance?p=VWIAX

YTD for VWIAX is 5.80%. AA is 35-40% fixed.

Or take a look at VASIX (AA is 20% fixed). YTD is 2.96%.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VASIX/performance?p=VASIX

Understand about the benchmarks but was curious in real life portfolio returns at these levels which some have responded to.
Effectively, the curiosity is more on potential outsized gains on the fixed income side, if using index funds on the stock side.

1/31 +10% YTD Over half recovered from my terrible Nov/Dec '18
2/28 +14.57 and almost back to my 52 week high.just another ~4.5% to break the 52 week high
3/31 +16.75 and I was beating all three indexes until the Nasdaq pulled ahead today

Many of you have outstanding gains so far. I'm on the low end of what you folks are getting. I'm still very happy with what I have ytd though.

+17.48% for Q1 2019, so glad I stayed the course.

+1 there has been a lot of chatter and some fun rides this month, with the quickly inverted yield curve and some trade related hooplah, add-in robo-advising to the hilt and this is what the new norm is from quarter to quarter.

Hang, on and please keep your arms and hands inside the ride at all times.

+1 there has been a lot of chatter and some fun rides this month, with the quickly inverted yield curve and some trade related hooplah, add-in robo-advising to the hilt and this is what the new norm is from quarter to quarter.

Hang on and please keep your arms and hands inside the ride at all times.

Right!

However, there's already another thread jubilating about the market, not unlike the following photo.

Components-of-small-roller-coaster-rides-in-the-amusement-park-300x169.jpg

This, and the other comments on the topic, are what I was thinking while composing the (a bit tongue in cheek) post about interest not being posted yet.

For me, though, because I have a good chunk in the stable value fund of my 401K, it actually makes a difference (I had to run the numbers out of curiosity). With the SVF interest: 10.01%. Without: 9.93%.

Normally I round to the tenth of a percent, because, as noted, these calculations are run with some fairly rough assumptions, my biggest being that since it's based on every account, I presume linear spending of last years spend, increased by inflation. But spending is "lumpy", so paying off a credit card with an overseas trip is also going to change the tenths.

Anyway, this thread, this forum, is more about entertainment and chatting with like-minded people than it is about precision :)

Eh, in a competition like a race even a few inches matter, hence runners stick out their chests to cross the finish line first. Here, every 0.01% counts. ;)

Last edited:
Eh, in a competition like a race even a few inches matter, hence runners stick out their chests to cross the finish line first. Here, every 0.01% counts. ;)
Is the end of the race six feet under, or retirement? :rolleyes:

There is no precision in these posted numbers and probably not much accuracy either. For instance, did anybody notice the mistake in YTD performance in my last post for one of the benchmark funds? :facepalm:

I kind of quit looking last year since it was just too depressing, but I'm glad to see that everyone is doing really well this year. We're definitely getting back what we lost last year.

Back
Top Bottom