2020 Year-End Distributions

Well we should find out this evening as I’m pretty sure today is the ex-div date along with several other index funds.

Yup! They posted the dividend notice in the last hour (and I updated/edited my post to add this in):

A dividend of 1.327 per share, declared on 12/11/2020, will be posted to your account on 12/14/2020.

Wonder what the chances are for them to do cap gains of any flavor this year? They haven't paid any since April 2019, so unlikely?

Yup! They posted the dividend notice in the last hour (and I updated/edited my post to add this in):

A dividend of 1.327 per share, declared on 12/11/2020, will be posted to your account on 12/14/2020.

Wonder what the chances are for them to do cap gains of any flavor this year? They haven't paid any since April 2019, so unlikely?

No cap gains IMO. The fund would have been listed in the estimated cap gains doc, and it would have been paid today along with the div.

Audreyh1, did you happen to see those "spike" dividends Fidelity posted this morning in some bond funds? Besides your actual data appearing in your Account Activity tab, the per-share data appears in the YTD Distributions tab (not the Cap Gains one) which takes a while to load.

The big bond fund I own has paid one out for the third year in a row, while another bond fund I have been in since 2008 paid one out for the first time in those 12 years.

I got one from FSNOX - it was quite small. Since Fidelity doesn’t provide dividend estimates anyway, it’s hard to predict.

I’m signed up for email alerts on MF distributions so I new already this morning.

I got one from FSNOX - it was quite small. Since Fidelity doesn’t provide dividend estimates anyway, it’s hard to predict.

I’m signed up for email alerts on MF distributions so I new already this morning.

I don't get email alerts on my non-IRA (taxable) account, only the IRA account. This is because of a bug in Fidelity's system they are unwilling to fix. My non-IRA account is not a brokerage account but instead one of their old Mutual Fund-only accounts, one I have had for 30 years. They don't want their clients having MF-only accounts, so they are unwilling to make any fixes to them. I like having a MF-only account because it is easier to make transfers into and out of Fidelity, so this is the price I pay for being a long-term client. I have complained about this over the years after I lost this handy email-alerts perk following some unknown system change.

It was only after I signed into my account did I notice not one but two "spike" distributions, one in the IRA and the other one in the non-IRA.

I'm not sure how much it matters that Fido doesn't give estimates. VG estimates always seem low, so all you can do is figure a ballpark amount to convert or whatever you want to do with extra tax space at year end. If you are anywhere near a cliff you wouldn't dare take any action with the estimates.

Talk about a wierd year. Normally I would have been all over this thread and projecting my taxable account dividends, how much is qualified or not, estimating how much my foreign taxes paid would be, how much of a Roth converison I should do, etc. But this is the first time that I have viewed this thread. Since I sold all my equities in the spring and the LTCG filled up my 0% capital gains tax bracket and spilled a little into 15% I don't give a care.

A bit of FOMO seeing how the markets have rebounded so strongly, but I still think that eventually stock values will align with the economy and decline dramatically. If they don't then valuations are so crazy that I have no interest in playing the game.

I will do a Roth converion for about 80-90% of what I think I'll be able to do early in 2021 and then top it up at the end of 2021.

I don't get email alerts on my non-IRA (taxable) account, only the IRA account. This is because of a bug in Fidelity's system they are unwilling to fix. My non-IRA account is not a brokerage account but instead one of their old Mutual Fund-only accounts, one I have had for 30 years. They don't want their clients having MF-only accounts, so they are unwilling to make any fixes to them. I like having a MF-only account because it is easier to make transfers into and out of Fidelity, so this is the price I pay for being a long-term client. I have complained about this over the years after I lost this handy email-alerts perk following some unknown system change.

It was only after I signed into my account did I notice not one but two "spike" distributions, one in the IRA and the other one in the non-IRA.

I get the alerts from my taxable accounts. I don’t have them set up for the IRAs.

Oh, my main taxable account is a brokerage. I finally got rid of my Fidelity mutual fund only accounts as they were too restrictive. I have no trouble doing transfers in and out of Fidelity from the brokerage accounts. It’s the fastest for me. It’s usually same day, whereas in my old Fidelity mutual fund only account the transfer would not occur until the next day because they always waited until after market close.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom