2020 Year-End Distributions

I can't find an estimate for Schwab funds or ETFs but from their home screen (once you've logged on) one can switch the view to "investment income." From there, you can export a .CSV file by month for the entire year, including estimates for each fund through the end of the current year. I then sorted the resulting spreadsheet by account which let me strip out the IRAs, giving me an estimate of income for the year. I didn't even have to do the math.

It'll be an odd year for me... usually I would be all over this as part of my year-end tax planning, Roth conversion, etc. Since I no longer have stocks in my taxable account... no worries.

It'll be an odd year for me... usually I would be all over this as part of my year-end tax planning, Roth conversion, etc. Since I no longer have stocks in my taxable account... no worries.

I don't do conversions anymore so I can wait until early January to true up my estimated tax payment for Q4. One less thing to worry about in December.

No Roth conversion for me this year either... I've got a little headroom to do about $3,800 of tIRA withdrawals that I'll use 100% withholding on to pay estimated taxes so when I file my tax return I'll pay 15% on that $3,800 because it will push $3,800 of LTCG from 0% to 15%. I don't mind paying 15% given that I was at 28% or higher when I deferred that income.

I found that one of my remnant odds-and-ends mutual fund investments has released estimates for a mid-December Capital Gains distribution. Jensen Investments has a few funds and the notices are on different pages for each fund. My fund, JENSX, Quality Growth Fund is expecting a $4.73 per share distribution. Up from $3.665 last year. Ouch. Glad I have a little breathing room in my ACA cliff calculations.

https://www.jenseninvestment.com

I found that one of my remnant odds-and-ends mutual fund investments has released estimates for a mid-December Capital Gains distribution. Jensen Investments has a few funds and the notices are on different pages for each fund. My fund, JENSX, Quality Growth Fund is expecting a $4.73 per share distribution. Up from $3.665 last year. Ouch. Glad I have a little breathing room in my ACA cliff calculations.

I think they all will be high this year.

One of the funds I exchanged earlier in the year during the market drop. I was able to clear out a few funds.

I can't find an estimate for Schwab funds or ETFs but from their home screen (once you've logged on) one can switch the view to "investment income." From there, you can export a .CSV file by month for the entire year, including estimates for each fund through the end of the current year. I then sorted the resulting spreadsheet by account which let me strip out the IRAs, giving me an estimate of income for the year. I didn't even have to do the math.

It only lists interest and dividends. I have some capital gains and losses from assets sold and tax loss harvesting. To see those, you have to go into the taxable account and look for Realized Gains. And there will be year-end capital gains distributions. I don't know how to see those on the Schwab website.

It only lists interest and dividends. I have some capital gains and losses from assets sold and tax loss harvesting. To see those, you have to go into the taxable account and look for Realized Gains. And there will be year-end capital gains distributions. I don't know how to see those on the Schwab website.

True. I probably neglected capital gains since I'm an index fund investor and CGs are relatively small (but not zero) compared to dividends. This year, who knows?

I expect Schwab's estimates will be available at https://www.schwabfunds.com/resources/distributions-and-tax-center once they become available.

I don't know if it is true for other companies, but for Fidelity they don't list all the funds right now. Over the few weeks (I hope, not longer than that), more of their funds will get posted. For now, a fund which may or may not have a year-end distributions isn't distinguishable from a fund which will have one but just isn't known yet.

I don't know if it is true for other companies, but for Fidelity they don't list all the funds right now. Over the few weeks (I hope, not longer than that), more of their funds will get posted. For now, a fund which may or may not have a year-end distributions isn't distinguishable from a fund which will have one but just isn't known yet.
I believe the funds not listed have $0 estimated cap gains distributions. I have never seen funds added after the fact, although I have received a small cap gains distribution from a fund where none was estimated.

Also, Fidelity stopped giving estimates of dividends a while ago. Many funds will still pay dividend distributions in Dec. I wish they would provide these like most fund companies do.

The main portion of our year-end CG distro's come from three T. Rowe Price funds.

This year, the estimates are the highest I have ever seen. Glad we are not paying state tax on them this year.

The main portion of our year-end CG distro's come from three T. Rowe Price funds.

This year, the estimates are the highest I have ever seen. Glad we are not paying state tax on them this year.
I dumped the last of my active funds in March including TRP International Stock. I was getting killed on capital gain distributions every year.

The only reason we don't sell, is taxes - we've owned these funds for 20+ years. It's durned if you do, durned if you don't.

I dumped the last of my active funds in March including TRP International Stock. I was getting killed on capital gain distributions every year.

Just keep taking the distributions in cash, and eventually your unrealized gains in the fund will be small enough to sell the rest. If your unrealized gain is smaller than the estimated distributions, you can sell ahead of the distribution. You can also check the basis of each lot - some may have smaller gains than others and you can trim those first.

I did what tax loss harvesting I could in March - but the window of opportunity was so short I only got about half of it done.

The only reason we don't sell, is taxes - we've owned these funds for 20+ years. It's durned if you do, durned if you don't.
I was facing that, but the big drop earlier in the year was an opportunity to switch to a fund with lower distributions without incurring large capital gains. In fact I had a loss. While I don't like losing money, a cap loss is a useful thing to have when controlling income. Putting the money in a new fund let me take part in the recovery. Now that one is a fund I'd rather not sell because of the gains, but that's ok.

I don't know that I had 20 years in that other fund, but it was over 10.

That's exactly what we've been doing. There always seems to be some year-end expense that absorbs the year-end distro (minus taxes, set aside).

Just keep taking the distributions in cash, and eventually your unrealized gains in the fund will be small enough to sell the rest. .

We did our Roth conversions when the market tanked earlier this year. Even though we’ve paid a bunch of taxes already this year, we’re going to have to fork out another estimated $35k on April 15. First world problems, I know.

That's exactly what we've been doing. There always seems to be some year-end expense that absorbs the year-end distro (minus taxes, set aside).

Mine generally get moved to other more tax efficient funds as I rebalance, but of course I take my annual withdrawal in Jan and then rebalance, so it’s hard to say where anything “goes”.

I just got info for a couple of legacy funds paying out large cap gains dists. I have gotten rid of most bad actors, but there are still some that delivery a nasty surprise now and then. I have a couple of funds with ginormous unrealized gains, and those are the culprits giving back big taxable chunks this year. Still, overall, this year looks to be a huge improvement compared to the last few, and I have some harvested losses to offset part of the gains.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom