2021 Investment Performance Thread

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wow, what a banner year 2020 was despite COVID19! Everyone was a winner in 2020, some with huge gains. Here's hoping that 2021 will be another positive year.

As before, this thread is about "investment" performance. That is, this thread is more about sharing what investment is working and not working YTD. Good luck, everyone.

Last year's performance thread here - https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/2020-investment-performance-thread-101479.html

International/Small Cap

I was up almost 7.5% in 2020, which seems in line with my 43% stock allocation beginning 2020 (it's up to 46.5% now).

That said, I noticed in reviewing Quicken that the 3 month performance for my international/small cap funds were outpacing the S&P. Is it a momentary correction or a beginning of a shift away from the "richly valued" S&P/tech? I'll be interested to watch since the valuations on international/small cap remain appealing, at least in comparison to the S&P.

0% YTD for me for 2021.

Oh wait! The year 2021 has not even started. What are we talking about?

I actually show a .05% decline since I have an automatic monthly transfer from savings into checking that hit on 1/1/2021.

2021 investment performance will be 8.0%.
:D

I know, this is not a poll or prediction thread!
Couldn't resist!!
Good luck to all!!!

+9.52% as of Dec 31, 2020. I'm happy with that. What a rollercoaster ride it was!

Wow! This bunch never misses a chance to pile on. I guess that's why we all hang around.:facepalm:

I'll have to wait for the EOY statements to roll in for 2020 (first one arrived - DW's American Funds "little ROTH" is up only 4.2%. She likes SAFE investments.) YMMV

Up multiple double digits in 2020. Doing my darndest to come close to that in 2021.

The comments so far suggest there are many people on this site in the preservation / decumulation / distribution phase of investing. Agree?

Several posters showed their 2020 return, while this is the 2021 thread.

Granted, this is only Jan 6, and we have had only 3 trading days into the year 2021, but as people are so anxious about their 2021 return, I will tell you mine.

It's 2.01% YTD. I am surprised it's that good compared to the S&P and NASDAQ which are negative. The Dow is better at 0.7%.

What gave me the above return? I have none of the hot stocks like Tesla. The outperformers in my portfolio in the first 3 days of the year are chip and chip equipment makers, metal and phosphate miners, energy, and regional banking.

I hope my early luck will not turn into a rout as it did in 2018. In January of that year, my early 7% gain by Jan 26 quickly evaporated and turned into a -4% loss in just 2 weeks when a couple of volatility ETFs crashed, and brought the entire market down. Does anyone else remember that ETF fiasco?

Last edited:
This is the 2021 thread.
Oh! I didn't read anybody else's post so I just assumed it was for 2020! No idea what my rate of return is for this year so far. I only check it at the end of each month.

Oh! I didn't read anybody else's post so I just assumed it was for 2020! No idea what my rate of return is for this year so far. I only check it at the end of each month.

We'll let it go this time.:LOL:

I actually show a .05% decline since I have an automatic monthly transfer from savings into checking that hit on 1/1/2021.

Withdrawals and deposits should not change your investment performance %.
:facepalm:

Yeah, that’s kind of a joke right now just being a few days into the new year. But I expect the OP just wanted to go ahead and establish the thread for 2021. Just a few have posted their 2020 results here, but many more recently on the 2020 thread which is ongoing.

Everyone remain calm. Put down all sharp objects. Stay away from the train tracks...
:D

I may start posting 2021 recipes until Jan 31 rolls around.
:angel:

Could have probably lived without this thread until 1/31, but I did some HSA shuffling and usually visit the asset allocation sheet when I make transfers... something definitely happened in 2021 as several buckets crossed their reallocation limits, and I did a little rebalance.

I had to sell off a lot of Gilead to take a needed tax loss on Dec 28 but the remaining options I kept in my Roth are up by half a Tesla (and a decent Tesla). I can't sell for another 20 days or so though to avoid wash sale rules.

Withdrawals and deposits should not change your investment performance %.
:facepalm:

But some investment sites just take the total account value at beginning of the year and the end of the year total, to calculate the return.

So if a person takes out money, it looks like the investment return was lower than it really performed.

I do the same, just my total amount last yr compared to this year and that is my return as it's just easier, and close enough.

Back
Top Bottom