2024 Investment Performance Thread

Jan '24 : +1.35% Did a roth conversion, decided to tweak stock allocations still 100% equities but tilted towards VGT a little more now. AAPL took a hit in after hrs after reporting positive EPS. As many know this is about 30% of my portfolio...before the recent selloff it was about 35% of my portfolio but I am fine not buying in again.

I added it up this morning...

1/31/2023: +1.05% YTD.

Just by itself, that's a nice number. But as of 1/29 I was up 2.41%. And in 2023, that first month gave me 7.08%.

Still, I'm not gonna be greedy! I'm happy with it!

Oopsie, made a little boo-boo. It turns out, when I updated my totals, I forgot two accounts. It wasn't a huge amount, but enough to sway things a bit.
Actual return for 1/13/2023 was +0.78%. Still not complaining, though!

What are folks using to calculate YTD and monthly gain/loss?

Just recording values at the beginning and end of each period?

Well that, plus I take into account any additions or withdrawals during the period.

So, if I had $1M on 12/29/23, and $1.1M on 1/31/24, but put in an extra $100K in that month, my return would be zero, and not 10%.

Now I'll admit, my formula for calculating the return isn't perfect. I don't know the truly proper way to do it. So, I calculate it pretending the net withdrawals/deposits were all done at once, at the beginning of the period, and then again at the end of the period, and take the average of the two.

So, if I had $1M at the beginning of the period, $1.1M at the end of the period, but over that period, put in an extra $50K total, I'd calculate it as:
$1.1M / ($1M + $50K), and then ($1.1M - $50K) / $1M, and take the average of the two.

In this case, that comes out to 4.76% and 5.00% respectively, with the average being 4.88%, and that's the number I would quote.

I've already updated my numbers to reflect February 1, so my formula has lost the 1/31 numbers. However, as of 2/1, the two numbers are 1.93% and 1.94%, respectively. I haven't added enough to my investments, to really make any meaningful difference at this point in the year.

Last edited:

That is what I am doing. In our case we don't pull much at all from the portfolio, so it is a guess-timate of performance.

At the end of the year I pull actual performance numbers, weight the various results, and use that number.

Fidelity and Schwab both report my investment performance numbers on their websites, so I just use those.

Excel updates gives me a balance etc every evening. To the penny. M* backs it up

Simple division: current retirement fund value divided by starting value - 1. Starting value is less the annual withdrawal. No additions during the year so it’s a simple calc for me.

I don’t bother with tracking monthly results, just YTD.

Last edited:

I just look at NW total mo/mo. This year I'm paring it back to quarterly, but it's a running total, so easy to get. ~1.1% (including a little income)

For me, I am just referring to my Schwab brokerage account. Not included are any additional forms of Investment Performance such real estate, rental income, promissory notes, etc.

Our Schwab account is our main retirement asset. So far, since my retirement on May 7th 2021 we have been able to add to the Schwab account due to other successful investments.

Investment Performance results for our Schwab portfolio are excluding net contributions to the account from outside investments.

I've seen this movie too many times to get too excited but the past two weeks brought in 1.47%. Ask me again on 12/31/24

This method, where you use starting and ending balance, adjusting for the plusses and minuses is fairly close to the IRR for me, which is really the gold standard.

For convenience, a lot of folks just do it on their one brokerage account. I have a sheet where every liquid account gets recorded, so I use that. The loose change in the couch isn't in the sheet, but everything else is :LOL:

As of Feb 2, 2024 Update:

- Up 8.53% across my portfolio YTD
- Current AA (equities / bonds / cash) = 90% / 0% / 10%
- Overall NW is up 5% YTD
- Reached 68% of my goal FI target
- ROTH performance YTD = +22% (NVDA, AMD, TSM, MAGS)
- ROTH is 14% of overall portfolio

Jan '24 : +1.35%
Feb '24: +5.1% unfortunately trailing the SP500 with my massive position in AAPL and the bit of a hit that's taken. 100% equities, ~66% Magnificent 7, 34% AAPL

Our Schwab portfolio has moved more conservative to an AA of 52/48, equity/fixed income, versus 60/40

YTD +1.14% ending January
YTD +4.50% ending February

Back
Top Bottom