6 Events That Could Trigger Retirement

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attachments

• Retrigger.jpg
    Retrigger.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 96
Since you've already achieved the second most common reason, which other trigger(s) are you waiting on? Not the first I hope...

You know I have to ask... :)

Post wasn't meant to discuss my situation, but I think I want an entirely new career so I am just deciding whether to retire without something lined up OR line up something, "retire", and start the new career. I'd leaning toward the first, but the second is clearly less risky.

Post wasn't meant to discuss my situation, but I think I want an entirely new career so I am just deciding whether to retire without something lined up OR line up something, "retire", and start the new career. I'd leaning toward the first, but the second is clearly less risky.
So instead of getting wrapped up in all these discussions of whether or not you should retire, concerns about running out of money, etc., you should maybe change your focus to a discussion how to accomplish a career change?

Not being critical here, just sayin'...

And maybe you've been doing this very thing and I'm the one stuck on the wrong subject. :)

It's interesting that there are considered to be 10 events that would delay retirement, but only six that would trigger it...

I think you should write a best-selling book called "Just One More Year!".

You could ask Rich_in_Tampa to star in the movie...

It was only meant as a public service announcement for those who like graphs better than essays. Sheeeeeeeesh...:angel:

Reminds me of a poll on this board (one or two years ago?). The question was "What was the reason you left when you did?"

IIRC, most of the answers were something negative about the job. New boss, re-organization, new assignments, couldn't go through another year of budget crisis, laid-off and just couldn't find a reason to look for another job, etc.

Of course, our posters are younger retirees who were typically FI for some time before they decided to hang it up.

These fit my situation pretty well. I looked into retirement this summer because of a threatened layoff. I decided to retire because I was financially able to do so. I am timing my retirement to my 55th birthday. And I am motivated to retire before I develop health problems.

I'm retiring because I can! And I always liked weekends better, so this way I'll have weekends all the time! WhooHoo!!

If I get to choose, I'll go with option #2 (financial independence). The rest just don't have the same appeal.

I'm retiring because I can! And I always liked weekends better, so this way I'll have weekends all the time! WhooHoo!!

I like your attitude! Retirement is even better than weekends, because you don't have the work week looming over you on Sundays, spoiling half the day. :D

I like your attitude! Retirement is even better than weekends, because you don't have the work week looming over you on Sundays, spoiling half the day. :D
Yes, that would be nice not having to think about work during the middle of the nights.

What kind of career are you thinking about?

Yes, that would be nice not having to think about work during the middle of the nights.

Believe me, it is. I have dreamed/nightmared about work only once or twice since I retired.

When I was working, I used to awaken thinking about work stuff in the middle of the night for a couple of hours sometimes. I would watch old re-runs on TV to try to stop thinking about it so I could get some sleep.

Believe me, it is. I have dreamed/nightmared about work only once or twice since I retired.

When I was working, I used to awaken thinking about work stuff in the middle of the night for a couple of hours sometimes. I would watch old re-runs on TV to try to stop thinking about it so I could get some sleep.

I did that too.
Amused my SO of the time that I would sit up in bed at some ridiculous hour with a response to a software problem.

What kind of career are you thinking about?
Been trying to figure that out for most of this year, no luck so far, undoubtedly part of the reason I'm stuck in mid air. Though I have quite a few I want to explore (thanks to the Zelinski Get-A-Life-Tree and other sources). I may make that my second "career" for a year or so on the way to a possible third.

Me too. Now I only wake up during the middle of the night when the market is tanking. :banghead: Haven't done the head banging thing in a while. Kind of stimulating.

I may make that my second "career" for a year or so on the way to a possible third.
When submarine junior officers would get out of the 1990s Navy, they'd call a headhunter. One of my JOs went through the entire process with Lucas Group-- he knew what field he wanted to work in, and he did all the right things, and he had a number of good interviews. But for whatever reasons he just didn't quite mesh with any of the companies.

A couple months into this process, Lucas Group noted that he was really good at the career-search process-- and hired him. Within a year he'd expanded Lucas' military program from junior officers to senior enlisted, and it went gangbusters for him.

So maybe there's a perpetual career in a perpetual career search.

I just retired 2 months ago. I had 3 triggers, each one wasn't sufficient by itself. They were:
1) A couple of close friends who were younger than me died suddenly. The one that really hit home was a co-worker who was the office jock. They found melanoma inside his nose & he was gone 12 months later.
2) The job went to S**t. I'd always enjoyed what I was doing but got stuck in a position where I had to work 12 hours a day and try to persuade people I had no line authority over to do things I thought was stupid. When I wasn't doing this, I was putting together layoff lists and trying to figure out how to explain to my management that 10 people couldn't do 20 persons work.
3) Because of 1 & 2, I started researching this and other boards and found out that financial independence had snuck up on me. I had been planning to hold on until my pension maxed out but I found out I didn't need to.

So far, its been the best decision I've made in a long time. My first 2 grandchildren were born the first 2 months after retirement. Their parents don't live close to my house so its been a lot of fun being there for their first two weeks and helping around the house. If I'd still been working, my DW would have been doing this while I was stuck at the office.

Back
Top Bottom