60 Day IRA Rollover Question - just prior to 59 1/2

Da Nag

Recycles dryer sheets
We have several IRAs with funds available next summer, but could really use some of the funds in late spring for major home projects we need to get going on.

I know about 60 day rollovers, having used them a few years back. However, at that time - when the funds were put back into the IRA, we were still younger than 59 1/2. Very straightforward, clear rules.

The scenario I'm wondering about: Say we pull the funds from one IRA next spring when one of us is roughly 59 and 4 months. Is an IRA rollover still allowed if the 60th day is beyond 59 1/2? If so, we could "pay it back" from the other IRA, as those funds would be available at 59 1/2.

And, if such a shell game is allowed - presumably the funds returned via the IRA rollover could be pulled again as soon as they showed up, as you would be past 59 1/2.

There are no age limitations on IRA rollovers.

Your shell game should work.

The rules were changed a few yrs ago so you can now do only 1 60 day rollover every 12 months. Violation of this rule means the forbidden transaction is taxable and must be removed from the IRA.

"IRA one-rollover-per-year rule
Beginning after January 1, 2015, you can make only one rollover from an IRA to another (or the same) IRA in any 12-month period, regardless of the number of IRAs you own."

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plan...vers-of-retirement-plan-and-ira-distributions

Last edited:
The rules were changed a few yrs ago so you can now do only 1 60 day rollover every 12 months. Violation of this rule means the forbidden transaction is taxable and must be removed from the IRA.

"IRA one-rollover-per-year rule
Beginning after January 1, 2015, you can make only one rollover from an IRA to another (or the same) IRA in any 12-month period, regardless of the number of IRAs you own."

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plan...vers-of-retirement-plan-and-ira-distributions

However, if one were his (hers) and other was spouse's...

Sure, the IRS rules you linked to indicate that an individual can only do one non-"trustee to trustee" rollover (i.e. doing a cashout and redepositing on your own).

However, if the IRAs are for two different individuals, he/she could take the money in hand from each - it would only be one rollover for each person and within the restrictions of the rules you indicate.

But, even then, if he/she were rolling over both, he'd/she'd need to redeposit the full amounts of each in the new rollover IRAs. Or on the second, since spouse is over 59 1/2, just count it as a withdrawal and there wouldn't be any penalty.

In any case, it seemed to me that it was just a temporary cash flow issue and his/her plan for getting around the rules/limitations would work.

Last edited:
The OP talked about a shell game.......I had the impression to keep doing it forever......didn't see how that would work.

so OP's purpose is just do do an early w/d w/o paying the early w/d penalty? 1x only.

How old is the other party? If over 59.5, why not just take the funds from there?

Last edited:
The OP talked about a shell game.......I had the impression to keep doing it forever......didn't see how that would work.

Agreed - can't work indefinitely.

I was under the impression it was just to get around this timing issue of reaching 59 1/2.

Nope - just temporary cash flow as mentioned earlier.

Three years back we did something similar when building a home and it worked out well. We had adequate cash to do most of it, and got about 80-85% through before running out of money. Given the expenses and limitations of a construction loan, we did the following to complete it:

- 60 day rollover withdrawal from IRA #1 (mine) to fund construction completion
- 60 day rollover from IRA #2 (spouses), pay back IRA #1 58 days later
- Take out conventional home loan w/cash back to pay back IRA #2

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom