AARP?

The $12 I paid to AARP has more than paid for itself. They have a program that you earn points (online quizzes, easy and some quite interesting) and then apply those points towards credit cards. I buy gift cards for cruise lines at 10% off. So for next cruise I bought $2,000 in gift cards for $1,800, more than paid for the membership fee for the year. BTW, going on another cruise in a few months, I'll be buying gift cards once again at a discount again then too. BTW, that program also has various other gift cards that you can by at 10% discount, so if not a cruiser you may find other benefits.

I am a AARP member (I like their politics) and I don't have the problem with getting mail from them that other posters seem to have. I get 2 magazines from AARP (I enjoy them) and an annual dues notice but very little other mail from AARP. I also am a member of AAA and I get alot more junk mail from AAA than I ever do from AARP. The AAA junk mail does not really bother me, I just toss it in the recycling bin.

The $12 I paid to AARP has more than paid for itself. They have a program that you earn points (online quizzes, easy and some quite interesting) and then apply those points towards credit cards. I buy gift cards for cruise lines at 10% off. So for next cruise I bought $2,000 in gift cards for $1,800, more than paid for the membership fee for the year. BTW, going on another cruise in a few months, I'll be buying gift cards once again at a discount again then too. BTW, that program also has various other gift cards that you can by at 10% discount, so if not a cruiser you may find other benefits.

Didn't know that. Have some cruise plans in the future.
Thanks.

Try putting in a change of address form for your mom to an address of your choice. :LOL:

Change the address to:
[-]AARP[/-]
601 E Street, NW
Washington DC 20049

:)

Or better yet, set up an online account using her AARP membership number and change her address in their records to that DC address.

Change the address to:

:)

Or better yet, set up an online account using her AARP membership number and change her address in their records to that DC address.

All fun and games but I think that might get you dinged for some kind of mail fraud.

I have been a member twice starting in my 50's. I let it lapse both time and am not even remotely interested in restarting. Just didn't see anything in it for me.

I still get regular mailings from them asking me to rejoin. Even comes with a new membership card. I just trow it in the shredder with the other 99% of paper mail I get with a name and address printed on it.

All fun and games but I think that might get you dinged for some kind of mail fraud. ...

I'm not a lawyer, but mail fraud seems a stretch... you wouldn't be trying to deprive them of property... you would be returning their property to them... besides, I think a judge would be sympathetic.

mail and wire fraud is any fraudulent scheme to intentionally deprive another of property or honest services via mail or wire communication

Both are definitely available in my zip code. My understanding from other posts is the AARP version still offers the option to change the plan without underwriting. There also may be some additional benefits for seniors, such as gym memberships. I'm hoping to call them in the next week to check on this.

I hope you'll post back and let us know the answers. DH is 1.5 years away. When I did a quick check a few months ago I saw United Health Medigap plans available here. I'd like to avoid dealing with AARP if possible unless really worthwhile - they already send us junk and we're not even members! (What they are sending is membership related).

Don't need it and don't want it.

I like the magazines, but they are actually a liberal political action committee many retirees don't agree with.

That's why I don't need it and don't want it.

After I retired, the only copy of their magazine I ever read promoted free sex and legalization of marijuana. Seriously... I wasn't a hippy in the 60s... why would I start now ??

After I retired, the only copy of their magazine I ever read promoted free sex and legalization of marijuana. Seriously... I wasn't a hippy in the 60s... why would I start now ??

You sure that wasn’t High Times?

You sure that wasn’t High Times?

No, it was AARP's magazine.

Living in the Bible-Belt all my life, I was shocked !

The Times They Are a-Changin'

Both parties have proposed (and sometimes passed) bad legislation which hurts seniors.

If someone is so enamored with one political party that everything that party says or does is 100% OK, and anyone who calls them out on bad policy is the enemy, then I humbly suggest the problem is with that person, not the organization pointing out the bad policy.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. And it's usually much more nuanced and complex than simple daily "talking points" and political campaign sound bites.

We need a group which can do the complex research, grasp the nuance, and tell it like it is when either side proposes something dumb. Not yet another group in lock step with one political party or the other.

I call out AARP when I disagree with them. But I do believe that AARP is legitimately trying to advocate for seniors. They only appear biased (right or left, depending) when compared with extreme views on either side.

As for the literary quality of their magazine, well, that's another question. I certainly don't agree with the positions many of their writers take in the "fluff" articles which really have no relation to political advocacy. So what? It's someone's point of view, nothing more. It really doesn't affect me or my views.

They put a ton of money supporting anything democratic. I am conservative, would not give them a dime because it would go to support the far left!

Gotta agree with Mdlerth here.

I certainly understand "looking out for #1" first, but I can't accept that across the board.

What if they promote something that is 'good for us seniors', but bad for our children and grandchildren? Need to look at the big picture.

-ERD50
You could say that about any organization or advocacy group.

True. Does that change anything? Each group should be evaluated on those merits, in this thread we are evaluating AARP. - ERD50

I have no qualms being an AARP member. Yet at the same time, I have no quarrel with folks who decide AARP is not for them.

IMO, the key is knowing where you stand on certain issues. For example, in my family there are several that are vegetarians. They don't believe animals should be eaten for our benefit. Taking a step back, I see what they are say and the thought of what goes into processing, gives me pause. But I know, I like the taste of meat and can't picture not having any as part of my diet. I'm honest with myself, but think that I can see both perspectives.

To each their own :).

True. Does that change anything? Each group should be evaluated on those merits, in this thread we are evaluating AARP. - ERD50

Nope, doesn’t change anything. Just pointing out that your comment applies to ALL advocacy groups, AARP included of course.

The last Advocate for Everybody was born 25 Dec 0000

Correct... and I often do.

I believe in a free and equal society, people should be able to pursue interests that have meaning or value to them. So if they think that some problem is important, they should be free to try to improve it. To that end, I applaud their willingness to spend their own time, money, brains and energy on finding a solution.

But I observe that an awful lot of "advocacy" groups aren't interested in doing that. What they are interested in doing is pressuring governments to devote public resources to fixing their pet problem. Mandate this, ban that, and force the taxpayers to cover the cost whether we like it or not.

What you eventually end up with is an unlimited number of voices - many of them conflicting - all clamoring for preferential treatment. Surely that is the exact opposite of a free and equal society. Where are the Advocates for Everybody?

Both parties have proposed (and sometimes passed) bad legislation which hurts seniors.

If someone is so enamored with one political party that everything that party says or does is 100% OK, and anyone who calls them out on bad policy is the enemy, then I humbly suggest the problem is with that person, not the organization pointing out the bad policy.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. And it's usually much more nuanced and complex than simple daily "talking points" and political campaign sound bites.

We need a group which can do the complex research, grasp the nuance, and tell it like it is when either side proposes something dumb. Not yet another group in lock step with one political party or the other.

I call out AARP when I disagree with them. But I do believe that AARP is legitimately trying to advocate for seniors. They only appear biased (right or left, depending) when compared with extreme views on either side.

As for the literary quality of their magazine, well, that's another question. I certainly don't agree with the positions many of their writers take in the "fluff" articles which really have no relation to political advocacy. So what? It's someone's point of view, nothing more. It really doesn't affect me or my views.

I've been reading the AARP magazines for a decade. I've never really considered them a far left liberal organization, as some have said. Yes, they advocate to keep SS and Medicare solvent and they are against taking benefits away from seniors, but I can't really see how that is bad thing for either liberals or conservatives.

Oh well, no big deal. If you disagree with AARP or get no benefit, then by all means don't join.

Reactions: MJ

What you eventually end up with is an unlimited number of voices - many of them conflicting - all clamoring for preferential treatment. Surely that is the exact opposite of a free and equal society. Where are the Advocates for Everybody?

IMO, the whole concept of equality for everybody is a bit of an oxymoron.

In math, something like 1 + 1 = 2. End of story.

But with people, that's where the oxymoron comes in. In theory, everyone should be treated equally without bias. Yet at the same time, in theory everyone should be treated independently and not lumped together with a broad brush. How to balance to two is the big question.

Sorry..now back to the AARP discussion. :popcorn:

Wow, I read the AARP magazines every month and have not seen anything about free sex (and very little about marijuana, just medicinal marijuana). I am going to dig out some old copies and see if I can find the free sex stuff.

Back
Top Bottom