Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I do a fair amount of activity on Amazon Prime, exclusively using the 5% back credit card. I average about $250/month.

But....

I never ever use it for anything OTHER THAN on amazon.com. I don't carry the card in my wallet, in fact it's been sitting in a kitchen drawer since the day I received it. So every amazon purchase goes right on the card, and when the bill comes I know it has only amazon purchases. And then the 5% just comes right off the billed amount the next month.
sakowitzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We pay everything on Amazon prime card - all bills on autopay. About $4000 a month. We get around 3% back on average. Fun money.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can do a lot of juggling.
Amazon Prime card is 5% at Amazon and 3% on everything else until 11/11/2020.

BAC Preferred Platinum level is 5.25% for bonus category. Main ones are gas and online purchases, pick one.
BUT...you can have 2 (or more) cards and have a different bonus category for each. (Plus they give you a $100 or $200 signup bonus for new card.)
We have one set to gas and another set to online shopping.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
You can do a lot of juggling.
Amazon Prime card is 5% at Amazon and 3% on everything else until 11/11/2020.
You must be lucky to be getting 3% on everything else until 11/11/2020. The offer they sent me just bumped me up to 2% on everything else. Anyone else get 3% offer, or just 2% like me? It was worded funny, and I thought it was 3% until I read it a couple more times.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello, I see here a lot of VERY SMART PEOPLE!

I heard Amex cards aren't accepted in many places, anyone knows why? I'd love to get the 6% - is it only for grocery stores AND year round? Or like Chase, changing merchant categories quarterly? The latter is a bother, no? I opened a checking acct. at Citibank, and ordered that 2% card but….they declined it, yet my Credit Score is 815 Excellent just received today. To know the reason, I'd have to jump through many hoops as it happens nowadays by phone, so I'll cancel my account lol!

As to Amazon, I tried Prime for a few months but I don't buy enough to make it worth, I am alone, rarely need fast shipping, don’t have time to watch videos unless I need them, etc. Items are mostly overpriced, a difference of up to $6!!! I buy at Whole Foods but have to walk too much to find their Prime items which are only few. One item I wanted to buy didn't look good compared to the same non-Prime. I will discontinue it. Someone said they also give 5% on purchases. Anybody knows how?

As to Gift Cards, when I buy them would I get 5% or near, on them? And then I could pay with them when I purchase items and get another percentage on top? Must I pay with the Gift Cards in the same store? Or in any other store, etc.? Do the Gift Cards have a deadline?

Any ideas anyone on my 3 paragraphs above? Thank you!

P.S. As to small groceries (not supermarkets), I'm never sure if a CC covers them. Asking them didn't help. Did anyone here ever wonder it?
Rosedala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:16 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
General question on the Amazon card. What credit line amount are they extending to folks?
My Amazon Prime credit limit is $21,200. Kind of a random amount haha.
kflesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Another thought
Old 09-12-2020, 06:34 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Another thought

We have used the city cards a couple of times when they have their $500 or $500,000 point promos. I usually grab them in September or October in order to buy gift cards for Christmas presents.

However we have used the Chase ultimate rewards card in combination with the Chase Sapphire reserve for years and wouldn't look back. That's our core and here's why.

first the Chase ultimate rewards gives you 1% back on most things but has these 5% promos every quarter period for example Home Depot and groceries, or gas and all wireless things like cable, internet, cell phone. We earn most of our points with this card because we also have a 29 unit apartment rental business and all expenses, or at least most expenses flow through that. Then the Chase Sapphire reserve costs 450 bucks a year period but we immediately get a $300 travel credit each year and we spend that and then some easily.

Then, all travel and dining is worth three points, everything else is one point.

For a kicker, if using the chase portal for travel, they give you a fifty percent bonus on your points, so for example our sign-up bonus of 100,000 points was worth 1500 bucks in plane tickets.

Now, because travel came to a standstill, they decided to give a 50% points bonus to all dining, home improvement stores, and groceries. We had about $10,000 worth of points saved up and so all of our groceries, entertainment and Home Depot purchases from July 1st to September 30th have been 100% paid for by points. I can't tell you how amazing that feels.

Just some perspective. I have also considered going with that Amazon card you talk about, in fact mine currently will give me $125 plus 5% but I don't want to use up my chips and I'm holding out for at least a $500 sign up bonus on something.
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:56 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean56 View Post
I got myself the Amazon Prime Visa card 2 months ago and received a $100 gift card.
The 5% cash back on purchases is great.

I haven't seen that deal. The one I see is a $60 credit to purchases. I have seen it at $70 once or twice.
Two questions; What is the difference between the Amazon Store card and the Chase Amazon VISA card?
What credit bureau do these cards use, I need to unfreeze my credit.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Biz vs. regular
Old 09-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Biz vs. regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I haven't seen that deal. The one I see is a $60 credit to purchases. I have seen it at $70 once or twice.
Two questions; What is the difference between the Amazon Store card and the Chase Amazon VISA card?
What credit bureau do these cards use, I need to unfreeze my credit.
I think the $125 bonus I mentioned is for the Amazon BUSINESS Amex, Not a Chase. My bad. (That's an innocuous neologism meaning "my mistake")
Old 09-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
You must be lucky to be getting 3% on everything else until 11/11/2020. The offer they sent me just bumped me up to 2% on everything else. Anyone else get 3% offer, or just 2% like me? It was worded funny, and I thought it was 3% until I read it a couple more times.
There were several different deals that were offered. Some people (me) didn't get any offer, others got 5%, 3% or 2% on everything.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #51

We have a few cards and like having the Amazon card among them.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosedala View Post
Hello, I see here a lot of VERY SMART PEOPLE!

I heard Amex cards aren't accepted in many places, anyone knows why? I'd love to get the 6% - is it only for grocery stores AND year round? Or like Chase, changing merchant categories quarterly? The latter is a bother, no? I opened a checking acct. at Citibank, and ordered that 2% card butÖ.they declined it, yet my Credit Score is 815 Excellent just received today. To know the reason, I'd have to jump through many hoops as it happens nowadays by phone, so I'll cancel my account lol!

As to Amazon, I tried Prime for a few months but I don't buy enough to make it worth, I am alone, rarely need fast shipping, donít have time to watch videos unless I need them, etc. Items are mostly overpriced, a difference of up to $6!!! I buy at Whole Foods but have to walk too much to find their Prime items which are only few. One item I wanted to buy didn't look good compared to the same non-Prime. I will discontinue it. Someone said they also give 5% on purchases. Anybody knows how?

As to Gift Cards, when I buy them would I get 5% or near, on them? And then I could pay with them when I purchase items and get another percentage on top? Must I pay with the Gift Cards in the same store? Or in any other store, etc.? Do the Gift Cards have a deadline?

P.S. As to small groceries (not supermarkets), I'm never sure if a CC covers them. Asking them didn't help. Did anyone here ever wonder it?
I personally think getting that Amex with the 6% grocery category is VERY smart. I can't get my DW to jump on board. She gets very overwhelmed with that stuff, but her card is the BOA 3-2-1 gas, grocery, everything else, so it's not a huge sacrifice (also, all our groceries are FREE for the 3rd quarter anyway, with the aforementioned Chase Sapphire Reserve)

Amex is not accepted in all places because they charge the merchant more than visa or mastercard. So if you don't mind the added headache of having a visa handy for thsoe times, it makes sense. Amex tends to work well with Delta Airlines as well, if you use them.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #53

Quote:
I heard Amex cards aren't accepted in many places, anyone knows why? I'd love to get the 6% - is it only for grocery stores AND year round? Or like Chase, changing merchant categories quarterly?
Lots of places don't accept Amex because it costs them more than accepting Visa. The Amex Blue Cash Reward gives 6% on the first $6000 you spend on groceries per year, so it depends how much you buy.

Quote:
As to Amazon, I tried Prime for a few months but I don't buy enough to make it worth, I am alone, rarely need fast shipping, donít have time to watch videos unless I need them, etc. Items are mostly overpriced, a difference of up to $6!!! I buy at Whole Foods but have to walk too much to find their Prime items which are only few. One item I wanted to buy didn't look good compared to the same non-Prime. I will discontinue it. Someone said they also give 5% on purchases. Anybody knows how?

Amazon gives 5% to Prime members who use the Amazon Credit Card or Amazon Store Card at Amazon or Whole Foods. They give 3% to non-Prime members who use one of those two cards. The 5%/3% applies to purchasing gift cards at Amazon also. You don't get any additional discount when you use the gift cards -- they're just normal cards that you have to use at the store they go with. For example, if you buy a $100 Starbucks card at Amazon using your Amazon Credit Card and you are a Prime member, you will get 500 points back, which you can use for $5 off your next Amazon purchase. You will get $100 worth of food and merchandise when you use the card at Starbucks.

If you don't find Prime worth it, and you don't like the prices at Amazon or Whole Foods, these cards are probably not a good idea for you.

Quote:
For small non-grocery stores where you can also buy some food, it depends on how each one is setup with the credit card companies, but usually they do not fall in the grocery category.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
I personally think getting that Amex with the 6% grocery category is VERY smart. I can't get my DW to jump on board. She gets very overwhelmed with that stuff, but her card is the BOA 3-2-1 gas, grocery, everything else, so it's not a huge sacrifice (also, all our groceries are FREE for the 3rd quarter anyway, with the aforementioned Chase Sapphire Reserve)

Amex is not accepted in all places because they charge the merchant more than visa or mastercard. So if you don't mind the added headache of having a visa handy for thsoe times, it makes sense. Amex tends to work well with Delta Airlines as well, if you use them.

Tank you for the good explanation on BOA hotwire! Then, actually the 6% is similar give and take to when you get 5% merchants quarterly give and take, no? I donít use gas and very little of everything else like flying (even less under the pandemic) but my biggest purchases are veggies and fruits plus grains and beans (vegan since the 70s when nobody, including myself, knew the meaning of the word, lol!!)

Thanks for posts like yours, I now feel more comfortable deciding on which cards to use and how. Thanks again!
Old 09-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Lots of places don't accept Amex because it costs them more than accepting Visa. The Amex Blue Cash Reward gives 6% on the first $6000 you spend on groceries per year, so it depends how much you buy.

Amazon gives 5% to Prime members who use the Amazon Credit Card or Amazon Store Card at Amazon or Whole Foods. They give 3% to non-Prime members who use one of those two cards. The 5%/3% applies to purchasing gift cards at Amazon also. You don't get any additional discount when you use the gift cards -- they're just normal cards that you have to use at the store they go with. For example, if you buy a $100 Starbucks card at Amazon using your Amazon Credit Card and you are a Prime member, you will get 500 points back, which you can use for $5 off your next Amazon purchase. You will get $100 worth of food and merchandise when you use the card at Starbucks.

If you don't find Prime worth it, and you don't like the prices at Amazon or Whole Foods, these cards are probably not a good idea for you.

For small non-grocery stores where you can also buy some food, it depends on how each one is setup with the credit card companies, but usually they do not fall in the grocery category.

Hello and thank you Cathy63 for your explanation, I can see now that BOA 6% is not for me, too bad. 😊 Also thanks for deciphering the matters of buying Gift Cards. So if you get interest on GCs but not on purchasing with them at Amazon and Whole Foods, with Amazon cards...where is the extra benefit? Sorry to be so obtuse on these matters.

Thanks to your kind advice Iíve decided Prime isnít for me. Using their 3% should do it for the few items I buy from them. In addition, I use Chase and Discover for those quarterly five percenters when they cover vegan foods lol! Also TD Bank offers all the time (not quarterly) 3% on restaurants and 2% on groceries.

Other than WFs which I know are covered as groceries, I buy in small stores (donít know in which category they are) where they mostly sell very fresh veggies and fruits and they're closer to home. Thatís why I never know whether CCs consider them groceries!

Anyway, a big thank you for helping clarifying much about CCs!
Old 09-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

Chase has been doing some tasty offers during covid times.
I got a 4% on everything else(5% Amazon) offer on the Amazon card good for 6 months. Nice boost for Property Tax payment next month!
Freedom Unlimited and Freedom Flex are currently offering 5% on groceries for the first year. (plus a $200 opening bonus after $500 spend).All are no fee cards.
I replaced our AMEX BCP with a Freedom Unlimited. Amex does 6% on up to $6000 but has a $95 annual fee so, effectively,about a 4.4% card. The Chase points can be transferred to Sapphire Reserve for an effective 7.5% return.
I should add , despite the 50% boost,it'll be hard to justify the Sapphire Reserve annual fee next year unless and until unrestricted travel is back on the horizon.
mageedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #57

cathy63 said it all.
"If you don't find Prime worth it, and you don't like the prices at Amazon or Whole Foods, these cards are probably not a good idea for you."

Chasing the overall best CC deals is a separate topic, and one with HUGE regional/individual variables.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Something to perhaps keep in mind if this matters to you: Typically credit cards with banks like Chase, Amex etc....offer a reasonable amount of customer service, particularly in merchant disputes and the like. I have found that Synchrony (the AMZ card) operates less like a bank and more like an affiliate of Amazon, so they are not helpful (at all in my experience) with respect to disputes or problems. They will side with Amazon over the customer in this regard.
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:39 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
cathy63 said it all.
"If you don't find Prime worth it, and you don't like the prices at Amazon or Whole Foods, these cards are probably not a good idea for you."

Chasing the overall best CC deals is a separate topic, and one with HUGE regional/individual variables.
I agree. Also I don't have much time to chase after CC best deals, especially since they aren't extraordinary these days...
Old 09-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyOne View Post
Something to perhaps keep in mind if this matters to you: Typically credit cards with banks like Chase, Amex etc....offer a reasonable amount of customer service, particularly in merchant disputes and the like. I have found that Synchrony (the AMZ card) operates less like a bank and more like an affiliate of Amazon, so they are not helpful (at all in my experience) with respect to disputes or problems. They will side with Amazon over the customer in this regard.
Hi, it would matter to me if it came to a dispute, thanks a lot. But so far when I find something wrong, I call Amazon directly (as much as I hate using the phones nowadays) and they always fix it to satisfaction...with only one exception - sometimes they answer from the Philippines or Nigeria or whatever and I have a hell of a time understanding their speech, lol!

Thanks again. < Adela