Amazon Prime going to $99 but stock makes up for it

No you don't. I have the desktop app and no Kindle device and I read only the free books.

You can read free Kindle books on the desktop app or non-Kindle devices, i.e. books that cost nothing. With a prime membership, though, there are some non-free Kindle books that you can borrow and read only on a Kindle device.

Here's how to continue to get Prime for $79 - at least for a while.

For new memberships the price is still $79 until mid-April.

If you are an existing member, until the price goes up you can purchase an Amazon Prime Membership Gift Card for $79 and specify the future delivery date of the gift. Our membership just renewed and I'm purchasing a Prime gift card for DW, with a delivery date the day after our membership expires next February.

Hey, 20 bucks is 20 bucks...

Reading "The Consumerist" here it looks like this option may only be available until March 20.
Because of discrepancies between renewal dates mentioned in e-mails sent to Prime subscribers and what some members were seeing on their account profiles, Consumerist spoke to Amazon, which confirmed that new users will be able to sign up for Prime at the current $79 rate until March 20. Existing members whose accounts renew before April 17 will have their memberships re-upped at the current rate. Any memberships purchased after March 20 or renewed after April 17 will be at the $99 rate.

With one tiny loophole.

By coincidence, I had signed up for Prime last week. They sent me an email saying that after my 30 day free trial, it would be charged at $79 and renew in April 2015 at $99.

I've often been tempted in the past to go Prime, but resisted. However, I needed something quickly last week and gave in to the temptation, thinking I could always cancel during the free trial period.

But I plan to keep it and renew, simply due to the extra advantages (movies, TV shows, and Kindle books).

We signed up for Prime a year or so back for the streaming video and free kindle book library. The free 2 day delivery is lagniappe for us and still surprises us at times. Just had a delivery today for something DW ordered yesterday.

At $99 we'll continue to pay.

We used to have a Lagniappe but we traded it in for a brand new Amuse Bouche.

(But lagniappe is a good way to describe the free/prepaid-by-the-membership-fee shipping benefit of Amazon Prime if you joined for other reasons.)

Our 29 year old son has had Amazon Prime for a few years and loves it, mostly for the free shipping, not the video streaming. For his brother's 27th birthday he got him a year of Amazon Prime as a gift, because the younger brother doesn't have pay TV, just OTA and Netflix. He has an Apple TV and uses our DirecTV logon to watch CNN and a few other channels on his laptop or sent to his TV. So for him, the streaming video was the best part. But he also finds that he uses the 2 day shipping frequently.

We shop on Amazon a lot, but I look for free shipping or I group enough things together to get the free shipping. Of course, that's their slow shipping method, not the 2 day like with Prime. Having a Prime account seems to change the way you think about buying something. Just find it, click to buy and be done!

Most of our Amazon purchases are things that I don't need in a hurry so I don't mind waiting. Only once did I ask my son to buy something using his Prime account.

If I wasn't so darn frugal I bet we'd love an Amazon Prime account.

Our 29 year old son has had Amazon Prime for a few years and loves it, mostly for the free shipping, not the video streaming. For his brother's 27th birthday he got him a year of Amazon Prime as a gift, because the younger brother doesn't have pay TV, just OTA and Netflix. He has an Apple TV and uses our DirecTV logon to watch CNN and a few other channels on his laptop or sent to his TV. So for him, the streaming video was the best part. But he also finds that he uses the 2 day shipping frequently.

We shop on Amazon a lot, but I look for free shipping or I group enough things together to get the free shipping. Of course, that's their slow shipping method, not the 2 day like with Prime. Having a Prime account seems to change the way you think about buying something. Just find it, click to buy and be done!

Most of our Amazon purchases are things that I don't need in a hurry so I don't mind waiting. Only once did I ask my son to buy something using his Prime account.

If I wasn't so darn frugal I bet we'd love an Amazon Prime account.

When you group things together in order to qualify for the free shipping, do you find yourself buying things you weren't thinking of just to get the free shipping? If so, then that kinda defeats the purpose.

I had a similar situation recently. I do have Amazon Prime, but needed an add-on product (a SATA adapter for fixing up a computer). I really didn't want to wait but at the same time didn't want to spend the extra money to buy a non add on adapter. So I had to pause and think about what else to buy to bump the purchase up to over $25 for the add-on.

After looking at my wish list and not wanting to buy something I am just thinking about, I ended up buy some treadmill lubricant which though now I have an extra bottle, will consume eventually.

A lot of buying strategy involved. :)

When you group things together in order to qualify for the free shipping, do you find yourself buying things you weren't thinking of just to get the free shipping? If so, then that kinda defeats the purpose...........

Yea, but not $99 worth a year. Like you, I try to buy things I'm sure I'll use eventually.

whoa--I ordered a book from Amazon yesterday afternoon. Last night I got an email that it had shipped (Prime), to arrive Monday as expected.

Today around noon I see a regular ol' Toyota Prius pull up in front of my house. I hear a plunk on the front doorstep.

It's the book--less than 24 hours since I ordered it. And delivered by some contractor in a Prius? On a Saturday? :confused:

I live in the bay area, so maybe that's where they're moving toward same day delivery? Not sure where their warehouse is--the envelope has the usual North Las Vegas address--where everything has shipped until they had to start charging sales tax in CA and are building more fulfillment centers.

Regarding this thread, this is clearly something I could have waited a few more days for. ;) But if Amazon is going to start delivering things within 24 hours, and on Saturdays, I'm going to get spoiled....

whoa--I ordered a book from Amazon yesterday afternoon. Last night I got an email that it had shipped (Prime), to arrive Monday as expected.

Today around noon I see a regular ol' Toyota Prius pull up in front of my house. I hear a plunk on the front doorstep.

It's the book--less than 24 hours since I ordered it. And delivered by some contractor in a Prius? On a Saturday? :confused:

I live in the bay area, so maybe that's where they're moving toward same day delivery? Not sure where their warehouse is--the envelope has the usual North Las Vegas address--where everything has shipped until they had to start charging sales tax in CA and are building more fulfillment centers.

Regarding this thread, this is clearly something I could have waited a few more days for. ;) But if Amazon is going to start delivering things within 24 hours, and on Saturdays, I'm going to get spoiled....

Wow, that's excellent! It does sound like your location is helpful. I seldom if ever get orders in less than 2 business days with Amazon Prime, so even a Monday delivery would have been a day earlier than I would have expected if I ordered something on a Friday afternoon.

I think I might have mentioned it before, but I got a car part for my old pickup on a Monday that I ordered on Saturday. That's pretty good considering the place is so far up in the mountains the the post office doesn't deliver up there at all. The $99 is well worth it. It costs me close to $10 in gas to go in to town and back in the pickup and pretty well kills the whole day.

I think I might have mentioned it before, but I got a car part for my old pickup on a Monday that I ordered on Saturday. That's pretty good considering the place is so far up in the mountains the the post office doesn't deliver up there at all. The $99 is well worth it. It costs me close to $10 in gas to go in to town and back in the pickup and pretty well kills the whole day.

Exactly, and there are plenty of ways to save more money than that in a year. For me, dropping cable TV comes to mind, as well as dropping my landline; I doubt i would miss either but just haven't gotten around to TCOB.

Back
Top Bottom