Amazon Prime on sale Friday

broadway - Thanks for the suggestion about the TV fire stick. So if I plug that into my TV I'll be able to use those apps?

I bought the TV (my first smart TV) just 2 1/2 years ago. Obviously not an early adapter but I'm trying. Is it really time to upgrade again?

Before you buy something extra to plug into your tv, you might try using your tv settings and going to the update or firmware spot to update your tv.
It might add the app during the update.

Otherwise, yes you can buy various devices that plug into your tv , for example I have a blue ray dvd player that is a "smart one" and it has netflix and a bunch of other apps on it that I can use on the tv.
It plugs into the tv just like any old dvd player, and of course it plugs into the internet router.

Thanks for the suggestions about updating the firmware. I'll try this first.

Roku is the way to go, IMO. Essentially, you end up bypassing the "Smart" in the Smart TV. The Roku, or other, device is far superior since the interface takes you to new possibilities the TV manufacturer does not give you.

Be aware that Roku requires you to provide various personal information before it will activate your device. Some other brands, such as Sony, do not have this requirement.

Be aware that Roku requires you to provide various personal information before it will activate your device. Some other brands, such as Sony, do not have this requirement.

Well Amazon already knows plenty about you:) Son account thru playstation know plenty about you as well.

Last time I checked, Roku wants your name, address, credit card, email, and phone. You could get around some, but not all, of that data supply by phoning them. With your card linked to the Roku device it's easier for you (or anyone using the device) to spend more. Of course maybe that's a good thing, depending on your preferences and spending patterns.

AppleTV - you pay through your iTunes account for some subscriptions such as Netflix. For Amazon, since you are using airplay from one of your devices, no personal information required.

Last time I checked, Roku wants your name, address, credit card, email, and phone. You could get around some, but not all, of that data supply by phoning them. With your card linked to the Roku device it's easier for you (or anyone using the device) to spend more. Of course maybe that's a good thing, depending on your preferences and spending patterns.
Uh, that is information just about everyone knows, right?
So, they have my name, ok, that seems to be in every database, righteous or not, on the face of earth. They have my email address set aside for purchases, and that is kinda anonymous. Phone number is never answered, lol. You need to supply card no., as with most things in life. Use of that on Roku is protected by a PIN. When Roku and I communicate after signed in, it is highly encrypted. Haven't had the need to buy anything in 9 months of use.

Why is this Roku not a good thing?

I don't know what original poster meant about Roku, but signing up for any streaming service anywhere will need the same information. I love Roku...

Back
Top Bottom