Amazon spending

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Did you know you can generate an Amazon order history report? You set the date parameters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/b2b/reports

I initially reviewed my Quicken Amazon transactions, but actually thought it was less that I'd have guessed. The Amazon report confirmed that my Quicken accounting was accurate.

I'll just say that I see a little room to trim our budget here. :D

I used to foolishly think that UPS, FedEx, and the USPS were in our 'hood delivering stuff that included a fair amount of Amazon orders (including mine). Now that those Prime trucks and vans are here, I know that delivering Amazon orders was ALL that they were doing. :LOL:

Yes! I've been using it to track annual spend rates, and then create monthly averages at year's end. So far, since 2011, my monthly averages have ranged between $300 and $800...2019 was moderate, at $400. My number of orders peaked with my first year of Prime, at 88 in 2017. The number of orders went up substantially after I was married!

The download is in Excel, which I don't own. Wish I could figure out how to open it in Google Sheets.

Actually, the reports come in csv format (comma delimited text.) Just about any spreadsheet program, or even word processor or text editor, can open them.

I haven't bought anything from Amazon since the Instant Pot in 2017 or maybe it was Black Friday 2016. Their prices are too high and lots of items are out of date. I do better comparison shopping through other companies. Chewy, Target, and Staples are among the retailers' boxes that appear on my porch.

I tried to run the report back to my first order in December 2005 and it failed in processing. So then I ran it back to 2009 and it worked. Total spent was just over $22,000 for over 700 orders. Wow.

I haven't bought anything from Amazon since the Instant Pot in 2017 or maybe it was Black Friday 2016. Their prices are too high and lots of items are out of date.

Interesting. I've found the exact opposite. Big box stores are usually way behind the times, especially with things like electronics and LED lighting, which are always changing.

I check Amazon for the reviews, product descriptions and customer Q&A's. More often than not, I buy it there because it's cheaper, too. Most days it's quicker to get 2-day delivery than to put it on my list for the next time I'm near the store.

I'm always game for piling on a big corporation, and Amazon certainly fits the bill. But they got that way by offering a good product, good prices and good customer service. I suspect they'll eventually go the way of all corporations and lose sight of their customer's needs. But meanwhile, it's hard for me to bash them.

Did you know you can generate an Amazon order history report? You set the date parameters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/b2b/reports

I initially reviewed my Quicken Amazon transactions, but actually thought it was less that I'd have guessed. The Amazon report confirmed that my Quicken accounting was accurate.

I'll just say that I see a little room to trim our budget here. :D

Why trim your budget there if you are living within your means?

I did know about being able to access my entire order history and was amazed to discover that my very Amazon order included “A Millionaire Next Door”.

I was a little annoyed yesterday to see that the Amazon Prime subscription price has gone up to $119, a 20% increase from last year. Bezos must need the extra $$ to pay his divorce lawyer😁

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I was a little annoyed yesterday to see that the Amazon Prime subscription price has gone up to $119, a 20% increase from last year. Bezos must need the extra $$ to pay his divorce lawyer😁

The $119 price went into effect in May of 2018, so maybe Bezos has been planning the split for months.

Interesting. I've found the exact opposite. Big box stores are usually way behind the times, especially with things like electronics and LED lighting, which are always changing.

I check Amazon for the reviews, product descriptions and customer Q&A's. More often than not, I buy it there because it's cheaper, too. Most days it's quicker to get 2-day delivery than to put it on my list for the next time I'm near the store.

I'm always game for piling on a big corporation, and Amazon certainly fits the bill. But they got that way by offering a good product, good prices and good customer service. I suspect they'll eventually go the way of all corporations and lose sight of their customer's needs. But meanwhile, it's hard for me to bash them.

Just priced an inexpensive all-in-one printer. $20 more at Amazon and a week to deliver because I don't pay for Prime. Staples will deliver in one day for free and it's at the lower price. 5 percent back for using the business card or I can stop by Best Buy when I'm out and use my cash rewards at the lower price. This seems to happen every time I need something and comparison shop. I check Amazon and buy elsewhere.

I think a lot of LBYM people do little to no business with Costco and Amazon because they rarely have the newest merchandise at the best prices. That's probably more true for those that live in areas with a high concentration of stores nearby. I belong to Costco for the gas, the Kirkland cat food, the cheap rotisserie chickens and the paper goods, when they are on sale cheaper than Target.

I don't usually look at Staples, so I did a quick comparison. I chose a printer, more or less at random, based on similarity to the one I already own.

Amazon price: $399, could have it here tomorrow with Prime, plus 5% off for using my Amazon store coard.

Staples price: $399, could have it here tomorrow or pick it up in store, this includes $100 "instant savings," whatever that means. I don't have a Staples 5% off deal, although I could use my 2% cash back credit card.

Both places offer good customer service. It's the same product. I'd probably buy it from Staples if I was going that way anyway, or Amazon if not. Competition is a good thing.

We don't have a Costco near us, but I have a BJ's membership for cheap gas.

Their (Amazon's) prices are too high and lots of items are out of date. I do better comparison shopping through other companies. Chewy, Target, and Staples are among the retailers' boxes that appear on my porch.

I agree. Amazon is most always the highest price. And their delivery stinks unless you give in and pay for 'prime' which, no one ever seems to amortize into the cost of the products they buy. Add the fact that they always charge state sales tax now and it's not even close. I can most always find better prices elsewhere including ebay.

Last edited:
Amazon Prime is worth it to me for far more than the shipping. The Prime Video is just one: we have a couple of Amazon Firesticks and love Jack Ryan and the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel plus it's a gateway to Netflix and many other streaming apps. Not only that, but there's the music that comes with a Prime Membership. We have several Echo devices around the house and can have surround sound when we tell Alexa to play on all devices. I guess you could say we're fully Amazon assimilated.

And their delivery stinks unless you give in and pay for 'prime' which, no one ever seems to amortize into the cost of the products they buy.

We use Prime for streaming almost every night ("Mrs. Maisel" is a hoot!) so I figure the amortized delivery cost of the 60 orders we placed with Amazon last year was $0, just a nice extra perk.

Cool, thanks for the link. I didn't know that feature was available.

It looks like I spent $3742 at Amazon for the year. Wow. Sounds like a lot, but going through the purchased items I didn't see anything that was necessarily wasteful. I had everything from tools, to office supplies, to car parts. I had a few splurge items, of course, but not as many as I would have expected.

I am NOT a prime member, but I always order the minimum to get free shipping anyway. I have no problem waiting 5-8 days for a delivery. If anything, they helps reduce impulse buys knowing it will take some time to get whatever item I'm wanting.

I've always found Amazon pricing to be competitive for most items. The main reason I shop there is the selection. I would love to run down to the local electronic store (if one existed) or office supply to get what I need, but the reality is 9 times out of 10 they won't have what I want/need after I make the drive.

Yeah, I could probably find some items cheaper if I shopped around online, but I like that I can order a software program, an air filter for my lawnmower, a box of envelopes, a parking brake cable for my car, and a camcorder and have it all delivered to my door in one box.

About 7.5% of my overall spending. A laptop was a biggie this year, as was OTC med spending for a health issue. If I was concerned about my overall spending, I'd go through the list and see how much was frivolous, but I'm not, so why bother?

Went back to 2017. Less than of 2018 in total and as % of yearly spending.

This also doesn't include the 5% back on using my prime card. I don't think it includes the Prime subscription cost either, but that's trivial.

We always comparison shop Amazon. We still buy a lot of stuff there, so they still have plenty of good prices.

I've always found Amazon pricing to be competitive for most items. The main reason I shop there is the selection. I would love to run down to the local electronic store (if one existed) or office supply to get what I need, but the reality is 9 times out of 10 they won't have what I want/need after I make the drive.

Yeah, I could probably find some items cheaper if I shopped around online, but I like that I can order a software program, an air filter for my lawnmower, a box of envelopes, a parking brake cable for my car, and a camcorder and have it all delivered to my door in one box.

I comparison shop for just about every purchase. And almost every time I come back to Amazon. Even if the price is the same elsewhere, I know I can trust Amazon's shipping and customer service. Almost never is the price cheaper elsewhere, unless it's drop-shipped from China, or a shady vendor, or there are hidden shipping fees you can't see until you check out.

But I agree with Mountainsoft that the biggest reason is the selection. I really try to find other sources for odd-ball things I need, but lately Amazon always come through. The low price, fast shipping and good customer service makes it hard to go elsewhere.

I will say, I make sure it's "fulfilled by Amazon" if I need it quickly.

Back
Top Bottom