Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Annuities
Old 10-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 173
Annuities

What am I missing in my understanding of the annuities mentioned in this CNBC article? Here is the example from the article:

If a 65-year-old male were to use $100,000 to purchase a fixed annuity to start paying out immediately, he would get about $487 per month for the rest of his life, or $5,844 per year, according to Schwab’s annuity calculator.

However, the article says in an earlier paragraph that a man reaching age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 84, according to the Social Security Administration.

That is 19 years x $5,844 per year = $111,036.

So over 19 years you will only be paid a $11,036 premium over your initial $100,000 investment. Plus, don't annuities expire when you die, meaning your heirs get $0.

Unless I am missing something, or unless you are that one French lady who lived to be 122 years old, this product seems heavily skewed in favor of the party selling you the product.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/15/annu...t-to-know.html
CSdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,110
You're not missing anything
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas: No Country for Old Men
Posts: 48,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSdot View Post
Unless I am missing something, or unless you are that one French lady who lived to be 122 years old, this product seems heavily skewed in favor of the party selling you the product.
Congratulations, you have illustrated the reason so many folks on this forum aren't interested in purchasing an annuity.
__________________
Numbers is hard

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 71
Yeah, I think if you expect to live to 95-100 maybe, but yes that is not a very good deal.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 173
Sad thing is CNBC writes an article entitled: "Annuities might be coming to your 401(k) plan. Here’s what you need to know," yet tells you nothing you need to know. It almost looks like an advertisement for the product.
CSdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 23
Well, as you noted, it is a 'product' & companies that produce products tend to expect to make a profit...so yea, skewed. To be transparent, I'm not planning on buying one. But I do see how some might find it of use.

Trying to objectively look at what annuity provides...basically longevity insurance. How do they do that? Partially by pooling risks. In case someone doesn't understand what "average" means, it means half will die sooner than average (that is, get back even less than your math) & half will die later (get more).

Most folks on this forum are probably above average in their understanding & comfort level with finances. Consider someone who doesn't want to fool with it & likes the steady income. Perhaps no kids or financially healthy kids. Depending on how it is set up, it doesn't have to be for full pot of money in retirement (& of course may not have cola, etc).

Some will want the dependability of the annuity payment regardless of what happens in stock market. If they should become incapacitated or have slight cognitive decline, payments keep coming. Unexpected health care cost early on eat away at assets? checks keep coming

I would suggest this product is more for those needing/wanting a sleep well at night effect than a high rate of return
all4j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 168
Just remember there are MANY types of annuities ... To be honest MOST of them are BAD!!
I do have a MYGA that i LOVE paying me 3.92% for 5 years.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSdot View Post
Sad thing is CNBC writes an article entitled: "Annuities might be coming to your 401(k) plan. Hereís what you need to know," yet tells you nothing you need to know. It almost looks like an advertisement for the product.
And that surprises you?
__________________
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Never slow down, never grow old!
CardsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Beaver island, MI and St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 82
I have about 30% of my retirement funds in annuities. This, together with Social Security gives me a stable lifetime income that covers my basic expenses. A bond ladder would beat this if I didn't live into my 90s, but I'm in good health, and may live to 100, as did two of my male family members. If I die early my heirs will get plenty from the other 70%. If I live a long time they will still get a fair amount from the other 70% (which is invested aggressively).
I'm not sorry I have annuitized part of my savings. However, I think waiting to age 70 or so makes more sense than doing it at 65, the rates are a lot better.
MikeTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:18 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
OldShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: City
Posts: 7,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTN View Post
... a stable lifetime income that covers my basic expenses. ...
Not picking on you, sir, but the issue with a fixed annuity is that inflation eats the buying power that the salesperson claims is preserved by its "fixed" nature. IIRC the long term US average inflation is 4.11%. Just 20 years at this rate this would reduce the buying power of a fixed dollar annuity by well over half. (To 43 cents on the dollar if my calculator is correct.)

Just observing this doesn't make he inflation problem disappear, of course, but it illustrates why the SS COLA is so wonderful.
__________________
Ignoramus et ignorabimus
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 30,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSdot View Post
What am I missing in my understanding of the annuities mentioned in this CNBC article? Here is the example from the article:

If a 65-year-old male were to use $100,000 to purchase a fixed annuity to start paying out immediately, he would get about $487 per month for the rest of his life, or $5,844 per year, according to Schwab’s annuity calculator.

However, the article says in an earlier paragraph that a man reaching age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 84, according to the Social Security Administration.

That is 19 years x $5,844 per year = $111,036.

So over 19 years you will only be paid a $11,036 premium over your initial $100,000 investment. Plus, don't annuities expire when you die, meaning your heirs get $0.

Unless I am missing something, or unless you are that one French lady who lived to be 122 years old, this product seems heavily skewed in favor of the party selling you the product.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/15/annu...t-to-know.html
If you paid $100,000 and received $487/month for 19 years (84-65) that's an IRR of 1.12%.

A 10 year period certain has an IRR of ~1.48% so that sounds about right.

I don't know if I would say it is skewed to the insurer.... it is just that interest rates are very low and they'll be investing your premium money mostly in bonds so you aren't going to get a lot of return.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 13,063
I suggest that 65 year old male by the COLA'd annuity sold by Uncle Sam. It's called taking SS at 70 years of age. IMHO, it's a much better deal.

He gives up 5 years worth of SS checks (the payment) and gets about 40% more money each month (the benefit). And it's indexed to inflation, not fixed.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 8,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Just remember there are MANY types of annuities ... To be honest MOST of them are BAD!!
I do have a MYGA that i LOVE paying me 3.92% for 5 years.
I manage some MYGA's for my parents and it is the only type of annuity I would consider.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GravitySucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 3,104
There is an insurance component so there an insurance premium.

At 55 i put 10% of my nut into a deferred premium that started payout at 62. If I lost or blew 80% of the remaining between those times I'd still be able to survive. And in the head space I was in at the time could have happened. That also let me sleep at night 90% equity year 1, 80% yr. 70% most of year 3. Worked out great for me.

And, what if you live to the 90% age? Yeah inflation will eat 75% of it but still better than nothing.
__________________
ďNo, not rich. I am a poor man with money, which is not the same thing"
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:22 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 173
These two bullet points from the CNBC article say a lot:

*The Secure Act of 2019 aimed to reduce plan sponsors’ concerns over legal liability if an annuity provider were to fail.

*Here’s how BlackRock plans to get a guaranteed income option into 401(k) plans.

Anyone want to guess how many lobbying dollars went into changing the law to allow the sale of this product in 401(k)s?
CSdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
RetiredHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 787
For all you Mathematicians... these are 2 term deferred income annuities which I bought at the age of 53.5. I think the returns are pretty good but I don't have a calculator to get exact rate of return.

- $218K lump sum payment to buy 10-year term annuity. $2820 per month, 120 monthly payments to start at age 60. If I die before it starts paying, the premium is returned to beneficiary. If I die after payment starts, the remainder of the monthly payments will be made to beneficiaries to the full term/duration. Total amount of payout at end of 10 years is $338,400.
- 211K lump sum payment to buy 15-year term annuity. $3786 per month, 180 monthly payments to start at age 70. Similarly, if I die before it starts paying, the premium is returned to the beneficiary. If I die after payment starts, the remainder of the monthly payments will be made to beneficiaries to the full term/duration. Total amount of payout at end of 15 years is $681,480.


-
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:08 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 173
Of course the big question is how often do these annuity providers fail? At least with mutual funds you are spread across hundreds of individual companies' stocks, so if we have another 2000 (where many of the dot com stocks went to zero) or 2008 (where Lehman and others went to zero), you have plenty of other companies that hopefully weather the financial storm to cushion the loss and allow you to regrow your next egg during the bull that follows the bear.

However, if you pay $218K and $211K to ABC Insurance Company in 2020 hoping that they will support you from 2027 - 2037, and again from 2037 - 2052, then there is a lot riding on ABC Insurance Company making good financial decisions and remaining solvent for the next 32 years. At a minimum I would pick two different Insurance Companies to provide those annuity products to hedge the risks.
CSdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.
RetiredHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSdot View Post
Of course the big question is how often do these annuity providers fail? At least with mutual funds you are spread across hundreds of individual companies' stocks, so if we have another 2000 (where many of the dot com stocks went to zero) or 2008 (where Lehman and others went to zero), you have plenty of others to cushion the loss.

However, if you pay $218K and $211K to ABC Insurance Company in 2020 hoping that they will support you from 2027 - 2037, and again from 2037 - 2052, then there is a lot riding on ABC Insurance Company making good financial decisions and remaining solvent for the next 32 years.
Hence you need to look at ratings of the insurance companies. There is also a state covered amount should any of the companies fail, although the limit is like $250K per person. I bought these annuities a while ago and the payout will start next year.

What these annuities have done is allow us to be more aggressive with our investments. The annuities form a very small percentage of our portfolio.
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:37 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 6,200
Iím actually not opposed to an annuity-like offering within a 401k. This scheme seems COMPLICATED and itís not clear to me how it benefits the annuitant vs. taking a portion of the 401k balance and choosing from the universe of annuity options. I even like the target date fund as a tool to implement acquiring the annuity. In the example I think it suggests that 30% allocation is the annuity.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 30,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
For all you Mathematicians... these are 2 term deferred income annuities which I bought at the age of 53.5. I think the returns are pretty good but I don't have a calculator to get exact rate of return.

- $218K lump sum payment to buy 10-year term annuity. $2820 per month, 120 monthly payments to start at age 60. If I die before it starts paying, the premium is returned to beneficiary. If I die after payment starts, the remainder of the monthly payments will be made to beneficiaries to the full term/duration. Total amount of payout at end of 10 years is $338,400.
- 211K lump sum payment to buy 15-year term annuity. $3786 per month, 180 monthly payments to start at age 70. Similarly, if I die before it starts paying, the premium is returned to the beneficiary. If I die after payment starts, the remainder of the monthly payments will be made to beneficiaries to the full term/duration. Total amount of payout at end of 15 years is $681,480.


-
What companies issued these annuities?
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life only annuities GTM FIRE and Money 4 10-11-2004 01:44 PM
Immediate fixed income annuities Bill J. FIRE and Money 9 07-19-2004 02:50 AM
Annuities ? renferme FIRE and Money 21 12-23-2003 02:13 PM
Annuities-Variable? Fixed? Immediate jackalope FIRE and Money 6 10-01-2003 04:36 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.