What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Yesterday BD party for 7-year-old GD. Today going to get new truck insured, meet with Rural Electric Company to see if they can move a power line that runs down through a canyon at the ranch.
Also baking a sour dough bread now, to give to an old rancher friend and his wife that live a couple miles from my place.

I also will do work at the ranch, and I still need to do some planting.

Last edited:
We had a couples date night with some friends this weekend to celebrate one of the couples who FIRED in the last year and will be moving out of the area. They have a large camper and will be staying on one of their children properties in the south for a bit (the child and their spouse have several acres, and put in a place of them to hook up their camper), but plan to do a lot of camper traveling over the next 5 years before they settle down in that area (both are just turning 60). DW wore a delightful date outfit for me, and we enjoyed dinner and dancing before seeing them off. The newly FIREd couple will be back in our area probably once a year or so, as they have other children who live around here.

Anothah busy day. Wow!! First got insurance for new pickup then call in on a local radio station that you can trade, sell, give away etc.. I placed my pickup on there for sale and was gone in about 15 minutes. Guy said he would take it sight unseen and lives about an hour away. He came a little bit ago paid cash on the barrel head and left.
Also, in the late morning drove over to ranch the meet with the Rural Electric Company to move some line down a long twisting canyon. He said, he will get it done hopefully fall time. I was a happy camper if it happens.

Still on our dive trip to Bonaire so caught the 0800 boat to get in two dives this morning and back to the dock at noon. Made a bite of lunch, grabbed a couple of brews to kill time in the pool for a couple of hours. Had some friends over that are also staying at our resort (as always) for snacks and drinks on the patio. Broke up at 7:00 PM and made some dinner. Chatted a bit with my youngest son to wish him a happy 47th birthday and to find out why he was working on his birthday instead of relaxing with us. Tomorrow scheduled to be a repeat other than the harassing my son part.

Also, in the late morning drove over to ranch the meet with the Rural Electric Company to move some line down a long twisting canyon. He said, he will get it done hopefully fall time. I was a happy camper if it happens.

Good luck. I was thinking they would say no due to expense.

I crunched my little finger in a ladder, but not too bad. Somehow put a ding in my forearm that I did not notice until I took off the long sleeves. Ladder again? On the plus side made progress on my house projects.

So far this morning, I read this article in the NYT, reflecting on what I did for a living so many years ago. It makes me really appreciate my life since then. Inside a Navy Submarine Navigating the Arctic
Very interesting career. I look back at my career at time and also can't imagine being able to do that job now. I'm also very glad to be looking from the outside now.

Distributed out 4 yards of mulch yesterday. About 4 or maybe 6 yards to go. My utility trailer holds 2 yards, buy the mulch in bulk ($37.50/yd) at the place where the mulch is made; which is only about 6 miles from the house. It's a real full yard scoop, whereas most of the garden centers have a 2/3-3/4 yard size bucket they claim is a yard.

Got a new dehumidifier and ran the drain line in the crawl space and outside so I don't have to dump it every 8 hours... Dirty job but glad I did.

Prepped and painted about 2/3 of the front porch railing using a combination of a drill with wire brushes and a die grinder with roloc discs to roughen or remove the old paint. I'll do the rest of it tomorrow. It's a lot harder than it used to be for some reason, I took a two hour nap afterward.

Prepped and painted about 2/3 of the front porch railing using a combination of a drill with wire brushes and a die grinder with roloc discs to roughen or remove the old paint. I'll do the rest of it tomorrow. It's a lot harder than it used to be for some reason, I took a two hour nap afterward.

Naps are starting to sound interesting maybe. Patched 4 odd shaped holes in the shed. Tacked up a couple trim pieces I previously cut and primed. Along the way changed 2 blades on the sabre saw, and figured out the brad nailer gun was jammed, and how to fix that. Got a bunch of exercise moving the heavy azz ladder around. Again.

it’s been an emotional week. Mom (84) … she has Alzheimer’s … can no longer live independently so we moved her into assisted living. Doing our best to make it a smooth transition and support her and be with her all along this journey. But my eyes got a little watery when as I was leaving yesterday she asked like a little girl … Do I live here now?

Headed over to Moms new place later today for a visit.

it’s been an emotional week. Mom (84) … she has Alzheimer’s … can no longer live independently so we moved her into assisted living. Doing our best to make it a smooth transition and support her and be with her all along this journey. But my eyes got a little watery when as I was leaving yesterday she asked like a little girl … Do I live here now?

Headed over to Moms new place later today for a visit.
You are doing the right thing, it is difficult dealing with aging, ill parents. I've been there. Take care.

Today I plan to go get the flowers for the pots on our decks. Always wait until May for warmer weather. We can have April frosts and occasional snow.

Prepped and painted the last third of the front porch railing. Hopefully that'll hold for at least five years. Also mowed most of the "front forty" and when I was almost done decided to take a break and rest for a bit. Fifteen minutes later the mower would not restart. This is the one I put a new carburetor on a couple of months ago. So much for the Amazon $15 carburetor. Pulled the spark plug and it was black with soot, so its running way too rich.

So I decided I'm tired of fooling with the thing and (with DW's blessing since this is not a minor purchase) ordered a new Milwaukee battery/electric mower from Home Depot. It'll be here Saturday. They're a bit on the pricey side but I'm familiar with their products and I already have several other large batteries so I'll never have to stop in the middle and wait for recharging.

My back is killing me from the bending and such while painting, even with a strong pain killer, so DW says I should take tomorrow off. She's a cutie with a silver tongue so she talked me into it. No work for me tomorrow.

We finished up the groundworks for a 16 bay truck shop. 250 feet of trench drains and 450 feet of pipe to hook them up. I tried and failed for the second day to speak to the building inspector on the new home. He had emailed me and suggested a phone call to go over some questions. Perhaps we should just stick with the emails?
PXL_20240501_164300464.jpg

PXL_20240501_164306620.jpg

Planting bed cleanup. Primed sprinkling system, fired it up. One leak. Went to hardware store for parts. Fixed it. Used sprinkling system as source to pressure wash stone steps to lower level and deck. Got patio furniture out of garage, pressure washed and put it on deck. Cleaned garage. Went to town grocery store for beer and a steak. Ate, drank and went to bed.

State research center called a few weeks ago and asked If I would come in and mow and do a few projects through the summah. So, day I went in for a few hours than left and went fishing and turkey hunting. Didn't have any luck but was a beautiful day to be outdoors.

The new PC was delivered about 11:30 this morning, which in itself is unusual. Delivery of anything is usually late afternoon. Anyway, I've been playing with/setting up the new computer since then. I love the 34" display, especially after I figured out how to enlarge the print on documents/web sites!

That's a nice big screen.

I am trying to reroute a downspout off the front gutter. It was run at an angle next to a vertical pole holding up the patio roof, then went sideways next to the deck and into a pipe in the ground. Why they did not run it straight down then under the deck I have no idea, and that is my planned new route.

Problem is the downspout is round and nobody here carries round. So I have to take an hour or so drive to a store that does. Home Depot shows a 3" diameter, 10' long piece at over $80, what!? If I can't find a realistic price I'll just buy PVC. I only need like 2'. So I am pretty annoyed with the whole thing that should have only taken an hour or so.

Back
Top Bottom