Anyone else here forced to retire and scared to death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:

After many phone calls that were not returned to the corporate office of the big property management company that owns my apartment, I finally got a hold of someone. He kept saying over and over and over again, how I should work with the apartment manager. I was forced to say over and over and over and OVER again that I had no where with the property manager at my actual complex. Finally, after much discussion, I worked out an arrangement where I could live here for only three more months and then pay for the apartment for one more month month empty. They said they can't put it up for rent until it is empty. They have to clean it, and update the kitchen, etc.

Not a perfect arrangement, but now I get to keep my perfect credit rating and a good rental reference. Though better than waiting for the full eight months left on my lease.

So, now I have three months to prepare to move, to a smaller town with a low cost of living.

Last edited:
Use that 3 months wisely, drop 30 lbs and 5 years and life will feel much better to you. You can walk and stretch today, do it.

That is awesome--it would take me three months to get my plans made and in action. Keep us posted!

UPDATE:.................So, now I have three months to prepare to move, to a smaller town with a low cost of living.
Good for you! That will save you a bunch of money and give you a little time to prepare.

UPDATE:

After many phone calls that were not returned to the corporate office of the big property management company that owns my apartment, I finally got a hold of someone. He kept saying over and over and over again, how I should work with the apartment manager. I was forced to say over and over and over and OVER again that I had no where with the property manager at my actual complex. Finally, after much discussion, I worked out an arrangement where I could live here for only three more months and then pay for the apartment for one more month month empty. They said they can't put it up for rent until it is empty. They have to clean it, and update the kitchen, etc.

Not a perfect arrangement, but now I get to keep my perfect credit rating and a good rental reference. Though better than waiting for the full eight months left on my lease.

So, now I have three months to prepare to move, to a smaller town with a low cost of living.

Congratulations! I am very happy for you. It would have been very, very difficult for me to break a lease even in your circumstance, so I am glad that the management was willing to negotiate. Your persistence paid off. I would make sure and get this in writing (if you haven't already), so the local office understands the amendment to your current lease agreement.

That is fantastic that you were able to negotiate a change in your lease. Get it in writing!

Now--I have been a yo-yo with weight and fitness. We finally have amazing weather. No matter what else you do, get out and take a walk.

We have many overweight friends and family. I'm overweight now. I've lost weight several times, but it always creeps up to my genetic set point. Many people have been a bit insulting about your weight. Oh well. Ignore them. Too many here have a holier-than-though attitude. Yes, they are proud of themselves. But all you have to do is look at a family to know that weight and metabolism has a huge genetic component.

My dad who smoke and drank and never exercised, lived until 80. Yet a friend's husband died at age 42 of "athlete's heart". He was a runner and a tennis instructor. One of my mentors in residency died on his morning run as well.

There is a lot of great advise on frugal living here. The idea of a roommate is a good one. Our single, 61 year old Silicon Valley best friend has taken in a housemate. It works out very well for them. And there are cheap and healthy ways to eat. I like making bean and veggie soups for lunch. I make a bunch and freeze some of it in small pots. Then take the frozen soup out of the pot by catching it in my hand while running water over the pot upside down and seal in plastic bags. To reheat, just pop it in the original small pot. I doctor soup with dill, Louisiana hot sauce, or a spoonful of nonfat yogurt depending on my mood.

I sympathize with all who have struggled with weight, as I have. DS, DH eat way worse than I do and they are thin. And I get more exercise too.

So take a walk. Go a little farther than you think you can. Keep doing it regularly and there will be positive results. Mentally and physically.

Who knows? During your walks you might figure out a part time low stress job you can do that helps pay a few of the bills and get you out of the house a few days a week.

Good luck and keep posting. I've enjoyed your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forumle
Wm

Great News!

Celebrate the wins (that's important) -- but also try to maintain the momentum.

Retirement or a change can be really great once you have the right mindset about it. It is the mental transition that can be the tough part.

I use to have much fear about things prior to my ER. Luckily for me, this has dissipated since then.

My DW often mentions to be, when I am anxious about something, to remember the quote attributed to Mark Twain: "I have lived through some awful things in my life, a few of them have even actually happened".

YOU GO Forced!
:clap:
-gauss

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Good work on renegotiating the lease. You are off to a great start on your plan.

That is fantastic that you were able to negotiate a change in your lease. Get it in writing!

Now--I have been a yo-yo with weight and fitness. We finally have amazing weather. No matter what else you do, get out and take a walk.

We have many overweight friends and family. I'm overweight now. I've lost weight several times, but it always creeps up to my genetic set point. Many people have been a bit insulting about your weight. Oh well. Ignore them. Too many here have a holier-than-though attitude. Yes, they are proud of themselves. But all you have to do is look at a family to know that weight and metabolism has a huge genetic component.

My dad who smoke and drank and never exercised, lived until 80. Yet a friend's husband died at age 42 of "athlete's heart". He was a runner and a tennis instructor. One of my mentors in residency died on his morning run as well.

There is a lot of great advise on frugal living here. The idea of a roommate is a good one. Our single, 61 year old Silicon Valley best friend has taken in a housemate. It works out very well for them. And there are cheap and healthy ways to eat. I like making bean and veggie soups for lunch. I make a bunch and freeze some of it in small pots. Then take the frozen soup out of the pot by catching it in my hand while running water over the pot upside down and seal in plastic bags. To reheat, just pop it in the original small pot. I doctor soup with dill, Louisiana hot sauce, or a spoonful of nonfat yogurt depending on my mood.

I sympathize with all who have struggled with weight, as I have. DS, DH eat way worse than I do and they are thin. And I get more exercise too.

So take a walk. Go a little farther than you think you can. Keep doing it regularly and there will be positive results. Mentally and physically.

Who knows? During your walks you might figure out a part time low stress job you can do that helps pay a few of the bills and get you out of the house a few days a week.

Wm

I wasn't trying to scold. At 61 and looking 70, 300 lbs can be crippling and destroy any quality of life. I was just trying to steer him to a positive life change.

Sounds like very good progress but you should get it in writing. Even if you just email the person that you talked to with your understanding of what you agreed on and asked them to reply that they agree that is what you agreed on or print it, sign it and mail it to you. I would be wary of then reneging on what you agreed to.

That will give you sufficient time to find a new place and move. Good work.

Wm

I've been reading since the beginning and I don't think anybody has been insulting about his weight. Several people have suggested using this time to lose weight, but only after OP mentioned/complained (twice, I believe) about being overweight and feeling significantly older than he is. I took all talk about losing weight to be friendly suggestions, not rude at all.

UPDATE:
Persistence pays - well done! You just saved yourself probably $9000-10000 with those phone calls. If it took you 40 hours of work to do, you made $225/hr. Probably the best paying job you've ever had!

Congratulations!, Forced.......I concur on the idea of taking walks, but for the reason of clearing your mind to work on the next task(s).....it really does help to clarify things to have your body occupied while your mind is focusing on an issue.......if weight loss comes too..great....but as someone who struggles with weight loss as well I do know times of stress are not often the best time to focus on that

Congrats you have gotten over the first hurdle and it must feel good to hear"yes" after all those "nos".

Pat yourself on the back and think about where you would be happy to spend some time living.Don't stress about picking the perfect place. Cull down your possessions and think about living somewhere for a year so you can check things out.

Way to stick with it and get some relief!

So your persistence paid off! I'm so pleased for you. It's wonderful that you have been able to work out an agreement that respects the equities of both you and the apartment company. :dance::dance::dance:

UPDATE:

So good to hear your news! EastWest Gal offers some great advice. Getting some exercise and cleaning up your diet will do wonders for your mental state. I am a total mess when I slip up with either one.

You have a lot to do in 3 months and it will go fast. Keep us posted on your progress!

Nice to see a reasonably happy ending. Please take advantage of the next 3 months to fully plan and execute your departure.

Great news, Forced!!!!

I agree with the suggestion to take walks... One of the things that I've started since retiring is walking the dog on the beach every morning. It clears my head and centers me - and it has a side benefit of improving my health. I'm still overweight - but my shape has changed and I no longer get out of breathe if I have to run up and down the steps a bunch of times.

Great job on the apartment lease negotiation... Now the fun starts... downsizing, figuring out where to relocate and finding an appropriate rental, and finally the big move.

I personally hate moving - and find it easier if I break it down to daily goals. Promise yourself to pack one box... either for donation, sale, or your new home... each day. Don't wait till the last minute... And don't move stuff you don't need.... that's inefficient as it adds to the volume you have to move.

Congrats on the successful negotiation! Hopefully you can find a very affordable lifestyle and the freedom of retirement / or partial retirement will also result in health benefits. I'd worry about moving now and forget about dieting! Plenty of time for that later! Be cheap! Find a super low cost place to live!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom