Anyone else hoping for a market plunge?

RenoJay

Full time employment: Posting here.
Ok, this will be sacrilege to some, but I find myself daydreaming about a stock market plunge. The reason is that it's inevitable that it will occur at some point, there are a lot of indicators saying it should be relatively soon, and the sooner we get there, the sooner there will be buying opportunities and also the sooner we can start recovering from it and moving toward higher highs. As they say, "The waiting is the hardest part."

Anyone else share my daydream?

No, I stay fully investing according to my AA, so "buying opportunities" would be wasted on me. It doesn't help to jump in on a 15% drop if I've missed out on a 25% run up.

I did for a couple of years, but the relative leveling-off of the market recently has made me a bit more comfortable. In engineering lingo, an unstable system is one that over-reacts to stimuli. This market has been stimulated in unbelievable ways and remains stable. At some point we will take a hit, but we will ride it through just as we have for every other hit since 1987. So I am not hoping for a hit nor am I worrying about it. Just coasting.

Nooooo! Although I think it may within a year. No crystal ball. I just like where it is and I'm not in accumulation phase anymore. I have plenty to buy low just don't have the years to make up the losses from a market plunge.

But good luck to all of you still fighting the good fight and working toward RE. I already found my "Big Rock Candy Mountain".

Cheers!

Ok, this will be sacrilege to some, but I find myself daydreaming about a stock market plunge. The reason is that it's inevitable that it will occur at some point, there are a lot of indicators saying it should be relatively soon, and the sooner we get there, the sooner there will be buying opportunities and also the sooner we can start recovering from it and moving toward higher highs. As they say, "The waiting is the hardest part."

Moving toward higher highs? Like where we'd be anyway without a plunge?

Plunges are inevitable. Taking advantage of them is wise; I always look for bargains when that happens.

But I don't see the connection of 'moving toward higher highs' and a severe market drop however. I don't see a plunge as a causation.

If you're just talking about a correction, I tend to ignore them. IMO, '08 was a once in a lifetime buying opportunity and a once in a lifetime lesson in not panicking.

But one could argue that the only thing '08 did was delay prices to get to where they would've been eventually at some point in time; it didn't accelerate 'higher highs'.

Anyone else share my daydream?

People in retirement would more than likely not share this daydream vs. perhaps some working folks.

no please :nonono:

Major sequence of returns risk for me. Of course, there ultimately will be some type of drawdown in the future. When......nobody knows. My budget is setup to survive a 30% drawdown.

That being said. I am staying fully invested. I'm fully diversified. I went through 1987 and everything up till today

Last edited:
People in retirement would more than likely not share this daydream vs. perhaps some working folks.

Bingo! When I was w*rking, and accumulating, downturns meant I got more shares for my money.

On a side note, when I was working and nearing retirement (2015) I remember all the young folk cheering the recovery in stock prices. I reminded them that it was good for me, but they should be hoping for the market to stay down for a much longer time.

I’d never hope for a downturn, but I’ve planned for it whenever it happens. I’m a long term investor, not a market timer.

No, not sure why anyone would be HOPING for a plunge. It will happen and could last many years when it does.

For me not a good thing to hope for, there will be a bear market at sometime and I'm ready but many may not be.

Your time to invest when it heads south will come soon enough.

No, not sure why anyone would be HOPING for a plunge. It will happen and could last many years when it does.

For me not a good thing to hope for, there will be a bear market at sometime and I'm ready but many may not be.

Your time to invest when it heads south will come soon enough.

Anyone who is not with 2-3yrs of fire should be hoping for a plunge, time to buy cheaply and severely reduces your odds of sequence of returns risk.

The only thing a plunge will do for me would be to enable a greater percentage of my IRA to be converted to a Roth

Not looking/hoping for one, but am prepared if it happens. Will it be fun? Most likely not...especially how the mouth breathers that present the "news" will spin it.

Anyone who is not with 2-3yrs of fire should be hoping for a plunge, time to buy cheaply and severely reduces your odds of sequence of returns risk.

True, but something I wouldn't hope for because many could get hurt also.

There are ways of reducing return sequence risk without the need to take the cream off the top.

I'm not hoping for a plunge but I do feel some sort of significant market decline will occur sooner rather than later. How soon? Who knows?

DW and I have more cash on hand than we've ever had in the past. Most of that is due to our first step in rebalancing - trimming the items with major gains. The second step will be purchasing new/different holdings (or adding to existing holdings with declines) but we're waiting on that... thinking there are some buying opportunities in the not too distant future.

Having said all that, I did find a few opportunities recently to buy additional shares of several dividend paying stocks that we have in our current portfolio. Even with the market at all-time highs there are some downtrodden companies that are financially strong, have reasonable payout ratios, and very low P/E ratios.

Maybe if everyone is loaded for bear, that's a contrarian sign and we are due for another leg up.

Not hoping for a market plunge, but whatever it is, I will try to cope with it as I did in the past.

I would never hope for a plunge, the impact to people is too great. Small bumps and corrections create enough buying opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom