Anyone else want to join the "Lost over a million" club?

Never had a million, so can't possibly loose that much.
grin.gif

Never had a million, so can't possibly loose that much.
grin.gif

It is easy to lose a million without ever having a million. Buy 3 or 4 million dollar houses in Florida or California with no or little money down, wait for the bubble to burst and viola.

Of course the real pros and at losing more than the started with our favorite Uncle... Sam, they can lose a trillion without even trying hard.

Well, haven't lost a Million or all my $, but None the less.. Being One isn't what it's cracked upto be.. making 7% on it? Minus taxes , and then leaving 3% back in for inflation sure doesn't leave one with much..

Now know why others kept saying " working on my 2nd Million" before I can Retire..
I should have too..

still have the 1st million...yet...

The stock options are likely to hurt the worst over the long term since they probably will not recover within the term of the options. R

I'm gagging over that one too...... 29 months into RE, I'm (according to my plan :rolleyes:) supposed to be living nicely by exercising soon-to-expire options right now! But, since they're deeply under water, ain't gona happen! So...... major portfolio shuffle (in the midst of all this down market crap) so that I have adequate divs and int.

The fact that the options expire and you can't just wait it out is the real killer. :(

Mr. Market was quite neurotic in August of 2015 and has again shown his concern here at the start of 2016. It's not quite as bad as 2008 but it may be time to resurrect this thread.

My asset allocation is much more conservative now than in 2008 but it is certainly possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My portfolio was actually up in 2015, but based on my inputs, not growth. Over 15% improvement. I was able to keep up with the declines in 2015.... But not in 2016.

To lose $1M, you must have to have ~$10M to start, as the market is down ~10%. That is a bunch of money still left.

To lose $1M, you must have to have ~$10M to start, as the market is down ~10%. That is a bunch of money still left.

I'd be delighted to be in that situation. Any how, at my age, it wouldn't be the end of the world given how much time I have left on earth.

I've lost a million several times. Lost over 1 million in one day back in 2008. The key is that I have always made it all back plus more. This time will be no different I think.

This would be my first post but I had to chime in .....Isn't the market only down about 10% since the beginning of the year? So if you've lost a million don't you still have 9 million left?

Isn't the bigger question Did this market change your lifestyle and what are you doing or not doing about it? Not being well off enough to have lost a million Im using my dryer sheet 3 times

I'm also new to blogging so if my edict is not correct and I've stuck my nose where it doesn't belong please let me know and I'll go back to just stalking.

All I ask is, you be kind;-)

This thread was started way back in late 2008, when the market was on the way to lose more than 50%.

Last edited:
Thanks OOPS I'll go back to stalking

No - join in!!!! Consider posting in the "Hi I am" subforum with an intro.

We're nice... Honest!

Did I lose over a million?

To illustrate, here's a crude graph of my monthly portfolio values in dollars from my retirement in 2009 until now. That BIG plunge in 2015 was due to buying my dream house in cash, and the recovery soon after was due to selling my prior home.

Compared with that, the recent drop is small potatoes. :) Overall, it still looks pretty good and the past 6+ years have prepared me pretty well for whatever may happen.

And NO, the answer is that I am NOT a member of the "Lost over a million club" or anywhere near. :LOL: I am content with what I have, but it's not enough for a little blip like that to represent a million dollars.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 59
It is not a $1M loss that one minds so much. It's the $1M loss daily, day in day out, that adds up to real money after a while.

No, I am not talking about myself, :) but I am sure there are a lot of people out there that the above applies to. And they do not have to be in the same league as Buffett and Bill Gates either, and only have to be a centimillionaire.

Most IV lost in a dip is 400k

I have lost more than that, and more than once, but never a $1M, thank goodness.

Last edited:
If I had $10,000,000 I wouldn't take much risk. Some 10 year Treasuries for me.

Technically, yes I have lost over 1m, but not in the stock market. However, I don't want to join the club since I can't afford the membership dues. :LOL:

Last edited:
Well, according to Quicken in reference to my portfolio, I've lost 5.5% since my particular peak in March of 2015 to now. So, to loose $1 million I would have to have started with a little over $18 million back then. I'm very sorry to report that I do not qualify...

I can't imagine what it's like to have enough money to lose over $1M but I suspect that losing 10% or 50% of your wealth is about the same at any level. Sure, someone with that level of wealth may not be worried about where the next meal is coming from, but I imagine that they've geared their life to having the level of income that that level of wealth generates and when you get hit with a large market drop, I suspect it affects your life significantly.

One does not need $10M to lose $1M. He can have just $1M, but put in all on Global Crossing or Nortel in 2000, then lost it all.

Or he could put it all on a company like Peabody Energy or Chesapeake Energy. He would have lost 99% in the case of the 1st, or 90% in the case of the 2nd company.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom