Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2020, 07:34 AM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
The IRS "Where's my refund" site also isn't updated/working like it should be. My daughter who received her check yesterday never had her status show correctly on that site.
Does the status show no information? I sent a paper return certified, so I know it was received on Feb. 26. My biggest concern has been that the "Where's my refund" site continues to show no information. If it would show some kind of processing status, I wouldn't really care about the wait. I'm more worried that it's been lost somehow.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Does the status show no information? I sent a paper return certified, so I know it was received on Feb. 26. My biggest concern has been that the "Where's my refund" site continues to show no information. If it would show some kind of processing status, I wouldn't really care about the wait. I'm more worried that it's been lost somehow.
I mailed my paper return Feb 25. The "Where's my refund" site did not show any info at all, until maybe 9-10 days before I received my direct deposit July 24th. Mine was mailed to Kansas City, so other sites may be opening slower or faster.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it's safe to say the "Where's my refund" site isn't working like we all expect to, our experience being a perfect example. Like others have mentioned I think a lot of the delays are based on which IRS address it was sent to. I think our California (Fresno) office probably had the longest closure because of Covid-19 so it doesn't surprise me.

It's funny, each IRS office has a different address depending on your if your tax return has a payment due or has a refund. I sent my check/tax return with payment due on the same day as my daughters taxes and my check was cashed within days. So far a 5 month difference.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Refund coming
Old 07-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #164
Dryer sheet wannabe

Refund coming

Paper filed my 93 y/o DM's (living in TN) taxes on March 6, 2020. On July 8th website stated forms received and being reviewed. Today, July 27th website says refund should direct deposit between July 29th and Aug 3rd.

Refund amount is about $17 more then the refund I calculated. Must be getting some interest on the money.
TN Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #165

Well, still didn't get my refund, but this morning when I was away from home and was checking my email on my phone, I checked the USPS email for Informed Delivery and it showed there would be a letter from the IRS waiting for me when I got home. And it wasn't the kind of envelope you get from the IRS with a check inside.

So I thought, this can't be good. I got home, and found the letter to be asking to verify my identity before they would send a refund. I logged onto the IRS website and could go no further after they couldn't verify my cell phone number with my carrier.

I called the number on the form, was told hold time was going to be 30 minutes. Turned out to be about 90 minutes. I was asked to verify several pieces of information, and some numbers from my 2018 and 2019 tax returns. They then successfully verified my identity. I was then told my return would now go to the back of the line again for processing and not to expect a refund for at least another 9 weeks!

At this rate, our scientists will have vaccine approved and deployed for Covid before the IRS gets around to mailing my refund for a return that was sent in the last week in February.

I suspect that the fact that my mailing address changed between the time I mailed the return and now, was the reason for the request for ID verification, but the IRS clerk would not go into any detail as to why this ID verification was triggered or needed.

What a system!
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

You win the award for the worse IRS story of this thread!
Finally seeing progress
Old 08-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally seeing progress

I checked today and our refund has finally been processed and approved, (which was submitted mid March)... 4.5 months to process. Hoping to see it in our account the end of next week...

sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Our return was accepted by IRS mid-April. When I checked for 'where's my refund' all it would say is that it was received. Then a couple days ago it said 'refund to be issued on July 31'. On July 31 (Friday) it said that the refund was issued. Today, August 1 (Saturday), one day later, it was in our rural mail. That was quick once it was issued. And yes, there was a little bit of interest added to the refund amount. Glad that's over.
Momcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:51 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

My other daughter also received her's today, finally complete. Maybe it's only here in California but federal tax refunds always arrive in the mail on a Saturday. Why is that? For as long as I can remember IRS checks only arrive on Saturday. Do they only mail them on Thursdays or something. Strange.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:02 AM   #170
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch130 View Post
CPA electronically filed in late March. Fed refund $16K.

Website kept saying "processing" until recently, when it said "Your return has been amended and you refund has been changed to $0. A letter confirming this will be mailed June 15."

No letter has yet arrived and the CPA said she can't do anything without the letter. FWIW, she said she reviewed the return and found no reason for any change. I'm in for a long hold on the help line, I guess.

So frustrating!

Any update?
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Update on my post from July 16 when I said I mailed in my paper return on March 6 and IRS website finally showed "Return Received". It took close to another 3 weeks before the site showed "Refund Approved" and yesterday it showed "Refund Sent". Looks like I'm getting $163 in interest.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #172
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisno1 View Post
E file accepted April 4 th. No refund yet and still says received and processing on IRS site. No luck getting a IRS rep on the phone
Update: I got a rep on the phone Friday. Said it was being worked on and could take up to 8 weeks. This weekend Where's my refund page says refund approved and payment expected 8/5!! My uninformed guess on the delay is my e file was kicked out because I started a consultancy business and my refund was larger than it has been in the past and probably needed someone to look at it.... which happened after my call with the agent.

Found these instructions on how to reach an IRS rep for those that are interested:

Here are the steps you need to take to reach a real person on the phone at the IRS.

Before you call, make sure you have all of the information that you need.
 - Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about.
 - An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
 - Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
 - Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
 - A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
 - Any letters or notices we sent you
The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.
tennisno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:06 AM   #173
Recycles dryer sheets

IRS refund of $6203 received by Direct Deposit last night, plus $82.22 of interest. Wahoo!

Mailed return on March 8th to Fresno, California office.

Just checked the IRS Where's My Refund site. It finally acknowledges existence of my return. It says my refund will be sent to my bank account tomorrow. So updated, but still a little behind.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #174

Update - Finally got my refund yesterday with a little over $21 interest added.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #175
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still waiting on my refund. Filed electronically on 02/27.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #176
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just checked again yesterday... no change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 I e-filed for DS on May 19 and his return was accepted. The email from TurboTax says "Once your refund is issued – typically in 3 weeks or less – it will be on its way to being all yours via your preferred delivery method." and what they say there is typical with my past experience.

A couple weeks ago I did the "Where's my refund?" and it didn't even have record of the return. A couple days ago I did a "Where's my refund?" and they now say "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available."

Last year he e-filed on March 23 and received his refund on March 29.

Definitely a huge decline in service.... no real difference in his return between last year and this year... mostly W-2 income, IRA deduction, standard deduction and the retirement saver's tax credit.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #177
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The IRS finally looked at my return filed on paper in mid-March. They sent me a letter requesting an additional document. I will probably have to wait an additional 6-8 weeks now.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #178

I mailed in my Fed return at the end of March, and today I finally received the direct deposited refund.

I was not eligible for stimulus check from 2018 tax status, but should be eligible from 2019 status. Now that I just received 2019 refund, I wonder if IRS will recalculate my tax status and send me the stimulus check.

If I don't get that, I guess I will need to reconcile that when I file tax in 2021.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #179
Administrator

I e-filed and got my refund deposited into my checking account end of April.

Today I just received another $3.17. (Labeled as 310- TAX REF). This is a new one to me, no idea why.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
I was not eligible for stimulus check from 2018 tax status, but should be eligible from 2019 status. Now that I just received 2019 refund, I wonder if IRS will recalculate my tax status and send me the stimulus check.

If I don't get that, I guess I will need to reconcile that when I file tax in 2021.
Found this today on IRS site...disturbing because I was NOT eligible in 2018, was eligible in 2019 and will NOT be in 2020. So they seem to plan to DENY me for 2019 even though my return is held up by them.

A22. No. If the IRS has determined that a taxpayer was not eligible for a payment based on the taxpayer’s 2018 tax return, and then the taxpayer files a 2019 tax return that shows eligibility, the IRS will not issue a payment in 2020 based on the 2019 tax return. These taxpayers can claim amounts based on their 2020 tax returns in 2021 if they remain eligible for 2020.