Anyone else with delayed tax refunds?

Just checked again yesterday... no change. :mad:

+1 I e-filed for DS on May 19 and his return was accepted. The email from TurboTax says "Once your refund is issued – typically in 3 weeks or less – it will be on its way to being all yours via your preferred delivery method." and what they say there is typical with my past experience.

A couple weeks ago I did the "Where's my refund?" and it didn't even have record of the return. A couple days ago I did a "Where's my refund?" and they now say "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available."

Last year he e-filed on March 23 and received his refund on March 29.

Definitely a huge decline in service.... no real difference in his return between last year and this year... mostly W-2 income, IRA deduction, standard deduction and the retirement saver's tax credit.

Last edited:
I mailed in my Fed return at the end of March, and today I finally received the direct deposited refund.

I was not eligible for stimulus check from 2018 tax status, but should be eligible from 2019 status. Now that I just received 2019 refund, I wonder if IRS will recalculate my tax status and send me the stimulus check.

If I don't get that, I guess I will need to reconcile that when I file tax in 2021.

I e-filed and got my refund deposited into my checking account end of April.

Today I just received another $3.17. (Labeled as 310- TAX REF). This is a new one to me, no idea why.

I was not eligible for stimulus check from 2018 tax status, but should be eligible from 2019 status. Now that I just received 2019 refund, I wonder if IRS will recalculate my tax status and send me the stimulus check.

If I don't get that, I guess I will need to reconcile that when I file tax in 2021.

Found this today on IRS site...disturbing because I was NOT eligible in 2018, was eligible in 2019 and will NOT be in 2020. So they seem to plan to DENY me for 2019 even though my return is held up by them.

A22. No. If the IRS has determined that a taxpayer was not eligible for a payment based on the taxpayer’s 2018 tax return, and then the taxpayer files a 2019 tax return that shows eligibility, the IRS will not issue a payment in 2020 based on the 2019 tax return. These taxpayers can claim amounts based on their 2020 tax returns in 2021 if they remain eligible for 2020.

I e-filed and got my refund deposited into my checking account end of April.

Today I just received another $3.17. (Labeled as 310- TAX REF). This is a new one to me, no idea why.

I think it was in June that they decided they would pay interest starting on April 16, so they are going back and issuing additional checks to everyone who got a refund between April 15 and that decision.

Found this today on IRS site...disturbing because I was NOT eligible in 2018, was eligible in 2019 and will NOT be in 2020. So they seem to plan to DENY me for 2019 even though my return is held up by them.

A22. No. If the IRS has determined that a taxpayer was not eligible for a payment based on the taxpayer’s 2018 tax return, and then the taxpayer files a 2019 tax return that shows eligibility, the IRS will not issue a payment in 2020 based on the 2019 tax return. These taxpayers can claim amounts based on their 2020 tax returns in 2021 if they remain eligible for 2020.

Thanks for the information.

Mine is a little different from you, since we retired on January, 2019. I will still be eligible for 2020 tax. So for sure, I will reconcile on 2021 tax return.

I think it was in June that they decided they would pay interest starting on April 16, so they are going back and issuing additional checks to everyone who got a refund between April 15 and that decision.

Excellent, thanks for that.

<sigh> Just got an IRS letter explaining why they are still processing my return (e-filed early April).

They want a copy of my 1095A & Form 8962. The 1095A will show them that $0.00 *Zero* was advanced to me in 2019 and therefore no 8962 was required.

Wonder how long it'll take for them to release my refund now. At least I'm earning a little bit of interest as they figure out the paperwork.

Maybe this is because I did have advances in 2017 & 2018?

Falling off the cliff both of those years (thanks Capital Gains) made me *not* take an advance in 2019. I went over that cliff in 2019 by less than $2000 :-( Glad I wasn't paying it all back for a 3rd year in a row.

Last edited:
Let's see: I filed on paper in March. Hearing nothing, i filed electronically July 10. And just today I got the large refund I was expecting, plus interest.
Also received a letter from IRS yesterday informing me there is no need to file both on paper AND electronically (thanks for that).

That will teach me to overpay!

Let's see: I filed on paper in March. Hearing nothing, i filed electronically July 10. And just today I got the large refund I was expecting, plus interest.
Also received a letter from IRS yesterday informing me there is no need to file both on paper AND electronically (thanks for that).

That will teach me to overpay!

NEVER, EVER double file, your lucky you didn't receive 2 different refund checks which would have been a pain to deal with.

NEVER, EVER double file, your lucky you didn't receive 2 different refund checks which would have been a pain to deal with.

Well, when I was a tax person I would not have recommended it in most cases, but 2020 is not most cases. I certainly knew the risk, and it worked out.

Filed electronically on 14 September and received refund on 23 September via direct deposit to my US account. I was surprised at the speed of the processing and refund process (9 days).

-BB

We mailed our son's taxes in April. Earlier this week, the automated irs site finally acknowledged receipt of the return and a check is scheduled to be mailed on next week.

We filed via paper on July 12. I was not able to file sooner. Just checked this AM and IRS has finally received. I am not able to file electronically because of a zero dollar W-2 from mega corp relating to health coverage, very frustrating. Anyone else have this issue ?

FINALLY got my 2019 tax refund and a small interest payment.

Almost 7 months after e-filing (early April).

9 weeks after replying to request for ACA details Sent the 1095-A showing ZERO tax credit received - don't they get the 1095A directly, shouldn't they have known this?

Happy to have the $$ since property taxes are due next week.

Wow... there may be some hope that DS will get his refund sometime soon. Meanwhile, a friend that filed by paper will probably be waitinga while for is refund.

Finally received my refund today after filing on 02/27. There was a ~$3 difference which I am not sure why, as it would not calculate to the difference in interest that they owe me, which I assume is credited in a separate posting.
As an aside, I am 99% sure that the holdup was due to the IRS only looking at one 1095A form for Healthcare, when they should have calculated the subsidy based on 2 forms which I sent them as a follow up.
However they won't admit it of course.

FINALLY got my 2019 tax refund and a small interest payment.

Almost 7 months after e-filing (early April).

9 weeks after replying to request for ACA details Sent the 1095-A showing ZERO tax credit received - don't they get the 1095A directly, shouldn't they have known this?

Happy to have the $$ since property taxes are due next week.

Still waiting since 2/1 for large ACA refund with a 1095 showing ZERO credits.

I've been dealing with a taxpayer advocate at the IRS. She told me that the IRS auto-triggers a detailed examination of any return with Zero credits claimed. She said next time it might be better to paper-file and include 1095 form PLUS "proof" that you paid all the ACA premiums that you are claiming. I finally sent all that over and they now expect to clear my refund by Mid-December, yikes!
Lucky our bi-annual property taxes are due 1/1/2021 so just in time.

For those of you who received a delayed refund, was the interest payment owed by the IRS received the same day as the principal refund or as a separate payment in a future date?
I have not received my interest payment yet after the refund was held up for 8.5 months.

For those of you who received a delayed refund, was the interest payment owed by the IRS received the same day as the principal refund or as a separate payment in a future date?
I have not received my interest payment yet after the refund was held up for 8.5 months.

Mine was received with refund in one check.

I spoke to a young man at healthcare.gov about the zero issue last week. He suggested that there is a way to avoid it. His suggestion is to put in an income that would qualify you for a subsidy when you apply for coverage and then refuse any advance payment of the subsidy. Evidently letting healthcare.gov think that you might qualify for a subsidy will get you an accurate form for your taxes.

As an aside we are also waiting for a large ACA refund, but our problem is identity theft as the IRS approved our refund and paid it to a scammer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom