Anyone try Amazon.com Grocery?

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just noticed it today. Anyone try it? It would seem to make some sense to have staple items delivered (if their prices are as good as Costco). Looks like you can even set up a schedule.

DW does most of the shopping. W/O getting out the receipts I wouldn't know if the prices are good.

I don't think I can link directly - go to

http://www.amazon.com/

and you will see 'grocery' on the left sidebar a ways down.

-ERD50

I attempted to buy some stuff from them. They kept revising and pushing out the ship dates. Seemed like anything with a decent price never shipped. The one item I got from them had a very near expiration date vs stuff I found on the shelf at the store that was a lot further out.

Maybe they worked out the kinks by now.

I just cruised the products and it seems to have a lot of the trendy types of stuff. On the plain vanilla products I use as a scratch cook, I found they are running 20 to 25% above local retail and I usually snag the sales. This stuff is not only out of my price range but the quantities are way off. I will not use 12 bottles of mustard relish in years!!! With the volume of items carried it would take forever to select a grocery order and be too costly. It would be ok IF you wanted to pick up some gourmet items to make food gift baskets. Other than that, I am calling this a big flop.

My DW once used an online grocery. She ordered horseradish and they delivered a root thingy. We were glad they didn't have any horses there :LOL:

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
I also priced some items and overpriced...
Pop-Tarts, the standard by which everything is measure against ;)
run $1.96, local food lion will have $2.00/box on occasional sales,
I haven't check Walmart recently, but usually are about equal to
Food Lion's sale price. So with free shipping, they would be a
bit cheaper, not having to sit in line would be a plus. netgrocer.com
is $2.39/box, so they beat the online competition by a long shot.
But their prices on Campbells soups way out of line.

I think I would first buy well known, non-perishable items first. They have
some stuff that's hard to find, I'll probably try them out at some point. Go to
Walmart first, note the prices, then go to Amazon.
TJ

I've had good luck with them. Really all my experiences with Amazon have been good.

Can be decent savings if there's a good coupon or two at fatwallet.com
Though Amazon seems to make it harder now to use two coupons on one order.

We ordered Kashi breakfast cereal in bulk when the service first started. It all arrived on time and it was more economical than going to the supermarket.

However, it was difficult trying to find somewhere to store 16 boxes of breakfast cereal in a 1 bedroom apt.

The beef jerky at our local SuperTarget stores is cheaper. Amazon is charging $24 for 6 pack of 3.6 oz beef jerky while you can by a 4-oz beef jerky package for $3.

pfpelican said:
My DW once used an online grocery. She ordered horseradish and they delivered a root thingy. We were glad they didn't have any horses there :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Wow...real horseradish root is hard to come by.

But it is easy to grow (at least around here - you dig it up after a heavy frost) - and boy can you make some incredible fresh horseradish sauce with it! It is tough to ever have the stuff from a jar after having fresh homemade.

-ERD50

Buying Grocerys on Amazon makes me hesitate for some reason.

ERD50 said:
But it is easy to grow (at least around here - you dig it up after a heavy frost) - and boy can you make some incredible fresh horseradish sauce with it! It is tough to ever have the stuff from a jar after having fresh homemade.

-ERD50

I used to grow it here, too, but it was starting to be a hassle. But what you say is true......once you've had fresh homemade, it's hard to stomach the store bought stuff! Same with salsa and pico de gallo.....they're ALWAYS better fresh made!

I got a $10 off coupon and ordered some toothpaste and listerine. They arrived in a big box with no packing material - the toothpaste was all crushed by the listerine.

OTOH, I've ordered lots of movies and cds from Amazon and have had no trouble.

DangerMouse said:
However, it was difficult trying to find somewhere to store 16 boxes of breakfast cereal in a 1 bedroom apt.

16 boxes, some glue...voila...a table and a bookshelf!

Back
Top Bottom