Anyone watching the Barrett Jackson auction??

heirloom

Recycles dryer sheets
The original batmobile went for 4.2 million big ones!!
Just think, the owner doesn't have to pay CG taxes either.
Sports cars are another good investment. Corvettes and Porches are bringing in good money this yr.

Typo on my error...4.2 million.

I never knew you paid CG's. When we were younger we would buy wrecked vettes, fix them and resell them. Never claimed them.

28% is a big chunk out of the profit, but then too the profit was huge.

Sports cars are another good investment. Corvettes and Porches are bringing in good money this yr.

I would be careful. There are fluctuations in the sports car and antique car market just like the stock market or housing market.

Cheers!

I watch this auction every chance, It is great fun to remember the cars I loved, but never had the money purchase.I have always lived below my means, however.

Couple of years ago, the values were down, off 30% some more than the stronger current prices.
You only need two bidders who really want to buy, to drive the price.

Last edited:
We went to the auction Friday and watched it on tv sat night to see the batmobile sale. It was fun, and it was good that nothing there pushed me into another mid-life crisis. Luckily I don't have a carbuying bug anymore.

The original batmobile went for 4.2 million big ones!!
Just think, the owner doesn't have to pay CG taxes either.

I think I've watched 15+ hours of Barrett Jackson so far this week. To me that was an awful lot of money for the Batmobile, but who knows, he may turn around and sell it for 5 or 6 million within a year. Regarding sport cars as investments, I'm on my 4th Corvette now and I've never made any money on any of them. Although they are great fun to drive and do seem to have good trade in value "if you keep them well maintained" and in near perfect condition. Maybe if I kept them in storage for 40 years or so they'd increase in value. Oops, forgot about what 40 years of inflation would do to the real value.

Last edited:
Couple of years ago, the values were down, off 30% some more than the stronger current prices

I remember that!! I would keep looking at my husband and say "I told you that you should have sold yours while they were hot." But here they are again selling high, except the last one. I think a lot of the high bidders left.

I don't know how many younger people yhere are here, but I don't think vettes are as big as they once were.
[/QUOTE]

I remember that!! I would keep looking at my husband and say "I told you that you should have sold yours while they were hot." But here they are again selling high, except the last one. I think a lot of the high bidders left.

I don't know how many younger people yhere are here, but I don't think vettes are as big as they once were.
[/QUOTE]

QUOTE][/QUOTE]

LUCKY YOU!!

I heard you have to pay now even if you only use the standing room...is this true?

Yes - We paid 40 ea for senior discount general admission tickets. We sat in the grandstands (no reserved seating) for awhile in the auction area, but spent most of the time walking around looking at tents full of cars, vendors, etc.

I think access to the floor of the bidders area, with ability to bid, runs around $200 a ticket

Just 28%? Bruce Wayne looks like he is subject to the Medicare surtax.

According to the Corvette Museum folks, the first C7 was auctioned..

The first 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray auctioned for $1.1 Million at Barrett-Jackson

NASCAR legend, Corvette collector and friend to the National Corvette Museum, Rick Hendrick, is adding yet another prize to his famous collection of Corvettes, the #0001 C7 Corvette Stingray. GM is donating all of the money from the auction to the College for Creative Studies automotive design program.

2014 C7 Corvette Stingray Sells For $1.1 Million At Barrett-Jackson 2013 - YouTube

I've never had any interest in owning a classic car, but I have to admit they do grab you when you're next to one.

We have a guy around here who owns probably at least $20M worth of mostly one-of-a-kind classics. I got to walk through his garage once; it must be at least half the size of a football field. Just amazing, but the thing that most impressed me is that he keeps them all in street-legal condition and drives them all at least once a year!

I've been watching the BJ auction for maybe 9 or 10 years now, a co worker told me about it as I'd seldom watch Speed.

It's impossible to watch all 39 or 40 hours they broadcast so I record it. This is the 1st year I have a DVR, what a blessing vs a VCR! Friday and Saturday would have required 2 tapes each day and you need to watch it before the next show or you need more tapes.

I have 3 forward speeds so I use the middle speed to go through the stuff I don't care about and all the ads. Any car that has the word custom in it (unless it's a Ford Custom for example) is skipped, I also skip most all Vettes. This year there seemed to be far less Vettes than the past few years. Over the past 3 years it seemed like every other car (or 3-4 in a row!) on Friday and Saturday was a Vette.

I like the unusual cars and the original cars. I especially like cars from the 30's. This year there were a lot of cars from the teens and 20's and that was great. I think the selection of cars this year was better than the past 4-5 years.

I was at BJ with Ms G a few years ago and there was a fully restored split-window VW Bus. It was really nice, so I am having a fantasy about redoing a 1974 cross country trip in it for only $15k. And than I woke up, or should I say Ms G woke me up.

I was at BJ with Ms G a few years ago and there was a fully restored split-window VW Bus. It was really nice, so I am having a fantasy about redoing a 1974 cross country trip in it for only $15k. And than I woke up, or should I say Ms G woke me up.

There were 2 or 3 there this year also. One was decorated with scooby-do colors and characters

Last edited:
I went to the Barrett Jackson auction Saturday night. The energy level during the sale of the Batmobile was amazing. It was definitely a fun experience. My kids favorite was the Scooby Do VW Van. There were also a ton of vendors there. It's like a big fair. I was able to take pictures of about 100 beautiful cars.
1967 VOLKSWAGEN 21 WINDOW Lot 963 | Barrett-Jackson Auction Company

Nice, but I would redo in peace symbols, and flowers.

Edd_Rock-smiley-peace.jpg

Thanks for Posting This Thread!

I love to watch BJ and for awhile now I have dreamed of attending the auction. I never realized the Russo Steele auction was happening nearby at the same time...now I am even more interested in attending. I think the prices are reasonable right now.....not particularly high or low. It's not hard to find good deals, but I would never view it as an investment. The vehicles offered earlier in the week are more attractive to me....less expensive cars that I would enjoy and actually drive on the road without fear of being damaged.
I remember during the housing and dot com booms the cars were selling for crazy prices. People were paying top dollar for cars just because they were old with no particular significance.

Back
Top Bottom