Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I finally made my first purchase on the Apple Card. It was a subscription to an app that I use daily and went through the App Store (or iTunes? Who knows?).

Itís a bit more confusing if you donít have a recent device (like a iPhone) to work with. But using my new iPad could handle it and I was able to set up autopay from my credit union.

I believe this purchase is eligible for the 3% reward but the process is still a little murky to me.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Apple Card
Old 11-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #122

Apple Card

Well, now Iím really feeling like hot tuna. I made my first transaction with Apple Pay (tap). It was in a nearly empty Dunkiní Donuts staffed by two too-cute-for-words high-school aged kids. I could tell theyíd be all over it if I said Iíd never done it, could they help?

The guy almost fell over himself running around the counter to show me his phone and tell me where the payment would come from (Apple Card). The girl just smiled and said, ďmagic!Ē.

They got a tip, I got a donut.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
With me they used TransUnion.
DH had to set up a TransUnion account to unfreeze. I guess these credit bureaus are blowing off PINs they assigned us to years ago. Annoying. But he got his credit unfrozen.

Interesting - the Apple Card is only single user - no additional credit cards for other family members or whomever yet. No problem, I'll just use his card too!!!
Old 01-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Well, this card ended up being a big bust for us. We each got one thinking it would be handy.

The opportunities to use the discounts are way too limited because online use of Apple Pay is too limited and things like paying recurring charges like T-Mobile monthly bills and iTunes Store purchases canít be done via Apple Pay, they use a saved credit card number instead.

And when we tried to take advantage of the Apple Store 6% ApplePay discount in December, we were blocked from using Apple Pay because we were applying a gift card to part of the purchase - how dumb is that? At least we were able to use the Apple military discount. we ended up using a different card with a better reward.

And then itís impossible to pay the card balance without linking a bank account. Every other credit card I can pay through bill pay if I choose. I guess one could try billpay using the card number.

So someday we may use it for an Apple purchase although it will be a while, because we have another gift card from a trade in.

For general ApplePay discount of 2% - well we have other cards that match or exceed that, and they are much easier to deal with in terms of billing and downloading transactions.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The opportunities to use the discounts are way too limited because online use of Apple Pay is too limited and things like paying recurring charges like T-Mobile monthly bills and iTunes Store purchases canít be done via Apple Pay, they use a saved credit card number instead.
I get 3% cash back using it to pay my T-Mobile monthly bill.

I have also used Apple Pay almost exclusively on my last few European trips. Everyone seems to take it. So I think you may be too harsh in evaluating it.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I get 3% cash back using it to pay my T-Mobile monthly bill.

I have also used Apple Pay almost exclusively on my last few European trips. Everyone seems to take it. So I think you may be too harsh in evaluating it.
We used ApplePay plenty in Europe, just with credit cards offering better rewards. 3% off Apple purchases is where we would want to use it.

OK - I was not convinced we would get that 3% cash back unless we used ApplePay with T-mobile.

Itís very confusing - because in the December 6% off AppleStore deal, they made it clear online that the discount was available if you did ApplePay with the AppleCard for your purchase. It did not say youíd still get it the discount if you used the card like a regular credit card online.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:49 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OK - I was not convinced we would get that 3% cash back unless we used ApplePay with T-mobile.
Well, I stand corrected. Just looked back and saw that I only got 1% on my monthly T-Mobile bill. That kind of sucks since I was convinced like you that it meant any purchase from them.

Reviewing recent purchases on the Apple Card, I see that most of them are 1%. Got 6% on an Apple Store purchase, and 3% on others, but 2% only on in-person purchases, nothing online.

Thanks for making me look.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #128

I thought the magic combination is Apple Pay + Apple Card = 2%.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Yes, but that means in person. Using Apple Pay via your phone. It only gives you 1% when you use the Apple Card for an online purchase.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I stand corrected. Just looked back and saw that I only got 1% on my monthly T-Mobile bill. That kind of sucks since I was convinced like you that it meant any purchase from them.

Reviewing recent purchases on the Apple Card, I see that most of them are 1%. Got 6% on an Apple Store purchase, and 3% on others, but 2% only on in-person purchases, nothing online.

Thanks for making me look.
That's what I was expecting from my research - that I would only get 1% on my T-mobile bill, so I left it on a card that pays more. Thanks much for double checking.

I'm not sure about the iTunes store. I might get paid 3% there even without ApplePay. I tend to load up my iTunes store account credit with heavily discounted iTunes gift cards when I can, so not too many opportunities, and since I wouldn't technically be using ApplePay, I was not confident. But they did accidentally charge one of our AppleCards for a renewal, and $10.83 with 0.32 cash back - that looks like 3%.

We always use the Costco VISA for hotel and restaurant as we get 3% including overseas where we use it heavily with ApplePay. For US I have other cards paying 2% or more depending on the category. And I usually get 3% for online purchases using a Bank of America credit card.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, but that means in person. Using Apple Pay via your phone. It only gives you 1% when you use the Apple Card for an online purchase.
We did have an opportunity to use the Apple Card with ApplePay online at the Apple Store, but because we wanted to use a considerable accumulation of Apple gift cards (from sending in older products), we were barred from using ApplePay online at the Apple Store. Super frustrating.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #132

Apple Card

Quote:

Right. Itís taken me a while to get used to all these things Apple Payment-related. It was incomprehensible until I actually got the hardware (in my case, iPhone 8) to try and see.

There was a recent thread about cash backs that got my attention. Iíve now got Quicken categories to track cash back rewards for my cards (Discover, AmEx, Apple/MasterCard). Iím paying more attention to which card I use now. Itíll be mildly interesting to check after a year!

Old 01-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #133

We looked at the Apple Card but how often are we going to buy Apple products and get the 3% discount?

And the discount only applies if you buy the products from Apple. When I was looking at an iMac a few months ago it was $1799 at Apple and $1399 at Costco. So who cares about the 3% at that point?

Fidelity gives us 2% cash back on everything without having to think about it. We also use the Amazon card strictly for Amazon and Whole Food purchases to get an extra 5%.
Ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
We were specifically interested in the Apple Store +ApplePay with Apple Card = 3% (or 6%) in December.

And hoping maybe for a 3% reward on our T-mobile monthly bill.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
We looked at the Apple Card but how often are we going to buy Apple products and get the 3% discount?

And the discount only applies if you buy the products from Apple. When I was looking at an iMac a few months ago it was $1799 at Apple and $1399 at Costco. So who cares about the 3% at that point?

Fidelity gives us 2% cash back on everything without having to think about it. We also use the Amazon card strictly for Amazon and Whole Food purchases to get an extra 5%.
Right - we buy a lot of Apple products through BHphotovideo.com, and they often have sales, and now they have their own PayBoo credit card that rebates the 8.25% sales tax, so we use that. It's tough to beat.

But still, we occasionally buy directly from Apple, like we did with a recent iPhone8 purchase.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #136

I make the occasional Apple Store purchase and the 6% over the holidays was great, but other than that, I never use the card. Not only can you get better rewards elsewhere, I canít download transactions into Moneydance, which would be a major inconvenience if I used it more often.

As it is, I figure itís a good backup card if Iím traveling internationally and can use Apple Pay. Otherwise Iíll stick with Fidelity or Chase.

And thanks for the tmobile clarification. Iíve been meaning to look into that and youíve saved me the effort.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:39 PM   #137

I applied for and got it just for the cool metal card.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I canít download transactions into Moneydance, which would be a major inconvenience if I used it more often.

Not familiar with Moneydance, but Apple Card users can now export monthly transactions to a downloadable spreadsheet to use with personal budgeting apps or sheets.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/21/ap...a-spreadsheet/

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
fancy free is offline   Reply With Quote
Apple Card
Old 02-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #139

Apple Card

I finally got around to claiming the ďcash backĒ balance from using Apple Card with Apple Pay this week. I wasnít sure where (or if) it would be transferred but things were set up right and it landed in my credit union checking (share draft) account.

Iím hoping my cash back amounts will be better in 2020 than 2019 because Iíve begun to pay more attention to which cards are used, where and how.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:42 AM   #140

According to this usually reliable website, Apple Pay can now be used to pay your monthly T-Mobile bill and get a 3% rebate when using the Apple Card.

I haven't tried it yet, but this would be a nice enhancement. I currently pay my T-Mobile bill with a FIDO card, getting 2%, but 3% is better, and every dollar helps!