Apple Card

I only had it declined twice. Both times were because the store didn't take MasterCard. I have four cards loaded in my Apple Pay: The Apple Card (MC), another MC, a Visa, and an Amex. So it's trivial to switch to a different one in the Wallet app and use that.

Agreed, but I want that extra nickel that comes with 2% back vs. 1.5% back. :D

Anyway, I called AppleCard support and got put on hold (listening to the worst music) until I finally got cut off. Oh well, that extra nickel isn't worth any more of my time.

Agreed, but I want that extra nickel that comes with 2% back vs. 1.5% back. :D

I think you might be confusing Apple Pay and the Apple Card.

Apple Pay is simply using your phone or watch to touch the terminal and make a payment with some credit card. There is no inherent cash back.

The Apple Card, whether or not it's used through Apple Pay, gives you the 2% cash back (3% for Apple stuff).

Apple Pay is simply using your phone or watch to touch the terminal and make a payment with some credit card. There is no inherent cash back.

The Apple Card, whether or not it's used through Apple Pay, gives you the 2% cash back (3% for Apple stuff).

Close. The Apple Card only pays 1% back when it's used as a physical credit card.

3% when used to buy Apple products (and a few others like T-Mobile, Uber, this will vary over time).

2% when use the Apple Card and ALSO use Apple Pay - i.e. pay with your phone or watch.

1% all other usage.

Is it 2% on any type of transaction except for a physical card? Thinking about auto payment on things like utilities, where a credit card is accepted. Or, what if it’s my default card on Amazon. Do I get 2% on those types of transactions?

What I meant was that I'd like to get the 2% back by using the apple card on my watch, vs. getting 1.5% back using my Capital One card on my watch (or via the physical card).

Is it 2% on any type of transaction except for a physical card? Thinking about auto payment on things like utilities, where a credit card is accepted. Or, what if it’s my default card on Amazon. Do I get 2% on those types of transactions?

2% is only when using Apple Pay, which is accepted by some (but not all) online retailers. If you use the apple card online as a credit card, it's 1%.

I don't intend to ever use my apple card for less than 2% back, meaning I only use it for Apple purchases (including iTunes, iCloud, etc.) at 3%, or with apple pay as discussed above.

Another way to get discounted Apple gear is to buy at Target using their Target RedCard credit card. Using that card at Target discounts purchases by 5%, which beats the 3% available at Apple on the Apple Card.

Well, I succumbed to the marketing genius that is Apple and got my card today. The only real benefit I could come up with is that my current backup card takes a slot in my wallet and with the new card, I can get rid of that card and thin my wallet out by one card. It is also better because the rewards on the old card were GM points which I don’t see using again. Certainly not as valuable as when I was using the card regularly and leasing cars every two years. With the Apple Card, I’ll have a backup card that I will probably use from time to time because the rewards are the same as my Fidelity card and potentially a bit better if I buy something directly from Apple. Plus, I got a really cool looking card on its way in the mail. Got to hand it to their marketing and brand image people. I talked myself right into this one.

I had my Apple Card declined at another merchant yesterday (Virginia ABC store) for no good reason that I could see. I verified they take MasterCard and I was able to use another card in my watch to make the purchase. This is getting annoying.

3% cash back at T-Mobile

I know many here use T-Mobile as their mobile phone provider like I do, especially those who can take advantage of the 55 Plus plan. I just found out that paying with the Apple Card gets you the 3% cash back just like buying something from Apple.

I switched my T-Mobile autopay to the Apple Card for a quick and easy extra two bucks a month.

I know many here use T-Mobile as their mobile phone provider like I do, especially those who can take advantage of the 55 Plus plan. I just found out that paying with the Apple Card gets you the 3% cash back just like buying something from Apple.

I switched my T-Mobile autopay to the Apple Card for a quick and easy extra two bucks a month.

Is this a temporary discount category?

No, it's now a regular thing.
Apple Card now offers three percent cash back when using the card for purchases from Uber, Uber Eats, T-Mobile, Walgreens, and Duane Reade, with plans to expand the three percent cash back offering to additional merchants in the future.

No - I used my app today!

I showed my ID on the app at the door. They scanned my Costco ID on the phone at the register. And I never had to take out any credit card!

I'm using a Costco cash card at the moment, but when I use that up I'll start using Apple Pay on my watch.

I do something similar just using the iPhone camera since I don’t like adding store specific apps. I just take pictures of the front and back of my drivers license and membership cards and store them in a folder on my phone ( AARP, AAA, Farm Bureau, wholesale club etc). I don’t have to carry the physical cards to get discounts. The scanners read the bar /QR code in the photo and then I use Apple Pay from my wallet. I think there’s a way to load membership cards in wallet but I haven’t figured that out.

It would seem that the Apple Card will be popular. I certainly like it.

From the launch of the card in August to September 30, Goldman Sachs extended credit lines totaling approximately $10 billion to Apple customers.

Apple has been steadily adding new benefits to Apple Card since its launch to continue to draw new users.
Apple announced an upcoming option that will let Apple Card customers purchase a new iPhone and then pay it over 24 months with no interest. It's the same setup as Apple's current device payment plans, but more conveniently integrated into the Apple Card for Apple Card users.

I finally made my first purchase on the Apple Card. It was a subscription to an app that I use daily and went through the App Store (or iTunes? Who knows?).

It’s a bit more confusing if you don’t have a recent device (like a iPhone) to work with. But using my new iPad could handle it and I was able to set up autopay from my credit union.

I believe this purchase is eligible for the 3% reward but the process is still a little murky to me.

Well, now I’m really feeling like hot tuna. I made my first transaction with Apple Pay (tap). It was in a nearly empty Dunkin’ Donuts staffed by two too-cute-for-words high-school aged kids. I could tell they’d be all over it if I said I’d never done it, could they help?

The guy almost fell over himself running around the counter to show me his phone and tell me where the payment would come from (Apple Card). The girl just smiled and said, “magic!”.

They got a tip, I got a donut. [emoji4]

With me they used TransUnion.

DH had to set up a TransUnion account to unfreeze. I guess these credit bureaus are blowing off PINs they assigned us to years ago. Annoying. But he got his credit unfrozen.

Interesting - the Apple Card is only single user - no additional credit cards for other family members or whomever yet. No problem, I'll just use his card too!!!

Well, this card ended up being a big bust for us. We each got one thinking it would be handy.

The opportunities to use the discounts are way too limited because online use of Apple Pay is too limited and things like paying recurring charges like T-Mobile monthly bills and iTunes Store purchases can’t be done via Apple Pay, they use a saved credit card number instead.

And when we tried to take advantage of the Apple Store 6% ApplePay discount in December, we were blocked from using Apple Pay because we were applying a gift card to part of the purchase - how dumb is that? At least we were able to use the Apple military discount. we ended up using a different card with a better reward.

And then it’s impossible to pay the card balance without linking a bank account. Every other credit card I can pay through bill pay if I choose. I guess one could try billpay using the card number.

So someday we may use it for an Apple purchase although it will be a while, because we have another gift card from a trade in.

For general ApplePay discount of 2% - well we have other cards that match or exceed that, and they are much easier to deal with in terms of billing and downloading transactions.

The opportunities to use the discounts are way too limited because online use of Apple Pay is too limited and things like paying recurring charges like T-Mobile monthly bills and iTunes Store purchases can’t be done via Apple Pay, they use a saved credit card number instead.

I get 3% cash back using it to pay my T-Mobile monthly bill.

I have also used Apple Pay almost exclusively on my last few European trips. Everyone seems to take it. So I think you may be too harsh in evaluating it.

Back
Top Bottom