Are you up or down since Dec 2007

Sigh....

returns are down about 29%.

Due to retirement contributions made in the interim, however, our amount in our retirement accounts right now is about 5% less than it was 10/1/2007.

Down 14.6%, generally all equities but started with a significant cash allocation.

Down 5% but that also includes contributions thru July 2008 (which promptly went down the 'tube'.

Like others, our net worth is up due to continued savings. But as best I can tell, our investments at the time of the market peak in 2007 are still down about 8-9%. I'm very happy to be back in single digit loss territory.

Down 16%, but up 628% since 8/1999! :LOL:

Trying to take the long term view......Damn, that's only 6.28% per year.....:(

Since 12/31/2007:

Portfolio Return: -4.5% (XIRR)
Portfolio Value: +33%

How is this possible? I would have guessed both would have had to have the same sign. Pls unconfuse me.
edit: perhaps you're including new contributions in value?

How is this possible? I would have guessed both would have had to have the same sign. Pls unconfuse me.
edit: perhaps you're including new contributions in value?

Yes, new contributions are included in value (as they are in the XIRR calculations).

Ignoring withdrawals I'm down 9%. Including withdrawals I'm down 16%. Not as bad as it was by a short while ago.:whistle:

Down 16%, but up 628% since 8/1999! :LOL:

Trying to take the long term view......Damn, that's only 6.28% per year.....:(

Pardon, but is it not 20.17% per year, compounded over 10 years?

For 1.2017^10 = 1.2017*1.2017*...*1.2017 = 6.28.

PS. If I could sextuple my portfolio from 1999 to now, I would have been able to afford one of those houses on the eastern shore of Bainbridge Island with the view of the Space Needle and the skyline of Seattle. :(

[-]Last I looked (Friday 8/21) I was down 17.5% from the October 2007 peak. I'm too lazy to calculate the drop from Dec 2007, but it should be just slightly less.[/-]
Oh all right! I ran it in Quicken! Down approx 14% since 12/31/07

I haven't made any new contributions - I am retired.

Audrey

Up 5.6% with contributions, down 10% without contributions.

Sorry,

I had to figure it out myself. If I didn't count the income from securities, I would be down 30%, with income added about 22% down. I might add all the loss is from money I gave advisor. My attempt at picking stocks is just down 1% as of today, but unfortunately large portion was put with advisor.

I'm down 20%. I'd be down a lot less if we hadn't withdrawn a big chunk of our portfolio to live the last 20 months...but I suppose that's one of the very few downsides of being retired. :)

I am only checking the static account (only part of my diversified portfolio) where no money is contributed or withdrawn from, and that is 15% down. Considering DOW was in the excess of 12000 points then while it is hovering around 9500 points now, I would think most people are still under water unless they have tons in bonds. I know someone who moved all his money in October of 2007 to a stable value fund. I'm sure his number are much better than mine.

In the early part of 2008, at the age of 59-1/2, I decided to take Suze Orman's advice and not be in the stock market if I needed my money within the next 10 years. I pulled it all out of my company's 401-K and rolled it over into a CD based IRA. I'm up a steady 5% and avoided the worst of the drop since the market was over 12,000 when I got out.

You need to write a book.;) Congrats! Actually I'm up a similar amount. I forgot to add in an inheritance account. But that would be cheating as far as what we are talking about here.

Already? Gee! If that was from your aunt's estate, it arrived with amazing speed and a tip of the hat to the executor.

For a similar reason I can't really compare with December, 2007. I added the last of my inheritance on July 14, 2008, and with no withdrawals of anything, even dividends, my taxable account has recovered completely to the same level. However my TSP is considerably larger, as is my bank account, so overall my assets are still growing. But then, I am in the accumulation phase so it that is what is supposed to be happening.

Last edited:
I'm down 20%. I'd be down a lot less if we hadn't withdrawn a big chunk of our portfolio to live the last 20 months

Is it safe to assume that the MH was purchased before this downturn? :)

...but I suppose that's one of the very few downsides of being retired. :)

Same as with a poison, if it does not kill us it will leave us stronger.
Oops, speak too soon and might offend the market god. :hide:

I also bought my 2nd home in late 2005. :blush:

Well, if not spent, the market would just take it back. That's my story and I am sticking with it. :D

SPEND, SPEND, SPEND... This economy needs lots of stimuli. The more you spend, the more you'll have... :angel:

Back
Top Bottom