Article on Taylor Larimore

Good article, wise man. 98 years old!
thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting the article. I knew that he was older, but no idea that he was 98 years young.

Very inspiring.

Those of us who frequent the boggleheads forum have no doubt heard of Taylor Larimore - one of the founders of that group.

I had no idea that he is 98 years old!!
l

He is almost as old as Bob Barker the former host of Truth or Consequences. Mr. Barker is 99.

In a way, I guess both men were in the truth or consequences business. :D

I'm impressed with anyone who fought in the Battle of the Bulge. His life since then has also been exemplary. Here's hoping for many more years.

Hey, I'm just hoping and praying I can write a cogent sentence at the keyboard when I'm 80. At 98, Taylor is writing great stuff, still has a good handle on finances.

It has me missing our friend Bob, aka "imoldernu". He always had amazing posts, and he was older than us! Miss you, imoldernu.

Mr. Larimore said this in the article. I've always wondered about the meaning of "lose 25% of your portfolio and I'll explain below.

"I asked Larimore the single most important piece of advice he had for seniors and he said, “Keep what you’ve got.” These means don’t take unnecessary risks. If you lose 25 percent of your portfolio, you’ll need to earn about 33 percent just to get back even."

We're long-term hold investors. Still have the index funds from 2014 and are earning 7.2% over that time period. Many on this forum track YTD performance, but that seems meaningless unless you sell. So we've not lost principal and are experiencing gains. That said, we've lost considerably (principal) in the bond fund market going back 8 years. I sold those in April and laddered CDs and TN.

Mr. Larimore said this in the article. I've always wondered about the meaning of "lose 25% of your portfolio and I'll explain below.

"I asked Larimore the single most important piece of advice he had for seniors and he said, “Keep what you’ve got.” These means don’t take unnecessary risks. If you lose 25 percent of your portfolio, you’ll need to earn about 33 percent just to get back even."

We're long-term hold investors. Still have the index funds from 2014 and are earning 7.2% over that time period. Many on this forum track YTD performance, but that seems meaningless unless you sell. So we've not lost principal and are experiencing gains. That said, we've lost considerably (principal) in the bond fund market going back 8 years. I sold those in April and laddered CDs and TN.

He's 98. I always figured when he speaks this way, he is not talking to the under 70 crowd.

Hey, I'm just hoping and praying I can write a cogent sentence at the keyboard when I'm 80. At 98, Taylor is writing great stuff, still has a good handle on finances.

It has me missing our friend Bob, aka "imoldernu". He always had amazing posts, and he was older than us! Miss you, imoldernu.

Yeah, I too think of him often. A great philosopher and he did FIRE HIS way!

Those here who don't know what we're talking about should go back and read some (many) of his old posts. A compilation of his stuff would make a good primer for surviving and thriving in old(er) age.

Back
Top Bottom