Asset class winners and losers so far this year

Interesting reading - thanks.

I have a generous slab of I-bonds as a "volatility parachute", although at -19% ytd it doesn't feel like it is slowing my descent too much :p

I don't understand. How can a gov't I-Bond be down? I'm holding a ton of individual I-bonds..They all have a fixed rate..Even with zero inflation I would expect them to add the interest..

I think he means he's -19% overall. ibonds dont decrease in value. TIPS will decrease in value if the CPI is negative, but IIRC ibonds dont.

I think he means he's -19% overall. ibonds dont decrease in value. TIPS will decrease in value if the CPI is negative, but IIRC ibonds dont.

Exactly right. Overall down by -19%. Cash (including I-Bonds) is now 13% of portfolio as the other asset classes have lost value.

Here are updated YTD returns through 10/24. Oh, how we long for death's sweet embrace!

Large cap: -38%
Mid cap: -46%
Small cap: -40%
Value: -38%
Growth: -39%
Pssst...Wellesley: -16%

Developed international: -48%
Emerging international: -61%
International bonds (BEGBX): -10%

High yield bonds: -22%
Real estate: -41%
Precious metals and mining: -63%
Market neutral: -6%
Commodities (DJP or PCRDX): -32%
Pure-play gold (GLD): -13%
Pure-play oil (USO): -30%

Prime money market fund: +2%
Intermediate term treasuries: +5%
TIPS: -6%
Total bond market: -1%

And some of the other asset classes that were suggested:
I-bonds: +4%
Prepay mortgage: +6%
GNMA: +3%

One thing about Philip Greenspun (and mind you, I'm a fan of his), he has the most remarkably gauche habit of "casually" rubbing everyone's noses in his wealth and materialistic snobbery. He can barely start a paragraph without some variant of "After a recent flight in my brand-new $2.5M personal jet, which I paid an extra $500,000 to jump the line for, I happened upon a commoner..."

I'm jesting to a degree, since Philip is self-aware on this point (?), but it is a bit annoying.

Even worster - Saint's are in the cellar so staying home to watch tv is painful between football and Mr Market.

Rumor has it - the Pat's have a good football team.

heh heh heh - hormonally speaking I'm trying to fight off the urge to buy stocks and spend my mad money on retirement. ;).

American Century Target Maturities Trust: 2015, BTFTX

Year to 9/30/08: 4.96%; 12 Month to 9/30/08: 10.43%

I bought a lump sum of it 6/13/90--it was my first attempt to balance out of 100% equities, my average annual return to 9/30/08: 10.13%

Sold my junk bonds and international stock funds last year to set up buckets for retirement, moved them into CDs and a Ginnie Mae fund.

Of course, my stocks funds are doing the same as everyone else’s: Still own a large cap. and an SP 500.

Hope you’re right, CFB, that we are looking at five years.

I forgot to add: the beatings will continue until investor morale improves.

I got tired of updating all those negative numbers, each more negative than the last time I looked at them. Here's the summary: YTD performance for all Vanguard funds averaged across the fund types as they've defined them:

Money Market - Taxable +2.2%
Money Market - Tax-Exempt +2.0%
Bond - Tax-Exempt -2.2%
Bond - Taxable -2.4%
Balanced -32.4%
Stock - General -41.6%
Stock - Aggressive -48.5%
Stock - Sector -50.2%
International -52.9%

I got tired of updating all those negative numbers, each more negative than the last time I looked at them. Here's the summary: YTD performance for all Vanguard funds averaged across the fund types as they've defined them:

Money Market - Taxable +2.2%
Money Market - Tax-Exempt +2.0%
Bond - Tax-Exempt -2.2%
Bond - Taxable -2.4%
Balanced -32.4%
Stock - General -41.6%
Stock - Aggressive -48.5%
Stock - Sector -50.2%
International -52.9%
Practically all are losers when inflation is factored in.

Practically all are losers when inflation is factored in.

Very true, but some are beating others by over 50%. Everything is relative ;)

Because of that our I-Bonds are now over 10% of our stash :( I wish I'd started collecting them much earlier to catch those higher fixed interest portions.

Back
Top Bottom