Average gas price $6.20/gal by end of Summer

I've been looking at gas buddy for my upcoming road trip and saw the prices range that much in just around a single city and then did some digging at my local area and saw gas ranging from $3.71-$4.39 across my own city right now...don't even have to drive across country. I guess the pays to shop around is very true for gas these days

Yes. The 1st and last stop I was able to choose lower cost stations but when you are on the road the station with the best amenities wins since the prices are pretty much equal and you pay the interstate exit premium. Glad I’m not buying premium or diesel.

Paid $4.15 at Sams, down from a high of $5.00 a few weeks ago. I'm struggling to think that is good - last year, I paid $2.30.:(

Still dropping here, down to $4.079/gal from a peak of $4.599/gal. Still no bargain but going the right direction and we’re able to use fuel points to get $0.60/gal off for most purchases. :D

Down to $3.799/gal here from a peak of $4.599/gal so maybe we've already seen the peak?

And we have a $0.90/gal fuel points discount on up to 35 gallons on Aug 1 - sweet!

You guys are really killing my buzz. How can I be happy if the world isn't coming to an end?

Wow, noticed $3.33 today! HEB way south Texas.
Do you still have an ICE vehicle to take advantage of "these give away" prices, :LOL: or are you 100% EV now.

I've never seen the price of gas decline so steadily over such a long period of time. It's only a couple of cents a day, but it's nearly every single day. Made me revisit the first post of this now-happily-mistitled thread, and it was a J.P. Morgan analyst who made this statement. I'm still afraid to jinx the trend by asking "what happened?"

Our gas dropped 10 cents last week it's still $4.85 and thirty miles south it's a dollar cheaper. They can get it in a remote place and lots of tourists.

At the rate things are going, gasoline will be almost free soon, say $0.20 per gallon (I remember those prices!), then the justification for owning electric cars goes away. :LOL:

At the rate things are going, gasoline will be almost free soon, say $0.20 per gallon (I remember those prices!), then the justification for owning electric cars goes away. :LOL:

If that happens, I would look for $4 Fed gas tax. YMMV

If that happens, I would look for $4 Fed gas tax. YMMV
I've long thought that gasoline taxes should be used to reduce price swings, being higher when gas is cheap, and lower when it's expensive. It would mitigate the cycle of filling the roads with gigantic SUVs and pickups when prices are cheap.

I've never voluntarily driven anything larger than a minivan, and dread the idea of buying anything larger, but am starting to think it is a reasonable self-defense action where I live.

I've long thought that gasoline taxes should be used to reduce price swings, being higher when gas is cheap, and lower when it's expensive. It would mitigate the cycle of filling the roads with gigantic SUVs and pickups when prices are cheap.

I've never voluntarily driven anything larger than a minivan, and dread the idea of buying anything larger, but am starting to think it is a reasonable self-defense action where I live.

Drive a Prius - but mount a M60 .30 cal machine gun on it.

The high prices delivered some demand destruction. But oil is still around $100 a barrel so these declines have largely run their course until oil declines further.

Do you still have an ICE vehicle to take advantage of "these give away" prices, :LOL: or are you 100% EV now.

No, only the one vehicle. We own nothing that uses gasoline.

Can’t escape the gas price signs that are everywhere though.

Last edited:
On 7/11:

I looked on Gasbuddy, and saw that Costco had gas for $4.89, while other gas stations were at $5.25. Told my wife it was time to refuel, as our car was down to 1/8 tank.

Not even a month, and Costco gas is down to $3.92 as reported on gasbuddy. Sam's Club is also $3.92. Other gas stations are $4.29-4.73.

My gas tank is still above 3/4.

I wonder if supply has increased or demand has been destroyed, or both.

I have said if Tesla can really make its Cybertruck for $40K, I would buy one. It's good to have a big battery to add to the one in my DIY home solar system, which is a measly 34 kWh so far.

And once a week, I can disconnect it to go make grocery runs.

What's better than a big lithium battery? A self-propelled battery. Same as a self-propelled howitzer being better than one that has to be towed.

Howitzer:

soldiers-operate-m777-howitzer.jpg

Self-propelled Howitzer:

USGPAO-Approved-011-22-GMP-IMG_0461-scaled.jpg

Big Battery:

Tesla-Powerwall-Installed.jpg

Self-propelled Big Battery:

2022-tesla-cyber-truck-mmp-1-1579127142.jpg

Last edited:
Supply hasnt increased, especially in PADD1

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-31 195900.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-31 195900.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 42
^^^ Thanks.

Supply is obviously below normal. And motorists are not as willing to pay the price they did just a few weeks ago hence the price has dropped, which is to say demand has weakened. Yet, the traditional summer driving season does not end until September.

From a Web site:

U.S. gasoline demand remains below where it was this time two years ago as historically high prices keep more drivers off the road than COVID-19 did in the summer of 2020.

Gasoline demand lower this year than in 2020, when COVID was raging? I did not expect this.

Back
Top Bottom