Gas prices are going up fast

Here in red rock country, we've had some of the lowest prices in Arizona in our little village - $4.29 for the longest time now. The Chevron here was as high $4.69 but has recently dropped by 40 cents to compete with the Speedway and Circle K.

Here in metro Atlanta, we're in the $3.75 ballpark, a bit off our highs of around $4.29 (IIRC). I noticed, though, that premium gas (93 octane) is $4.39 at my local Citgo! Boggles my mind to see that huge "premium" for premium. I remember—back in the good old days :)—when premium was only 15 cents more than regular. That was in the early 2000s, when regular gas was typically around $1.25-$1.50/gal.

We were up to $3.99, but have dropped down. Gas today at Woodman's in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin was $3.45.

Boise seems to have peaked around $4.53 a couple of weeks ago, but we haven't dropped as much as other places since then. Last I saw it was about $4.48.

I did sign up for GetUpside the other day. After stacking a bunch of signup codes, I got almost $13 back on a ~$58 fill up. If y'all want to sign up, you could use my referral code of ROBERT293338 and you'll get 15 cents on your first fill up.

Here in metro Atlanta, we're in the $3.75 ballpark, a bit off our highs of around $4.29 (IIRC). I noticed, though, that premium gas (93 octane) is $4.39 at my local Citgo! Boggles my mind to see that huge "premium" for premium. I remember—back in the good old days :)—when premium was only 15 cents more than regular. That was in the early 2000s, when regular gas was typically around $1.25-$1.50/gal.

Actually, on a percentage basis, those "premiums" for premium don't sound too bad. Back when I got my first car, regular (leaded) was $.30 and premium (Ethyl) was $.33 which is about 10% higher. When I got my Vette ca 1970, I would occasionally go to Sunoco which had the "blending" pump. For $.40 I could purchase their Sunoco 260. I'd ease the timing up a few degrees and take "her" out to the two lane black top I knew in farm country. It was already laid out with a quarter mile.

Since I was making just over $4/hour at the time, $.40 seemed like a lot. Oh for those (nominal) prices today. Sigh!

Our state has voted to reinstate the gas tax effective Friday 4/15. I will be sure to top off our tanks before them. This week I filled up at Costco for $3.51/gal, and the nearest gas station to us is $3.76/gal. I am betting that come Friday the non-Costco gas will be back above $4.00/gal.

Filled up one car today at Costco, the gas price has inched up since last week to $3.55/gal. The nearby Sheetz is $3.59/gal.

Boise seems to have peaked around $4.53 a couple of weeks ago, but we haven't dropped as much as other places since then. Last I saw it was about $4.48.

I did sign up for GetUpside the other day. After stacking a bunch of signup codes, I got almost $13 back on a ~$58 fill up. If y'all want to sign up, you could use my referral code of ROBERT293338 and you'll get 15 cents on your first fill up.

What's the catch with GetUpside? I assume they track gas customer and sell the information and then can rebate a little of it back to the customer.

What's the catch with GetUpside? I assume they track gas customer and sell the information and then can rebate a little of it back to the customer.

Well, there's a bit of hassle getting set up.

I think it's just like Rakuten but for gas, or payment for order flow, or grocery store coupons. The participating retailers in all cases are willing to pay for the potential to grow sales.

I also think that some of the payments are GetUpside's marketing dollars. They want/need a lot of customers so they're paying to acquire them now. I would not expect such good rebates over the longer term.

FINALLY, gas at Costco dropped to $4.60.

Most gas in town is $5.15 or higher. Last fill up at Costco was $4.85. Maybe we're actually about to start slowly going down in price Island wide. YMMV

My local town three gas stations got into a little of a gas war. Price got all the way down to $3.90/gal before two of them gave up.

FINALLY, gas at Costco dropped to $4.60.

Most gas in town is $5.15 or higher. Last fill up at Costco was $4.85. Maybe we're actually about to start slowly going down in price Island wide. YMMV

Our CostCo is at $3.46 a gal. today.

Definitely on the decline. Whatever spike we had was super temporary. I think I filled up 2x where it was higher than $3.50 a gallon. A very temporary pain for our household with minimal if hardly any impact.

When I lived on Maui in 2014 never once did I fill up for less than $4/gal at Kahalui Costco.

Gas prices here are about the same in nominal dollars as they were in October 2008, August 2012, and August 2013.

We are down to 4.49 where I am at an "ordinary" (non-Costco) gas station.

Finally filled up with gas on Friday. First time in over a month, but we headed south to camp in the desert this past weekend. Gas at our local Loaf and Jug was $3.99/gal, but with our Kroger fuel points left over from March, we ended up paying $3.09/gal.

Ended up paying $4.59/gal in Utah filling up before heading home. Thankfully we averaged over 30mpg cruising on county roads with minimal time on the interstate where, at 75-80mph we're often struggling to maintain 20-25mpg. Still have over a quarter tank left and another 900 fuel points ($0.90/gal off) for the next fill up.

^^^^^^

Who would have thought we'd be excited about $3.09 gas? I was happy with $4.60 last time - what's wrong with this picture?

Back
Top Bottom