Average gas price $6.20/gal by end of Summer

I'm trying to remember back to 2020. I recall deserted streets/roads but I think it was just for a couple or three months. Traffic returned so it wasn't a wipe-out in 2020. But I do find it difficult to believe 2022 is less than 2020.

I took a short ~400 mile trip through parts of East Texas and NW Louisiana yesterday and I saw regular for as low as $3.29. The more interesting thing (to me anyway) was the spread between regular and premium at only ~20 cents a gallon. A month ago I was seeing that spread at about $1.

One thing I'll always remember from 2020 was the color and clarity of the sky.

If it wasn't just autos, then airplanes, trains and electric production pollute a lot more than I imagined.

Took a while for prices to start to come down in northern Wyoming, but regular is now under $4.30. I think a few places went above $5 in June.

I'm guessing the real drop will happen after Labor Day, once most recreational (and out-of-state'er) driving starts to crater.

Just paid $3.85 in NH @ a Mobil station! A new recent low but some of the tourist areas are holding on to the 4.80-4.95 range.

Just filled up my truck with regular for $3.29... With my 10% discount that makes it $2.96.... :dance:

Never thought I'd be happy paying ~$3 a gallon.

Last edited:
One thing I'll always remember from 2020 was the color and clarity of the sky.

If it wasn't just autos, then airplanes, trains and electric production pollute a lot more than I imagined.

Interesting. I saw no difference. YMMV

I suspect that while driving patterns changed during Covid, the amount of driving didn’t take as big a hit as many saw.
I noted slightly less traffic, but I almost never drove during rush hour(s).
Rush hour traffic was probably slashed dramatically.

Charlotte rush hour was basically back to normal a few months ago, but fell off the last few months. The big drop in gas prices by $1/gal has not yet drove back traffic to peak again. I’m fact I had a record time to the office Monday morning. Will be interesting to see how this gas pans out longer term but definitely seems like $6.2 isn’t in the cards in the short term, which is a win for most people. Sometimes when the banks make these calls I think is a good time to bet the opposite!

Well, gasoline here in suburban NJ finally dipped decisively below $4/gallon (Costco's been there already) and continued to fall. I filled up on Thursday, and it was another 4 cents lower on Friday. If it continues to fall at this rate, it'll be back to pre-Ukraine levels by the end of September. It will really look as though this was an invasion-induced spike.

Charlotte rush hour was basically back to normal a few months ago, but fell off the last few months. The big drop in gas prices by $1/gal has not yet drove back traffic to peak again. I’m fact I had a record time to the office Monday morning. Will be interesting to see how this gas pans out longer term but definitely seems like $6.2 isn’t in the cards in the short term, which is a win for most people. Sometimes when the banks make these calls I think is a good time to bet the opposite!
+1. Gas is down 90 cents/gal from its peak where I am, so it sure appears $6.20 won’t happen this go round. :)

Gas is $3.15 a gallon in NW Ga. this week, of course the governor suspended the gas tax earlier this summer, which helps. With a BP VISA card, knock off another fifteen cents so basically I'm paying $3/gal.

Gas is $3.15 a gallon in NW Ga. this week, of course the governor suspended the gas tax earlier this summer, which helps. With a BP VISA card, knock off another fifteen cents so basically I'm paying $3/gal.

For some reason, I always associate lower gas prices with Georgia. Traveling to FL, I always have filled up in GA. Nice to hear prices nudging down toward the $2++ range.

Still in the mid $4 range here in Washington. But, we do have the 3rd highest gas tax in the country. It will be the highest next year when the new state wide carbon tax kicks in. Lucky us.

Last edited:
Mid $3's (RUG) in south Texas except diesel is over a dollar more. Expect food prices and other truck delivered goods to stay high as the cost of fuel for the trucks is still up there.

And given that the U.S. exports so much diesel fuel and we are about to swing refineries into making more winter stocks, diesel won't come down.

Mid $3's (RUG) in south Texas except diesel is over a dollar more. Expect food prices and other truck delivered goods to stay high as the cost of fuel for the trucks is still up there.

And given that the U.S. exports so much diesel fuel and we are about to swing refineries into making more winter stocks, diesel won't come down.
Pretty much everything is delivered by truck at some point. Either long haul and/or the last few miles. Me thinks, things not delivered/transported by a truck would be a pretty short list.

Last edited:
Finally seeing $3.99 for regular in northern Wyoming. And about 19 cents more in Montana.

$3.619/gal is the going rate here, down $0.98/gal from our peak.

Gas buddy has some nice charting tools: https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts

We had flat-lined for a while last week, and now are back down a bit. We're almost back to the day of the Russian invasion.

Attachments

• gas9.JPG
    gas9.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 35
  • gas3.JPG
    gas3.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 31
We seem to have stabilized the last few weeks in the 3.29 to 3.39 range around here. What has been interesting to me, is the spread between regular and premium is down to 20 or 30 cents, which is down from almost a dollar a few months ago. Diesel is still a dollar more than regular... And I use/need them all. :facepalm:

Last edited:
We seem to have stabilized the last few weeks in the 3.29 to 3.39 range around here. What has been interesting to me, is the spread between regular and premium is down to 20 or 30 cents, which is down from almost a dollar a few months ago. Diesel is still a dollar more than regular... And I use/need them all. :facepalm:

When I think of "stable" prices, I think of the weekly bounces of 30 cents that the local dealers use to (I assume) maximize their profits. Often, along about Thursday, the dealers all (like clock work) add 30 cents to their price. Then maybe Monday or so, they drop it 30 cents. That's been "normal" here where I live in the heartland for years and years. I guess I look at that as a "good" because it means prices are not really rising. Buried in that 30 cent noise, prices are still dropping slowly. I've never had much issue with the 30 cent practice as I know about when it's going to happen and always have enough in the tank to wait until the 30 cent drop. Dealers are free to play their games just like I am.:LOL:

^^^^
We only have four gas stations in town and they always have the same prices. Seems like price collusion (fixing) to me but they get away with it...I guess those laws don't apply at the local levels.

Last edited:
^^^^
We only have four gas stations in town and they always have the same prices. Seems like price collusion (fixing) to me but they get away with it...I guess those laws don't apply at the local levels.

As long as they don't have a closed door meeting between the four of them at the local Holiday Inn and agree on price over drinks, they are golden!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom