Average gas price $6.20/gal by end of Summer

About 35 or 40 years ago a Marine Biologist friend had an MG, I think. Small British sports car. She had a problem at times in the winter whre the car would not start. She parked at the bottom of her steep driveway. Several tow jobs to the mechanic. No problem found, fired right up.
One day same happened, she called me for a ride to work. I happend to see one of those some time before in the junk yard , while scrounging for parts. Recalled seeing the fuel tank. The fuel pump was on the right side of the tank.
When I got to her place saw the car parked across driveway with the right side of the car uphill.
I pushed the car with her steering, so car was nearly level. A few cranks later fired up. Her gas tank was less then an eight full.
So I told her to park with the left side uphill when low on gas, or never get below half tank, as the pump would not see any fuel otherwise..
BTW gas was around 90 cents a gallon, with knives, dishes, salt shakers being handed out with fillups.

Last edited:
When I returned our trip rental car on October 2, Costco gas was $3.34/gal. No real lines, but it was a Sunday afternoon.

Today we filled up one of our cars, Costco gas is now $3.54/gal. Long lines returned - maybe due in part to folks in our area who are off due to the Federal Holiday.

Over the past month there were a lot of stations around here selling regular in $2.89 to $3.09 range. I even saw it as low as $2.79 at one station, IIRC. Now it's backup to the $3.29 to $3.59 range.

^^ Yep. Gas has gone back up as much as $0.20/gal here too. I assume due to OPECs plan to reduce production, we'll see - they used to have zero discipline as a group.

I assume due to OPECs plan to reduce production.

That’s exactly what it is. OPEC specifically stated that they were not happy with current gas prices and planned to limit production to raise prices.

That’s exactly what it is. OPEC specifically stated that they were not happy with current gas prices and planned to limit production to raise prices.

It's crude oil prices they control. And they seem to be happier with $100+ Brent crude. They also have publicly stated displeasure with our administration's recent visits to attempt to pressure them to increase production. But that could lead to a political discussion so let's just leave it at that.

I have not filled up my car since returning home 2 days ago. Was shocked to learn gas here is $4.99, and $4.79 at Costco. What's going on?

When I started my trip in Europe in early September the price was 1.8 euros/liter. It got down to 1.52 euros/liter at the end of my trip in early October.

Here in Phoenix, it's going up. But crude oil is not bad at $88/barrel. What's going on?

PS. It turned out that gas price is high in Phoenix because the required cleaner-burning gas comes from refineries in California.

Last edited:
I have not filled up my car since returning home 2 days ago. Was shocked to learn gas here is $4.99, and $4.79 at Costco. What's going on?

When I started my trip in Europe in early September the price was 1.8 euros/liter. It got down to 1.52 euros/liter at the end of my trip in early October.

Here in Phoenix, it's going up. But crude oil is not bad at $88/barrel. What's going on?

PS. It turned out that gas price is high in Phoenix because the required cleaner-burning gas comes from refineries in California.

Refinery turn arounds are starting and the switch to heating oil for the winter months. Then we have OPEC+ announcing a 2 MM bbl cut in production going forward. Lots of factors affect pricing on a local level too. I believe one refinery in Ca had an unplanned shutdown.

Be glad you aren't paying California prices!

Last edited:
Yeah, gas took a big jump at the old homestead from just under $4 to about $4.50. But returning to the Islands, I see that gas is around $5.50! Gaaaccckkk!

Gas again - here in NJ on 12/18 I passed two stations, Quik Chek and Shell(!) charging below $3/gal (pumped by attendants!!!). May have fallen further, as i haven't stirred since then.

Filled up yesterday here in Connecticut. $3.09 per gallon.

Maybe this thread should be re-titled "gas prices vary"

For regular, I paid $2.39 this weekend. (At one station) others were $2.49 and 2.59.

Only had to pay $2.79 for premium for my other car.:dance:

It’s a great lesson about predictions - especially ones that pick a date/time frame.

But, could we pronounce judgment that this particular crisis has ended? Is it over? Have the conditions that produced it dissipated? There will surely be another gas spike in the future, but has this one run its course?

Gas not far from my house at $2.95/gal. And it is not at Costco, I am guessing there it is lower.

Gas prices tend to normally fall this time of year as demand goes down. I would say that this "crisis" has ended yet, as all it takes are certain incidents or geopolitical maneuverings to start the price to go up again.

We got all the way down to $2.20, but it's back up to $2.59 now.

Wow, we're down to $2.899/gal at most local stations, with some lower exceptions $2.659/gal next county.

Down to $2.23/gal in Athens, GA. Not too shabby!

They (USA administrative branch) are going to start replenishing the strategic oil reserve.

Those who know me (and the moderators I've poked), know I lean conservative. But I don't call myself by any party. I wasn't a big fan of drawing it down, but I'm a fan of replenishing it now and have to say if oil doesn't spike during this replenishment, "Well done." Put your blinders down. If the reserve replenishes less than the draw down (still TBD because the announcement is only for 3 out of 180), then it's great news.

Last edited:
Gas is $2.579 per gallon here, same price as it was (according to Google Street View) in August 2019. I've learned the reasons for gas price changes that many people complain about are baloney.

I filled up Tuesday for $2.779 all 4 stations within eyesight were the same. This was super-boonies Chicago burb area. At home 30 miles away, it was $2.999. Some stations along the way were well over $3. I'll take the early Xmas present. Let's hope it stays or goes lower.

Gas is $2.579 per gallon here, same price as it was (according to Google Street View) in August 2019. I've learned the reasons for gas price changes that many people complain about are baloney.

And some aren't.

Back
Top Bottom