Average gas price $6.20/gal by end of Summer

With companies returning employees to work since Covid has become less concerning, I am wondering if companies will soon reinstate work from home policies due to gas prices. I pity those who have to commute 30-40 miles to work.

Haven't you heard? Just get an electric car!:facepalm:

Not here. They cut and ran about 30 years ago.

Same here. No Kroger affiliated stores down here. None of the National Chain large grocery stores can compete with H‑E‑B.

You may be surprised. Kroger’s owns a ton of banners

Supermarkets – Kroger, Ralphs, Dillons, Smith’s, King Soopers, Fry’s, QFC, City Market, Owen’s, Jay C, Pay Less, Baker’s, Gerbes, Harris Teeter, Pick ‘n Save, Metro Market, Mariano’s
Multi-department stores – Fred Meyer
Dillons Marketplace, Fry’s Marketplace, King Soopers Marketplace, Kroger Marketplace, Smith’s Marketplace
Price-impact warehouse stores – Food 4 Less, Foods Co

They left my area too but bought Harris Teeter later and now have the lions share of this market as an example.
I know it’s hard to believe, but none of those are down here. They may be in other parts of the state.

We have one Sprouts, but no Kroger, no Safeway, no Albertsons, etc.

Last edited:
Same here. No Kroger affiliated stores down here. None of the National Chain large grocery stores can compete with H‑E‑B.

I've long heard about HEB, but didn't have any knowledge of it until a few months ago when I was in Texas for the first time in many years. I was very impressed with the two HEB stores I went in. Every bit as good as the best large Krogers, so I have to agree with you Texans.

You may be surprised. Kroger’s owns a ton of banners

Supermarkets – Kroger, Ralphs, Dillons, Smith’s, King Soopers, Fry’s, QFC, City Market, Owen’s, Jay C, Pay Less, Baker’s, Gerbes, Harris Teeter, Pick ‘n Save, Metro Market, Mariano’s
Multi-department stores – Fred Meyer
Dillons Marketplace, Fry’s Marketplace, King Soopers Marketplace, Kroger Marketplace, Smith’s Marketplace
Price-impact warehouse stores – Food 4 Less, Foods Co

They left my area too but bought Harris Teeter later and now have the lions share of this market as an example.

No, as Audrey1 said, none of those chain names here. HEB dominates the market, followed by Walmart. There isn't even an Aldi's within 100 miles.

I've long heard about HEB, but didn't have any knowledge of it until a few months ago when I was in Texas for the first time in many years. I was very impressed with the two HEB stores I went in. Every bit as good as the best large Krogers, so I have to agree with you Texans.
HEB stores are better, ha ha.

HEB is privately held and it shows in their focus on long-term planning and execution. They have an extremely long history of defending their turf quite aggressively. Super innovative company, although we have to credit Whole Foods Market, headquartered in Austin TX, for a the biggest leap in innovations in the late 90s. HEB developed their Central Market line of fancy grocery stores to compete directory with Whole Foods Market in the largest cities. The terrific thing was that after a few years, a bunch of those Central Market enhancements were pushed out to their regular stores, with seriously upgraded produce sections, updated food counters, etc. They are very smart and efficient - each store is streamlined to cater to their regular clientele, so you’ll find the fancier stores near wealthier neighborhoods etc.

HEB doesn’t cover all of TX. They haven’t expanded out of their established range in a very long time.

^^^^^ We like HEB... Their big city stores are the best but even their small town stores are pretty dang good. Clean, well stocked, great selections, really good service.

Last edited:
yep same here in St, Louis, no krogers to speak of. Mostly two, family owned local "chains" (schnucks, dierbergs) and a few shop and saves, trader joes, aldi and Whole Foods.

Haven't you heard? Just get an electric car!:facepalm:

Not ready for prime time yet, maybe in another 5 years. Hopefully the grid will be upgraded and all homes will have solar by then:facepalm:

though i feel really bad for people who must drive to low wage jobs, big picture: this is a good thing. climate change yo! fossil fuel use HAS to go!

i suspect there will be some controversy over this mild reminder of the biggest problem facing all species. have at it.

I am in Chicago and gas prices are crazy, in some places low of ~5.75 and other over 6.25.
I heard a guy pulling a trailer saying, Hay Cabron. I hate to see his gas bill.

Not ready for prime time yet, maybe in another 5 years. Hopefully the grid will be upgraded [-]and all homes will have solar by then:facepalm:[/-]
Maybe nearer to that in 15 years. Maybe...

though i feel really bad for people who must drive to low wage jobs, big picture: this is a good thing. climate change yo! fossil fuel use HAS to go!

i suspect there will be some controversy over this mild reminder of the biggest problem facing all species. have at it.

I believe in climate (whatever.) I just don't think it's the end of the world as we know it. I also think we can adapt to it just like we adapt to other things. AND, with all their problems, FFs are THE reason we have the wealth, plenty, longevity, food security, medical/pharmaceutical "miracles" and a host of other things that we think of as the "good life." Also the reason we can make windmills and solar panels.

My "thing" has been that global warming (or whatever) is unstoppable. We'll either burn up our carbon at the rate we're going now (or faster as is predicted) or we'll burn it up slower. The result is the same with just a little more time to react to the issues climate (whatever) brings us.

Why not accept Climate (whatever) and get on with dealing with it's issues before they are upon us and harder to deal with?

Agree. We are still far far away technology, infrastructure, and power production/generation wise.
Even though we are being told otherwise. And few actually look into it to find out. Not sure how this will all end. As many are hoping the $6.50 I pay today for regular will force folks into elect cars. Cant make this stuff up.

Gas prices falling in NJ

2nd time I've been out in a week, and each time the price was lower than before.

Nah, this is nothing compared to the Siberian Flats, end Permian Extinction event. That was a doozy! And man was not "around" to help kick it off! :LOL:

I agree, but was responding to an EV pusher so I was being overly optimistic to not hurt his feelings:LOL:. That said, I really wonder, EV aspects aside, how good are Teslas in terms of comfort, drivability, handling, braking, AC/Heating, safety features, crash worthiness, ease of repairing, etc.

I just checked on Gasbuddy. Still the same price where I am.

However, I think motorists are feeling the effect, and will be cutting back the driving.

And wait till there are some layoff announcements and some other bad economic news. Things have a way of avalanching.

I just checked on Gasbuddy. Still the same price where I am.

However, I think motorists are feeling the effect, and will be cutting back the driving.

And wait till there are some layoff announcements and some other bad economic news. Things have a way of avalanching.

And to top it all off, Bitcoin went under $20K today.:facepalm:

My stash of cash dips under 7 figure with the assigned puts on Friday. Dang!

I need to conserve gunpowder for the grand finale.

And I don't mean to buy Bitcoin. :)

Let me know when the Grand Finale" starts! :cool:

If and when it comes, everybody will know. The wailing and teeth gnashing will be so loud, you cannot miss it.

2nd time I've been out in a week, and each time the price was lower than before.
Since the normal seasonal peak in gasoline prices is around Memorial Day, it's been my expectation that prices wouldn't climb further this year.

Yes. Kroger is everywhere, and operates under different names that they took over.

I still remember in an RV trip, buying grocery in Bozeman. The friendly clerk of this local store which was unknown to us asked us if we had their discount card. I said we were just passing by. He said just give him our home number. I asked why. He said, you will know.

Our number which was registered with Fry's showed up. I told the clerk I was impressed. Yes, they have a shared database from all their stores.
Interestingly, despite common ownership, graphics, and store designs, Giant in the DC area didn't interoperate with Stop & Shop in New York and New England last time I tried. I entered my sister's phone number on my last trip there--though I didn't steal her gas discount. :D

I agree, but was responding to an EV pusher so I was being overly optimistic to not hurt his feelings:LOL:. That said, I really wonder, EV aspects aside, how good are Teslas in terms of comfort, drivability, handling, braking, AC/Heating, safety features, crash worthiness, ease of repairing, etc.

Its more the ability for everyone to charge on a city block at the same time.
Insufficient elect. generation, 3rd world strip mining, batt. waste disposal etc. actual EV environmental issues being ignored. People don't seem to know where electricity even comes from. And in the end, how much will it actually change anything. Big picture wise. Parts of the media seems to be heavily $$$ invested in it. As its being sold as green transportation. And that could not be further from the truth.

Its more the ability for everyone to charge on a city block at the same time.
Insufficient elect. generation, 3rd world strip mining, batt. waste disposal etc. actual EV environmental issues being ignored. People don't seem to know where electricity even comes from. And in the end, how much will it actually change anything. Big picture wise. Parts of the media seems to be heavily $$$ invested in it. As its being sold as green transportation. And that could not be further from the truth.

not to mention consumer vehicles are a very small part of it. Until you see diesel trucks going green, it wont move the carbon needle. And surprise, we need capitalism, ingenuity, and innovation to get us there, not government edict.

Back
Top Bottom