Banktivity upgrade driving me mad!

Dd852

Full time employment: Posting here.
I don't know if any of you use Banktivity on the mac to track spending. I have used it for years and have been happy until today when I downloaded a trial of Banktivity 6, the latest upgrade. Set aside the fact that it is a paid upgrade ... when I migrated everything across it seemed to go perfectly smoothly.

However, my two key reports - spending for the past 12 months and spending for the past five years - are delivering different results than the previous version, Banktivity 5.

I've spent the afternoon trying to puzzle it out and can't, so I've filed an error ticket.

But I can't help feeling deeply depressed - if I can't rely on basic data like this, how do I actually fly the plane!

The "good news" is the new version has us way underspending ... so I guess I can keep the old version as a conservative view and the new version as a "treat"!

But it really irritates me. Infuriates me.

Is it just me or have other people encountered this?

Not a Banktivity user, so no specific comment but in general, I wait quite a while before I upgrade this type of software, so that many of the bugs are squared away once I'm getting into the game. You may want to just cool your jets for a while and see if there are some patches that come out.
I do agree though that this sounds like a rather serious problem and good for you that you double-checked. Most people would just plug away and assume all is well....

Face palm. Turns out it was basically my fault for not realizing the old version had a flaw! My finances are in multiple currencies but I always do my accounts in US dollar terms. I had assumed banktivity always updated its exchange rates. But - oops. It never did. And I have a lot of expenses in GBP. So all along I was doing my accounts using pre-Brexit rates instead of the current rates - which make the U.K. Much cheaper in US dollar terms. The new version downloaded the fresh rates. Sigh. I feel like a complete idiot. But at least it means my current spending rate is even lower than I thought!! Let's spend! My apologies for casting shade on banktivity when it was my own months of sloppily not checking (though why the program doesn't automatically update currencies is beyond me!)

Back
Top Bottom