Banktivity upgrade driving me mad!

Dd852

Full time employment: Posting here.
I don't know if any of you use Banktivity on the mac to track spending. I have used it for years and have been happy until today when I downloaded a trial of Banktivity 6, the latest upgrade. Set aside the fact that it is a paid upgrade ... when I migrated everything across it seemed to go perfectly smoothly.

However, my two key reports - spending for the past 12 months and spending for the past five years - are delivering different results than the previous version, Banktivity 5.

I've spent the afternoon trying to puzzle it out and can't, so I've filed an error ticket.

But I can't help feeling deeply depressed - if I can't rely on basic data like this, how do I actually fly the plane!

The "good news" is the new version has us way underspending ... so I guess I can keep the old version as a conservative view and the new version as a "treat"!

But it really irritates me. Infuriates me.

Is it just me or have other people encountered this?

Not a Banktivity user, so no specific comment but in general, I wait quite a while before I upgrade this type of software, so that many of the bugs are squared away once I'm getting into the game. You may want to just cool your jets for a while and see if there are some patches that come out.
I do agree though that this sounds like a rather serious problem and good for you that you double-checked. Most people would just plug away and assume all is well....

Face palm. Turns out it was basically my fault for not realizing the old version had a flaw! My finances are in multiple currencies but I always do my accounts in US dollar terms. I had assumed banktivity always updated its exchange rates. But - oops. It never did. And I have a lot of expenses in GBP. So all along I was doing my accounts using pre-Brexit rates instead of the current rates - which make the U.K. Much cheaper in US dollar terms. The new version downloaded the fresh rates. Sigh. I feel like a complete idiot. But at least it means my current spending rate is even lower than I thought!! Let's spend! My apologies for casting shade on banktivity when it was my own months of sloppily not checking (though why the program doesn't automatically update currencies is beyond me!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom